Petrol and Amg cars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sudi10

Car
C63 amg
Hey All
I have a c63 and I have noticed that in the owners manual it states that premium fuel should be used. Does this mean you can only fill it up with BP ultimate 97 for example?

Let me know as I don't mind filling it with premium fuel but sometimes it's not always available

Thank you for your help

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

I personally use Tesco Momentum and it 99 ron. I have used the normal fuel but its returns less MPG and therefore premium is pretty much cost neutral for my car.

AMG engines do recommend a high octane fuel such as Shell V Power/ BP Ultimate. The odd occasional few gallons of 95 ron is unlikely to harm the car, but I'd use the good stuff wherever possible.

You should use the higher octane fuel and use lower when higher is not available.

The manual usually says something like '95 can be used' but it will have a minimum you should normally try and use - probably 97 or 98 I would guess.

I always use Momentum 99 too as it about £5 difference per tank to use lower octane fuel.

Generally speaking - why would anyone buy an AMG and skimp on fuel...

I would also say if you fill up with 95 then I believe it says not to give it full beans but to be honest I would only worry if I was doing it regularly.

Tesco or Shell V Power. BP Ultimate is totally toss in comparison.

This was back to back testing I did with 3 tank fulls of each. And the BP was utter pants.

I take it in turns, 1 fill up with 'normal' and 1 with Super, never does any harm!

If your wishing to take out someone in the car to show them the acceleration/fancy flooring it from time to time, make sure you have the Super in otherwise you will notice it!

Tesco or Shell V Power. BP Ultimate is totally toss in comparison.

This was back to back testing I did with 3 tank fulls of each. And the BP was utter pants.

This may be so, however the OP did not ask which fuel is best, he simply asked which fuels meet the owners manual's spec... I believe the correct answer is any high octane fuel (97 or higher) whatever the brand.

Be it petrol or diesel, my V8's are only ever fed VPower + Nitro; whenever I've tried 'normal' diesel in the ML, it is worse on fuel (fact) and feels a little sluggish (maybe a placebo). The E 55 has only ever been run on VPower during my ownership so I can't really compare it.

Always use Higher octane fuel if you want the car to perform well. Lower octane fuel will not harm the engine. It will only make it run slightly less power.

The engine seems to struggle to hit Ignition Timing targets even with Regular 97 Octane. However with Shell V power it seems to hit Targets ok.

I have been doing some Data Logging :D

I'm pretty sure my old 2010 C63 stated minimum 98 not 97 RON and that's why I always stuck with Shell V Power.

V Power all the way

I use V-Power or Momentum usually, if I get caught in the middle of nowhere without a Tesco or Shell garage, I just put £20's worth of 95 RON in.

I can't say I've noticed much of a difference between fuels that others mention, it's just habit now to go for a premium fuel.

The engine seems to struggle to hit Ignition Timing targets even with Regular 97 Octane. However with Shell V power it seems to hit Targets ok.

I have been doing some Data Logging :D
Out of curiosity, have you tried Tesco Momentum?

My E63 says 98 RON in the fuel flap but I have noticed most high octane is 97.

Like a lot here I use V Power but have found the high octane Texaco stuff good in my CLK55 (not tried it in the E63 yet)

Like a lot here I use V Power but have found the high octane Texaco stuff good in my CLK55 (not tried it in the E63 yet)
FWIW, I use both V-Power and Momentum in my E63 and there's nothing to choose between them in terms of fuel consumption or (seat of the pants measured) performance. Momentum is a few pennies cheaper - and every little helps ;)

Recently was forced to use three consecutive tanks of French supermarket 95 Ron. After the third one the car began to run extremely lumpy, the CEL came on and then it shut down completely and refused to start again. The only thing to cure it was a "reboot" by disconnecting the battery.

When I got back to the UK and plugged into STAR there were two error messages relating to fuel pressure and I was asked if I had been using 95 RON.

Normal diet is Momentum and in the days previous to France it had been on Italian 100 RON.

I'm guessing she didn't like mixing her drinks to that extent.

I know my car is not AMG but it's still 5.0 V8 any way there is a Asda petrol station being built down the road from me is there prem fuel any good ..only have a BP near me ...I do go to shell near my work when I can

Recently was forced to use three consecutive tanks of French supermarket 95 Ron. After the third one the car began to run extremely lumpy, the CEL came on and then it shut down completely and refused to start again. The only thing to cure it was a "reboot" by disconnecting the battery.

When I got back to the UK and plugged into STAR there were two error messages relating to fuel pressure and I was asked if I had been using 95 RON.

Normal diet is Momentum and in the days previous to France it had been on Italian 100 RON.

I'm guessing she didn't like mixing her drinks to that extent.

Sorry but I find that hard to beleive... I think there will be more to it...Such as some detritus in the tank.

Although 97+ is recommended, even AMG engines are desigined to run on much lower octanes. In many countries 95 would be considered premium.
The engine has sensors to adjust the timing to compensate for this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom