Petrol Vito/Viano - Anyone got any experiences?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheJoker

Car
A160 Petrol/Auto/2001
Guys, me again!

More Vito and Viano questions. Did some maths and figured out that a Petrol V6 Viano/Vito is more expensive to run, but they seem to be quite a lot cheaper to buy, so I'm now pondering about putting the Petrol car onto my future shopping list.

Does anyone here have any input on the 3.7l V6 that's in the current Vito/Viano, or the older Petrol V6' for that matter?

Any input gratefully recieved. :thumb:

I doubt you would ever see a Vito 123 (3.7 petrol V6). AFAIK they were/are a special order, and didn't appear in any of the price lists when I was looking. I can't imagine why anyone would have bought one new - the diesel V6 is pretty refined, has exactly the same 0-60 time, and gives much better MPG.

The current V6 petrol Viano has the newer (and more powerful) 3.5 V6, not the old 3.7. I doubt there are any significant mechanical issues with either.

FWIW the VW Sharan I had before the Vito was a petrol V6 with exactly the same BHP (204). But the diesel V6 has a lot more torque, making it a much more relaxed drive. Same would apply in the Vito/Viano ... the new 3.5 V6 petrol is 340 Nm, compared to 440 for the V6 diesel.

Of course what you REALLY want is one of these ... a Brabus Viano - 6.1 litre V8, 426 bhp, 621 Nm, 0-62 in 6.2 secs :D

VianoV8.jpg

Actually, there's one on Autotrader now, except it's a panel van, so no-go for my purpose (even if it's tempting!).
Auto Trader UK - MERCEDES-BENZ VITO 123 "Extra-Long" - 230 bhp, 3.7 litre V6 Petrol Automatic! Loads of EXTRAS - Only 35k miles 3700cc

And yes, you're right about the 3.5l vs the 3.7l - I was under the impression that the petrol V6 was marketed as a 3.5 despite the 3.7 volume. Closer inspection in the Viano broschure confirms a 3,498cc capacity. :eek: :thumb: Power is 258bhp and 340Nm, 9.3s 0-62mph.

The reason for my speculation into the petrol car is purely financial. The 2.2l diesel I tried in Milton Keynes was priced at about £23,000, but I've now spotted a fairly similarily specced 3.5l one on Autotrader.
Auto Trader UK - Mercedes-Benz Viano 3500 cc 3.5 Ambiente 5dr Tip Auto [258]
2008 08 Reg Mercedes-Benz Viano 3500 cc 3.5 Ambiente 5dr Tip Auto [258]
Price: £18,488
Features:
* 12,552 miles
* Automatic
* B lack Sapphire
* Petrol
* Estate
* 3500 cc
Full Description:
5 Doors, Automatic, Estate, Petrol, 12,552 miles, Black Sapphire, Side Sliding Doors, Half Leather, Rain & Light Sensors, Bluetooth Prep, Climate Control. £18,488
It's very similarily specced, and mileage is almost the same, but it's £4,500 cheaper. Sadly it's a shorty, so it's of very little interest to me, beside it's miles and miles away from me.
My spreadsheet told me that the price difference in fuel, between a 2.2l diesel and a 3.5l petrol over 50,000 miles is £2,200. If that maths adds up, that'd mean £2,300 worth of toy money for "the same car". :rock: Also, in my current status I don't use the car for "day-to-day" transport, so I don't mind spreading the purchase price out on the fuel bill.

And I do like petrol engines. :dk:

Oh, and that Brabus is awesome, albeit over the top! :cool:

And, once again, huge thanks, BTB!!

Wow that Vito 123 is a rare beast ... it's even got COMAND! Yet it's just a ply-lined panel van :dk::confused:

Yes a 3.5 petrol might make financial sense for you, would mean more frequent fuel stops on long runs though. High road tax too?

They would make a good motor home?

LPG in one of them you wouldn't miss it. Must have a turn of speed for a van :)

Like them. Is that engine the same as in my ML or in the newer SL? I think mine is very smooth and responsive for such a barge.

Yup I think it's the same "350" petrol V6 that is in loads of Mercs now (as the V6 diesel is in all the "320"s). My in-laws have got an R350.

Wow that Vito 123 is a rare beast ... it's even got COMAND! Yet it's just a ply-lined panel van :dk::confused:

Yes a 3.5 petrol might make financial sense for you, would mean more frequent fuel stops on long runs though. High road tax too?

I was very surprised to see it too. Quite a fun van to be lugging around some dry wall in, methinks. :D

It would indeed mean shorter fuel range, but I've found that humans often need breaks before cars need breaks, so it shouldn't be such a big problem. :)

All Vianos bar the 2.2 manual (rare as hen's teeth) and 2.0 manual (rare as rocking horse sh**), get the "penalty" road tax of *kerr-ching* £400. :eek: To me that means there's no incentive to go for a "greener" car. :(
Vitos go as commercial vehicles, apart from the Traveliner, AFAIK, so they have lower tax.

Mr Joker, would you consider an R class, ML or GL if fuel bills aren't a massive consideration also. All spacious comfy vehicles.

It would indeed mean shorter fuel range, but I've found that humans often need breaks before cars need breaks, so it shouldn't be such a big problem. :)

All Vianos bar the 2.2 manual (rare as hen's teeth) and 2.0 manual (rare as rocking horse sh**), get the "penalty" road tax of *kerr-ching* £400. :eek: To me that means there's no incentive to go for a "greener" car. :(
Vitos go as commercial vehicles, apart from the Traveliner, AFAIK, so they have lower tax.
Yup I only pay £185 road tax on our V6 Dualiner :)

We do the run to the South of Germany with just a single fuel stop (in Luxembourg usually as it's cheaper), which works fine for me. We'd definitely need 2 stops with a petrol Vito ... not exactly the end of the world, but on some sections of the autoroute / autobahn there aren't many fuel stations so finding one (in the middle of the night in our case) can be a bit tense!

I really wish the Vito's trip computer gave 'miles remaining' as that is a big help when deciding to stop now or carry on!

Mr Joker, would you consider an R class, ML or GL if fuel bills aren't a massive consideration also. All spacious comfy vehicles.

***, I would, if they could do this:
CIMG3548b.jpg

As far as I know, they can't. :doh:

:D

Yup I only pay £185 road tax on our V6 Dualiner :)

I know I know... I want that too! :cool:

We do the run to the South of Germany with just a single fuel stop (in Luxembourg usually as it's cheaper), which works fine for me. We'd definitely need 2 stops with a petrol Vito ... not exactly the end of the world, but on some sections of the autoroute / autobahn there aren't many fuel stations so finding one (in the middle of the night in our case) can be a bit tense!

I know that feeling... bikes seldom do over 200 miles per tank, so I've got plenty of experience of that "will I make it to the petrol station that I've not found yet" feeling. :rolleyes: :doh: The Espace can take us from our door to Nürburg and needs filling up in Belgium on the way back. :D Very convenient. :bannana: Would love that out of a Vito/Viano, but I'm not that fussed about it.

I really wish the Vito's trip computer gave 'miles remaining' as that is a big help when deciding to stop now or carry on!

It's a very useful feature indeed. Too bad it's missing!

***, I would, if they could do this:
CIMG3548b.jpg

As far as I know, they can't. :doh:

:D

Okay, would a trailer not be a better idea leaving you with a more car like car (that tells you how many miles are in the tank :rolleyes:) when you don't need the storage space. Just a suggestion but if your heart is set on the Vito/Viano then maybe the petrol option isn't such a bad idea, but with family + a bike I'd want a gruntier diesel to haul that lot along.

Okay, would a trailer not be a better idea leaving you with a more car like car (that tells you how many miles are in the tank :rolleyes:) when you don't need the storage space. Just a suggestion but if your heart is set on the Vito/Viano then maybe the petrol option isn't such a bad idea, but with family + a bike I'd want a gruntier diesel to haul that lot along.

A trailer has got a bunch of drawbacks that I don't like. First I'd need to store it, and I don't want it in my back garden (even if it would be a foldable one). Second you'll be limited in speed. Third, it costs twice as much to take it across the channel and/or any other boat. Fourth, bikes are exposed to thieves and elements. Fifth, it's more to break (lights, punctures etc).

So, car it is. I have the Grand Espace that's ideal for the job, well almost. If it would have a german engine and german electrics. :D It's a tad too small so we have to use a roof box for some of our luggage. But it does 80mph with ease for 600 miles on one tank of diesel. It's quiet and comfortable. On a day-to-day basis it functions as a 5 seater car with a huge luggage capacity. When out with the bikes, it transports myself and my girlfriend, our bikes, our luggage in grandeour.

A Vito/Viano that can function like a car during the week, and a bike transporter is a more "solid" alternative to the Espace. :D Ideally a V6 Diesel, but they command a price premium, whereas the petrol one seems to be cheaper to buy, more expensive to run. Numbers will have to decide. :cool: :thumb:

A Vito/Viano that can function like a car during the week, and a bike transporter is a more "solid" alternative to the Espace. :D Ideally a V6 Diesel, but they command a price premium, whereas the petrol one seems to be cheaper to buy, more expensive to run. Numbers will have to decide. :cool: :thumb:

140bhp - drive better than Vitos - cheap - plentiful:

Auto Trader UK - VAUXHALL VIVARO 2.9 C.D.T.I 2463cc

140bhp - drive better than Vitos - cheap - plentiful:

Auto Trader UK - VAUXHALL VIVARO 2.9 C.D.T.I 2463cc

Very interesting! Thanks! However a few points. :thumb: First I didn't know there was a 2.5l in those cars. I checked the Renault broschure when I was there and their version only comes with a 2.0l 120bhp or something engine. Nothing I'm interested in.

That one is definitely cheap, though. Sadly it's a van, not a car, so I won't be able to use it as a 5 seater car "during the week". (of the Vitos I'm only interested in a Dualiner or Traveliner)
The most interesting though is that you say that it "drives better than a Vito" - can you please expand on that? :) How about mechanical longevity on those cars?
... Still not a Benz... :D

Very interesting! Thanks! However a few points. :thumb: First I didn't know there was a 2.5l in those cars. I checked the Renault broschure when I was there and their version only comes with a 2.0l 120bhp or something engine. Nothing I'm interested in.

That one is definitely cheap, though. Sadly it's a van, not a car, so I won't be able to use it as a 5 seater car "during the week". (of the Vitos I'm only interested in a Dualiner or Traveliner)
The most interesting though is that you say that it "drives better than a Vito" - can you please expand on that? :) How about mechanical longevity on those cars?
... Still not a Benz... :D

There's plenty of them with seats/windows, even one that's like a limo with all manner of refinements.

They handle like no other van, virtually like a sports car, and the 6th gear means they're great on diesel.

The gearboxes were a weak on the early ones, and they do like a rack (£108) and pas pumps (£95) but other than that are supposed to be mechanically good far better than Vitos which do suffer from all manner of problems.

They don't seem to rust either.

There's plenty of them with seats/windows, even one that's like a limo with all manner of refinements.

They handle like no other van, virtually like a sports car, and the 6th gear means they're great on diesel.

The gearboxes were a weak on the early ones, and they do like a rack (£108) and pas pumps (£95) but other than that are supposed to be mechanically good far better than Vitos which do suffer from all manner of problems.

They don't seem to rust either.

Sounds good! Must investigate! :D Do you know if there's an sort of major differences between the Renault Traffic/Vauxhall Vivaro/Nissan Primastar? Thank you! :rock::bannana:

Sounds good! Must investigate! :D Do you know if there's an sort of major differences between the Renault Traffic/Vauxhall Vivaro/Nissan Primastar? Thank you! :rock::bannana:

All built in Luton, and other than trim and lights are the same.

Vauxhalls are by far the most plentiful as they came with a 3 year warrenty, so it should be easy enough to find one with a fair bit of manufacturers warrenty left - which is nice.

Not many of the bigger engined ones around, although the 100/115ps ones are quite quick.

Parktronic and heated seats what a van:)

I remember reading somewhere recently that the new 3.7 v6 had balancer shaft problems, or was that the 3.5 sorry!

Lynall

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom