petrol gauge.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SilverSaloon

MB Enthusiast
Car
1994 W124 E300D Estate, 1985 R107 280SL
firstly sorry if this is in the wrong forum, wasnt sure what category this would fall under....

my petrol gauge on my 1999 (pre facelift) CLK seems to sometimes not work. if i start up the engine it wont rise to the amount of petrol in it, and just stay as empty even though there is a full tank of fuel in....

anyone know whether this is a common CLK fault? i have just bought the car so one reason i can think of is that the float inside the tank is sticking as it hasnt been filled up a lot recently, although i have filled the tank twice now and it still is doing it. it doesnt always do it.... also the 1st time i filled up it dropped to 1/4 of a tank in 30 miles and then gradually rose again to 3/4 of a tank. it was ok after that as long as i didnt restart the engine....

any ideas?

Very common problem.

Fuel Sender is faulty.

Correct forum is electronics, but would advise a search, as this has been covered many times before.

S.

SilverSaloon said:
firstly sorry if this is in the wrong forum, wasnt sure what category this would fall under....

my petrol gauge on my 1999 (pre facelift) CLK seems to sometimes not work. if i start up the engine it wont rise to the amount of petrol in it, and just stay as empty even though there is a full tank of fuel in....

anyone know whether this is a common CLK fault? i have just bought the car so one reason i can think of is that the float inside the tank is sticking as it hasnt been filled up a lot recently, although i have filled the tank twice now and it still is doing it. it doesnt always do it.... also the 1st time i filled up it dropped to 1/4 of a tank in 30 miles and then gradually rose again to 3/4 of a tank. it was ok after that as long as i didnt restart the engine....

any ideas?

I had the same fault and it is due to the sender units x 2 failing. I had mine replaced under warrenty as it is a known fault. Make sure when you book it in to the stealer that the tank is near empty cause thats they way it will come back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom