Petrol Prices Set To Rise Once More, Say AA

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ringway, Jun 17, 2011.

1. ringway

ringway MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Audi A6 Avant 3.0 Bi TDI - A Fantastic Car! Range Rover Supercharged - Lovely! Also R32 & S4.
    Petrol Prices Set To Rise Once More, Say AA.

LINK.

2. Doodle

Doodle MB Enthusiast

Car:
    R129, Leon Cupra 290, BMW R100
    "Without transparency in the oil and fuel markets and a regulator to ensure fair prices, drivers, consumers and the nation are open to being ripped off by whoever wants to make an extra buck."

So, that would be the Government mostly :D

3. grober

grober MB Master

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
    The reason petrol prices rise at this time of year is because this is when the population of the USA takes their annual" road trip" with their 4x4 or unfeasibly large motor home. There is plenty oil---- that's not the problem. What's lacking is refining capacity to produce petrol or diesel. This has gradually diminished over the years as the oil giants divest themselves of their refining capacity to third parties. limited supply+ increase demand= price rise. Factor in the huge increase in car ownership in China which artificially subsidises the internal price of oil to fuel economic growth and its no wonder we have to pay more for fuel --its a world auction and we are the losers.:(

3 people like this.
  4. KillerHERTZ

KillerHERTZ Administrator Staff Member

Car:
    CLS63 AMG
    £1.50 will seem cheap come Christmas...

5. wemorgan

wemorgan MB Enthusiast

Car:
    A205 C220d
    When fuel was sub £1 any rise looked significant as it approach the milestone of £1/litre. Now we're a long way past it I barely raise an eyebrow with each increase. When it get's close to £2, which it inevitably will I may raise an eeybrow once more.

Car sharing, solar power, conservation will soon be on the lips on even the most harden cynic. You don't have to believe in any of it, but when it hits you hard in the pocket it's difficult to ignore.

6. Shude

Shude Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CLK55 AMG
    Milk has also gone up in price. Hang on, so has bread! Deckchairs, trouser presses, houses and practically everything else except technology and cars it seems!
    Petrol right now is about £1.50 per litre. 10 years ago it was nearly a pound. This is called inflation is it not and unless I'm mistaken history has shown us that money devalues to about half every 10 years.

So the headline really needs to be that petrol has never been so cheap!

7. KillerHERTZ

KillerHERTZ Administrator Staff Member

Car:
    CLS63 AMG
    10 years ago Petrol was 60-65p!

8. wemorgan

wemorgan MB Enthusiast

Car:
    A205 C220d
  9. mbenz1977

mbenz1977 Active Member

Car:
    2014 CLS320 CDI
    petrol

OMG not again looks like i'll have to convert my car to lpg..:thumb:

10. mbenz1977

mbenz1977 Active Member

Car:
    2014 CLS320 CDI
    petrol

Hey ! does anyone know any good lpg garages in the midlands who convert petrol mercs to lpg?

11. Shude

Shude Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CLK55 AMG
    Try adding a bit to that :) . Back in 2001 the price of a litre of 95 RON unleaded was about 80p. Sounds cheap but you could buy a terraced house in need of modernising for £20k back then too.

12. Doodle

Doodle MB Enthusiast

Car:
    R129, Leon Cupra 290, BMW R100
    All counts for naught if wages don't follow inflation too though.

2 people like this.
  13. janner

janner MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E320 Turbo Technics
    In part because tractors and milk tankers are powered by diesel...:devil:

14. Pringles

Pringles Active Member

Car:
    Searching for another
    Although I still love my car, I have pretty much stopped using it for short trips now. I have fallen in love with the humble bicycle again after 20 years without one and I have to say it has been a pretty good experience so far,it even goes on the train with me.

The kids complain but slowly the penny is dropping and they have all got off their backsides and walk everywhere now. With the cost of insurance as well, my teenagers stand no chance of getting a car and I think that penny is starting to drop as well.

A bit sad, because driving is still an enjoyable life experience for young people but like home ownership, marriage, starting a family, I think that the average age when people drive their own car (legally) will rise.

15. snoop51

snoop51 Active Member

Car:
    MB E350 CDI Sport w/ command & leather
    Is anyone surprised by this? Seriously? The middle east is in turmoil, the oil companies never drop the prices as quick as they put them up and never by the same margins. They are unfortunately just damned greedy it's a fact of life as sure as death & taxes.:(
    Unfortunately wages do not increase at the same pace, I'm now wondering whether I should have got the C class 250CDI instead.:rolleyes: Naaah only kidding they aren't pricing me out of this car yet. :p:p:p

16. ianrandom

ianrandom Active Member

Berks mainly, UK. Devon too a lot of the time.
    Car:
    1986 420SE, 1990 420SEC, 1989 2CV6.
    Have to agree. I've cycled short distances all my life rather than drive. Anything above 20ish miles and i'll likely drive. The rest i cycle, rain or shine, i enjoy it and generally around town its a whole lot quicker and less frustrating.
    Its a shame, i so hate seeing people drive down to the end of the road. I always feel its spoiling it for less wasteful people. I love driving my car, but i use it to drive Reading to Devon for the most part. It does nearly 30mpg on a run like that.
    And also short journeys are so bad for the car. Hate that thought.

Petrol isnt going to get any cheaper. And i read research the other day about how bad electric cars are for the environment. I guess they'll get better, but i wonder how long we'll all be 'allowed' to drive around in our petrol cars :(

17. Benzmanc

Benzmanc MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Tesla Model 3 + Honda Blackbird
    Tankers yes but tractors are classed as plant and run on gas oil (red diesel) which has no fuel duty tax

Daz

18. John

John Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    I wish.
    "The brief dip in petrol prices appears to have come to an end."

I think I blinked when this happened...

I remember the fuel strikes of 2000 but of course they changed the law to make it illegal to block fuel depots...

At that point, my local-to-work BP garage in Bracknell was selling 97RON at around a £1.00 per litre which was a nightmare as I had an M3 then.

However, if the duty on fuel was reduced from 80p per litre, this would perhaps provide some respite...

1 person likes this.
  19. st4

st4 Banned

Car:
    C220cdi tourer
    In the short term, but they will ultimately go one way, up.

I still think we are due a lull in prices later on, once the middle east turmoil sorts out, things will drop price wise.

20. st13phil

st13phil MB Enthusiast

Car:
    His - Denim Blue A220 AMG Line Premium / Hers - Obsidian Black R172 SLK55
    I'm currently in the USA and yesterday filled up the rental Caddy CTS I'm driving. US$48 brimmed it. It would have cost me the equivalent of US$108 to buy the same quantity of petrol in the UK. Locals who I'm working with told me that they couldn't afford to come to work if gas cost them that much. It's all relative.