Petrol Station Etiquette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

drdolittle

Car
Jaguar XF 3.0 Diesel S, Mercedes Benz C-Class Sport 58-reg
Hi All,

On my way home this afternoon I had to visit my local Shell. As I entered the forecourt, I noticed a chavved up Peugeot 306 was waiting at the entrance to the forecourt as all the pumps were occupied. Within 15 seconds there were at least 5 cars queuing behind me and the chav mobile. The queue began to extend out on to the road and began to block traffic on the road too.

So I decided rather than block the road etc, I would pick a pump and park my car behind the car using it and wait for it to become free. Hence reducing the traffic build up behind me.

As I went around the chav mobile, 2 pumps became free so I decided to head for 1 of them and leave the free pump closest to the chav mobile free for him. He suddenly began blasting his horn and flashing his lights etc. I ignored the idiot and parked my car at the pump. He then came flying up behind my car with his horn still blaring. I still ignored him and began to fill up my car at which point he decides to get out of his car and began to question my parenthood, give me the 2 finger salute with the coffee beans shake, etc etc.

I subsequently <cough> politely pointed out his error in blocking the entrance and questioned his ability to make a decision before telling him to go and fornicate with himself.

Before anyone asks, both of the pumps that became free were on the same side so there was no issue with the pump being on the wrong side of the car etc.

Anyone else had any "interesting" experiences at petrol stations?

Happens a lot...especially with people waiting for the right side. I can fill my car from either side...so everyone else can too. And yet I have seen a queue waiting for a particular pump, with 4 (yes 4) others free, on the wrong side.

I generally pick a pump and queue up behind it. This usually then turns out to be the person who then does their weekly shop in the store, whilst leaving their car parked on the pump, then going to pay.

Sometimes the forecourt design determines if queuing is sensible or not.

Happens a lot...especially with people waiting for the right side. I can fill my car from either side...so everyone else can too. And yet I have seen a queue waiting for a particular pump, with 4 (yes 4) others free, on the wrong side.

Some garages actively discourage this, TESCO (in my area at least) wouldn't authorise a pump if you had it stretched across your car.

Sainsbury installed extra long pump pipes to encourage it.

At Shell they only have Optimax at certain pumps so he may have been waiting specifically for one with Optimax to give his chav mobile an extra 15BHP ;), though he should have just picked a pump and waited behind the car that was at the pump.

At Shell they only have Optimax at certain pumps so he may have been waiting specifically for one with Optimax to give his chav mobile an extra 15BHP ;), though he should have just picked a pump and waited behind the car that was at the pump.

LOL LOL LOL. He had a very tatty looking 1.9 diesel 306 on a S-reg. The only way Optimax would have made it better was if somebody poured Optimax all over it and set fire to it :)

However, the pump I chose was exactly the same as the other free pump - both with bog standard unleaded and bog standard diesel :confused:

I try and pick a pump where the car is there but no sign of the driver summising he's paying for his fuel or a woman as they generally put a small amount in

Always amazes me how many people sit queueing for a particular side pump in petrol stations with huge forecourts. If the side I need isn't available, 9/10 I just turn the car round and pull up facing the other way.

Always amazes me how many people sit queueing for a particular side pump in petrol stations with huge forecourts. If the side I need isn't available, 9/10 I just turn the car round and pull up facing the other way.

I find the hoses are long enough to fill on either side. Using my right hand to hold the nozzle and my left to support the hose if parked on the right side of the pump. On many forecourts turning the car is not an option because they operate a one way system.

I'm lucky i have the choice of 3 petrol stations all close together and all competing on price. I hate queuing so will go to the one with the least customers. When theres queues it tends to be OAP's dithering

I try and pick a pump where the car is there but no sign of the driver summising he's paying for his fuel or a woman as they generally put a small amount in

From my experience:

Women + Shop (or Any type of Retail Outlet) = A substantial period of time :)

I find the hoses are long enough to fill on either side. Using my right hand to hold the nozzle and my left to support the hose if parked on the right side of the pump. On many forecourts turning the car is not an option because they operate a one way system.

They're not always long enough (especially at the older stations with fixed hoses).

Also, saves dragging hoses over the roof/boot of your car :)

Will

They're not always long enough (especially at the older stations with fixed hoses).

Also, saves dragging hoses over the roof/boot of your car :)

Will

I use my left hand to hold the hose off the car.

From my experience:

Women + Shop (or Any type of Retail Outlet) = A substantial period of time :)

The one I use is attached as such to a large supermarket so that isn't a problem. I also find going about 3:20 is a quiet time, school pick up

Yep, sometimes possible - but like I say, still a fair few older filling stations about where the hose is fixed and doesn't extend. So there is logic in my method :)

Me too, did this very thing at asda on the way home this evening! It also helps the asda is a Wallmart super centre

Last edited:
My Shell station is the same and people end up queueing onto the road. I drive round and do like you do. Hoses reach either side of the car and half the problem is people waiting for a pump on the "right" side.

Genius :) my new strategy

I only ever buy fuel from garages where a little man in a white coat comes out of his kiosk and asks how much petrol I want. He then watches the drums roll round on the pump and always gets the amount exactly right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom