petrol additive for old and high mileage engines

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C240Sport97

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
SL400, VW California Coast and 911 GT3
I have a 210 estate E230 with 173k miles.

Don't use any super unleaded petrol because I don't think it will make much of a difference.

However, I am wondering whether there is any good additive which will clean the engine (i.e. the valves, cylinders etc) more effectively than standard unleaded.

Thoughts and suggestions most welcomed.

I'd steer clear of any additives other than throwing in some injector cleaner in the tank once a year or so if its not already being done during normal services.

STP fuel injector cleaner and then run it on Shell V power for a few tankfuls as there is lots of cleaners in that

As i just mentioned in the supermarket fuels thread, adding cleaning agenst can cause problems in old cars, the cleaned off dirt has to go somewhere, and it usually clogs filters but can get into the carb or injectors, if you want it degunked take it apart and do it properly, otherwise just let it be.

As i just mentioned in the supermarket fuels thread, adding cleaning agenst can cause problems in old cars, the cleaned off dirt has to go somewhere, and it usually clogs filters but can get into the carb or injectors, if you want it degunked take it apart and do it properly, otherwise just let it be.

that's what kicked me off

thanks

A lot of the build up is just burned off out of the exhaust a bottle of injector cleaner every now and then can work wonders

Wouldnt hurt to fit new filters as a matter or course if you dont know when they were lasted replaced

Recommended to me by Honest John (Daily Telegraph), the VAG fuel additive (part number G 001 700 03) works a treat. It's a cleaner and RON booster. It has certainly been a factor in very low emissions values at MOT tests of my cars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom