Petrol saloon/coupe E-Class under £3000

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mbzoo123

Car
puma
I have a new role which means visiting customers.( self employed ) and I would like a stylish car that isn't too brash but nice looking- hence the E-Class

I like the shape of the 05/06 E-Class Kompressor

I will only do about 6k miles a year so want a petrol saloon/coupe and not worried about MPG

Although I am not a mechanic and have a decent local one hopefully they are reasonably reliable ?

Any suggestions advice on my choice/budget

cheers

CLK would be brilliant

How about this one?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201706056153640?atmobcid=soc3

The 1.8 supercharged engine is smooth and quiet and has a bit of oomph when you want it. I used to average 32-35mpg from mine. Ideally a post-facelift model like this one is better but either way a well-maintained, low mileage one is a lot of car for £3k. Would have been £30k plus new.

Also looks smart and confident when you arrive at a client's without being flashy and so much more classy than a BMW, Audi or other repmobile.

Last edited:
A clk 209 would fit the bill nicely. Try and find one with an AMG kit fitted to it, looks very stylish and classy in an understated way (if that makes sense) and definitely a lot of car for you money, also it doesn't look 'too' dated with it having the nice coupe silhouette.

Is a CLK not a two door ?

Not the best for driving clients around in - few would want to clamber into the back seat .

Even E Class can be limited for leg room in the back .

For space and comfort , you can't beat an S Class - that's why companies who do that kind of thing run them .

Initially that that about driving clients about in a coupe, but the OP refers to 'visiting clients' oppose to taking them out, as well as mentioning a coupe, hence the coupe recommendation :)

However if it was for 'driving clients around' then I would agree, a coupe would be out of the question, unless the clients were children :D

Clk

Thanks for the comments

Yes I will be only visiting clients. The only other time I will have more than 2 is when I take the family on holiday to cornwall ( 4 of us )

So re a CLK coupe which engine ( I know someone mentioned the 109..but I need to research what that is )

1.8, 2.0, 2.6, 3.2 ?

Any known problems with particular years ...

cheers

..and while I am on

I have heard of BIG problems with the 'SBC' for pre 2006 models ?

Why not a diesel ?.. well I guess I am one of the 'worryiers'..whats going to happen in the next 4 years with diesel tax, insurance etc etc...

So for say max £3500 which is more likely to not give me a problems

CLK 1.8/2.6 etc

CDI 2.7/3.2

Even a C-Class

Cheers

Thanks for the comments

Yes I will be only visiting clients. The only other time I will have more than 2 is when I take the family on holiday to cornwall ( 4 of us )

So re a CLK coupe which engine ( I know someone mentioned the 109..but I need to research what that is )

1.8, 2.0, 2.6, 3.2 ?

Any known problems with particular years ...

cheers

3.2 mate...

It's bloody brilliant...

The 320 is also very reliable...

3.2 has good fuel economy on motorway but fun!!
I get 35mpg normally on motorway

Silky smooth and excellent power delivery + good noise when you give it some

CLK320 , an 04-05 model would have the ive been told 'more reliable' 5 speed auto gearbox. It will also have the facelift dash which is much nicer

I've got one it's excellent, mines an 03... but I had the dash facelifted
IMG_0846.jpg

IMG_0844.jpg

Ensure to get one with the AMG kit

Also check for the clicking dash , mess around with the heating settings on the test drive... also check all electrics including xenon lights work.

I'll get some more photos of mine for you when I get home

Also if you need any help on this model feel free to ask

Last edited:
Last edited:
..and while I am on

I have heard of BIG problems with the 'SBC' for pre 2006 models ?

Why not a diesel ?.. well I guess I am one of the 'worryiers'..whats going to happen in the next 4 years with diesel tax, insurance etc etc...

So for say max £3500 which is more likely to not give me a problems

CLK 1.8/2.6 etc

CDI 2.7/3.2

Even a C-Class

Cheers

Clk doesn't have SBC so no worries about that

Yep the 320 petrol is perfect again :)

Thanks for that..I must admit the 320clk petrol sounds perfect for my needs...yours look stunning

Why choose one with amg option ?

As for manual vs auto...I guess auto all the time
Cheers

Thanks for that..I must admit the 320clk petrol sounds perfect for my needs...yours look stunning

Why choose one with amg option ?

As for manual vs auto...I guess auto all the time
Cheers

Thanks for the comment!

The AMG kit has the AMG front bumper, side skirts, rear bumper and lip spoiler
It also has the bigger 18" rims compared to 16" on standard

Comparison:

Non AMG

AMG kit
mb_1658.jpg

It's personal opinion really!

On the other hand smaller rims mean better ride and cheaper tyres? It's up to you

You may find you prefer the non AMG styled one

The first one is a 2002 w209, pre-04 cars are not galvanised so they often get rusty rear arches and sometimes other parts of the body too. See my thread in the project section on my car I had to have the boot lid and rear left quarter panel resprayed.

You wanna try get a 04 car to avoid this issue.

The second one you have linked is the W208 older shape, I'd try get a w209 personally

Gimme a few mins and I'll try find something

Nothing's catching my eye on auto trader at the moment

Cheers
Abs

If you sure you don't mind not having the AMG styling here's a few I found:

Mercedes-Benz CLK 3.2 CLK320 Avantgarde 2dr

Negotiable to £3k?

Fully spec'd , heated seats, comand etc
Mercedes-Benz CLK Clk320 Elegance 3.2 2dr

A nice convertible with nice interior.. but as it's 2003 check the rear arches for rust and if there is then haggle and knock off at least £150 a side from the seller to have it repaired as long as it hasn't spread into the main bodywork... not a big deal in my opinion

Looks nice
Mercedes-Benz CLK 3.2 CLK320 Elegance 2dr

IMO the market seems a bit crap at the moment, When I was looking for my car there were loads... keep looking and don't rush...

Clk

First..thanks very much for spending the time looking. I will check those out this morning

Second..I am bit confused. I also posted on another MB forum (mercedesclub) and they gave me a completely different answer on the SBC

I asked about this one..

Mercedes-Benz CLK 3.2 CLK320 Avantgarde 2dr

and the answer was

"That has SBC, avoid..."

My head hurts !..lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom