Petrol S Class bargains....or are they?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Reggie-rock

Car
2015 E Class coupe 220 diesel bluetec, 2009 Mitsubishi Colt 1.3
I have noticed S Class values dropping to affordable levels where one can get a 2006 or younger, low mileage example for around £10,000 that runs on good old fashioned petrol which I have a preference too, as low mpg is no problem for me.
I was wondering is it the high cost of servicing and air suspension (which is expensive to put right when it goes wrong) and the G7 auto box(which I have in mine with no problems after oil change) that deflates used prices?

Any S Class petrol owners out there?

Old S-Class look nice but cost a fortune to keep on the road, every week something else goes wrong, same story with newer ones, but at least they're worth something.

Not always a nightmare, i have an s 500 1999, lovely car, horror stories all over the internet about lots of cars, sure it's not worth alot, but it's my barge, and i like it. air suspension works great, as does everything else, servicing costs- diy, no problems.

I have an S500 and I think the engine is lovely and silky smooth. I don't do a lot of miles so petrol is better than diesel for me. Don't forget before the engine is warmed up, diesel has very poor fuel consumption.

I'm glad I bought an S500 rather than a S350 CDi.

Diesel isn't really cheaper when it comes to servicing and air suspension.

The thing is, the S Class is a very very complicated car (fibre optics, radar, massage, all that jazz). So in general parts and labour rate are both double that of let's say a C Class. Also there's many many more components in the S. So get one with a 12 month warranty if possible...

I really like the look of the S Class, tempted by the petrol version. I like wooden steering wheel, pan roof and the spoke wheels. What is the alternative, a CLS? An E Class?

Just want a luxury car for second hand prices.

I don't do a lot of miles and I am enjoying servicing my 2005 C Class.

I bought my second S Class a S500L earlier this year, a couple of decades after having traded in my W126 S420L at just under 100,000miles she gave excellent service, and no trouble over that time, just service items. I then had a number of E Class's over the intervening period.

Second time around with ownership of an S Class for me, and so far it has not disappointed at all, I am really pleased to be back in an S Class once again. We are just back from a few weeks driving in France, a real joy over 3,000miles added to her total now. My best consumption that I have seen so far has been 35.8mpg on a 398mile 6.5hour drive, impressive for a car of her size and weight.

My overall consumption during my ownership to date 6,600miles approx, including city and frequent heavy traffic driving is 29.5mpg.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom