Petrol injector cleaning on the CLS55 and others

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Billy-cls55

Car
Hi guys,

As some of you know I stripped my car to do the cam covers, but decided to powder coat the cam covers and inlets, also removed my fuel rail, and put the injectors in for flow testing and cleaning, some of mine needed cleaning 4 or 5 times, now the flow is perfect across all injectors and exceeds the bosch tolerance thus as good as new, If a member wants to send them to me I can have them done, works out £15 + vat and return delivery 48 hour turn around. I have tried many cleaners over recent months by way of preventative just shows you if you want them cleaned properly then for me was the machine option. My car even made great power but when monitored at idle the smooth running was all over the place, and hopefully this cleaning will now cure.

how easy/hard is it to remove fuel rail?

Pretty straight forward job from memory.

Take off airbox's
Remove surge tanks/intake (the ones with AMG logo on them)
Remove throttle body (4 screws)
Unplug the injector loom from each injector
Remove fuel rail securing bolts
Undo the fuel rail supply (passenger side rear)
Lift off rail with injectors

Putting back is reverse but be careful to seat the rail evenly otherwise you can distort the injector rubber seals (fit new ones anyway).

Pretty straight forward job from memory.

Take off airbox's
Remove surge tanks/intake (the ones with AMG logo on them)
Remove throttle body (4 screws)
Unplug the injector loom from each injector
Remove fuel rail securing bolts
Undo the fuel rail supply (passenger side rear)
Lift off rail with injectors

Putting back is reverse but be careful to seat the rail evenly otherwise you can distort the injector rubber seals (fit new ones anyway).

Sounds about right Paul, they replaced my lower orings foc, as the top ones are fine, think Mercedes charge around £2.50 each for them, I have also ordered the injector retaining clips only a few pounds for x 8

Last edited:
billy-cls55

what is the mileage on your car?

Sounds good.

Re your smooth running at idle you should check your breather hose.

Breather was fine, the injectors did not flow correctly, don't know if this was the cause, but soon will when back together, either way mine needed doing, better paying now that having a cylinder run lean on me. For the sake of a few £££s it's certainly worth considering. Especially when you look at what they cost new.

Last edited:
I might get mine done at some point so will bear this in mind. I'm not sure removal and refitting is a job I'd want to do myself though.

Any update? Did this cure your smooth running issue?

Yes smooth as silk, but don't forget I did more work not just the injectors, most misfires are caused by leaking cam cover that allows oil to leak into the spark plugs, but my injectors needed doing that's a fact, but my cam covers were leaking as well, I also done the spark plugs for a colder set.

Bit more info on injector cleaning here

http://www.injectortune.co.uk/ note I did not use these guys but the process is much the same, they advise 50k miles

Last edited:
Any update? Did this cure your smooth running issue?

If you or anyone is having problems, put it on a diagnostics and check the camshaft sensor, this is a common problem in mercs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom