Petrol engined garden tools

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz_l

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Mini Cooper S, BMW M140i
Greetings, citizens.

After a bit of advice re. the above. SWMBO is starting to bang on about trimming the hedge in the back garden as it's untidy (read out of control). She's got a point, if I'm honest. Yew, I believe, and about 8 foot high - it needs a good 2 foot lopping off the top and both sides cleaning up. It's not particularly long - 40 feet or so - but I think it's going to take a good few hours to whittle down, so cordless probably isn't an option. The magnolia on the back side of the house also needs a serious hacking as it's overgrown the satellite dish and buggers up the signal at the first hint of rain.

So I figured I could get a new toy and tackle them both at once - two birds, one stone etc. Normally, I'm an advocate of "buy the best you can", but I might have to cut corners this time - it's something that's only going to get used once or twice a year, not every weekend.

Currently I'm thinking along the lines of this:

52cc petrol brushcutter 4in1 gardening multi tool set brush cutter hedge trimmer | eBay

or possibly this:

Titan TTK587GDO 1.1hp 25.4cc Petrol Landscaping Multi-Tool | Garden Multi-Tools | Screwfix.com

I realise for the money they're not going to be great, but will they last more than 5 minutes? As I say, not a fan of cheap tools, but if I go and get the equivalent Stihl or Husqvarna I could easily drop a grand on it, which isn't happening..

Cheers,

Gaz

I had a similar problem and ended up with this

http://www.sgs-engineering.com/garden-tools/strimmers/sct501-52cc-five-in-one-multi-tool

It's excellent, very well made (some bits are over engineered in my opinion) had it for 2 years and used everything apart from the brush cutter. Never had any problems starting it and it extends to a decent height and still cuts. Highly recommended.

I tried the cheap and cheerful route - it lasted minutes! In ended up buying the Stihl Kombi tool and haven't looked back. The difference in quality and performance is staggering. I only use a few times a year for hedging - just done the equipment of approx 500 - 600 linear foot of beech hedging with it - but by having the extra attachments it means more use, especially with the strimmer a d pole pruner. Okay, I bought the most powerful, therefore expensive, engine unit, so money could be saved by going lower powered. Stihl have been doing some sort of special summer promotion that could be worth investigating.

The other option is just buy a decent hedge trimmer - I also have the top model Stihl single edged hedge trimmer, which is a fantastic tool and what I always used prior to the Kombi tool.

FYI - my hedging is generally about 10'-12' tall and varies in thickness from about 6'-8' and 400'-500' long. It is primarily beech combined with Holly, brambles, elder, and convolulus. I have tended to cut it once every 2 years and trim the edges a couple of times per year.

I had a similar problem and ended up with this

52cc 5 in 1 Cutting Multi-Tool Set | Gardening | SGS Engineering

It's excellent, very well made (some bits are over engineered in my opinion) had it for 2 years and used everything apart from the brush cutter. Never had any problems starting it and it extends to a decent height and still cuts. Highly recommended.

That looks very like the one Axminster sell.

I had a Ryobi and it was awful. The one I bought from Axminster went back because the drive shafts fell out of the tubing and wouldn't go back in.

As Chris mentioned get a Stihl if you can. Even a second hand one is going to be good. My brothers landscape gardening business has been using them for twenty years. He won't buy anything else which is a good recommendation in itself.

Forget petrol, go for the cordless 48v Mountfield range; we got my grandad the extendable hedge trimmer and I don't think he's had to recharge the battery yet!

The garden place we bought it from said that unless you're doing really heavy landscaping it would be more than ample and they were right; he can do his 40m of privet and it barely used a quarter charge and cuts through leaves and branches like a hot knife through butter.

I'm normally very cynical where tools are concerned but I really can't recommend the set-up enough, you will not be disappointed.

Thanks for all the replies. In the end I decided I wasn't going to chuck any more money at it than I had to, and bought the Titan one. I'm 5 minutes away from a Screwfix and they had it in stock, I'm lazy and you can put the rest together for yourselves..

To be fair, it isn't bad for the money. Knowing that small 2 stroke engines can be temperamental I wasn't expecting much, but it starts easily, runs fine and doesn't use much juice. It's bloody loud though (112 dB sticker on the bottom, best not take it to any track days :)). Fortunately I invested in some decent ear defenders when I bought it.

Only used the mini chainsaw/lopper and hedge trimmer attachments, they munched through the vegetation no problems. The balance of the machine isn't that great, although it's a bit of a fatty so that doesn't help. The drive shaft extension does the job but it's a bit of a pig to fit, improvements could be made there.

So the hedge and tree are looking suitably thinned out, and my arms are killing me. Off for a soak in the tub now to soothe the aching muscles...

Cheers,

Gaz

Come on... where's the bush-trimming gags?

Poor effort.

C -

I just rent one, its always serviced,sharpened,no theft worries. £20 for the weekend.

I love a neatly trimmed bush!

Always good to wacky off a bush! Ooer!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom