Petrol vs Diesel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davidjpowell

MB Enthusiast
Car
E350 w212 and Ford Ranger
Hi

After reading a thread about the reliability or lack of in Diesel Cars, I've created a little survey to try and see if they really are as sinful as I am led to believe.

I can't post the link as yet on Pistonheads, as I am told they have no interest in this question! I suspect that Haymarket wish to not upset their advertisers - should have remembered that it's easier to ask for forgiveness!

Anyway, if you would care to fill it in that would be great. You will get real time results at the end, and I will come back and update the thread periodically.

Not sure what I would do with them but to confirm the survey does not collect any identifying data. Please feel free to pass the link around also...

Petrol versus Diesel Survey

Cheers

David

whitemercedes said:
When do we get results?

Should be at the end of the survey. Early days yet so I'll put a summary on here in a day or two, if not before when the samples are looking more meaningful.

Last edited:
It's a good question because as diesel still gives advantages in economy, driveability and reduced emissions, the modern engine ancillary components are just made too cheaply, so tend to break.

I have a diesel atm...but im not so sure if its as economical as it was before....petrol engines are so much more efficient now. whats others opinions?

I have a diesel atm...but im not so sure if its as economical as it was before....petrol engines are so much more efficient now. whats others opinions?

I have a diesel 520 BMW, and a 2.4 Turbo Volvo S80 (petrol).

Had 42mpg this morning but only while driving at 60. It dives at a decent speed, where as the 520 will do 47mpg pretty much whatever I do to it.

This bit question is will the extra bits cost more than the fuel it saves.

(setting aside taxation, BIK, VED, and such likes: )

Diesel for economy if you do mega-miles on motorways, or for torque if towing a caravan.

Petrol for everything else... :)

I haven't really had an unreliable petrol car for years certainly since back in the 1980's. A small electrical window problem seven years ago, but the days of difficult starts on cold mornings are dim and distant memories. Since only having a diesel for just over two years not really in a position to comment on long term reliablity, but so far so good.

I will chose not to take part in this done-to-death-with-no-conclusion-debate.

It's boring now.

If you want a diesel buy one, if you don't, then buy a petrol. It's not hard to understand.

kianok said:

It's boring now.

If you want a diesel buy one, if you don't, then buy a petrol. It's not hard to understand.

No ones forcing you. I'm just trying to put together some facts instead of opinion....

It's boring now.

by replying...you kinda took part. :D

No ones forcing you. I'm just trying to put together some facts instead of opinion....
With all respect, your intention has been attempted on most forums with no conclusion of any value.

Just sayin'......Good luck though.

kianok said:
With all respect, your intention has been attempted on most forums with no conclusion of any value.

Just sayin'......Good luck though.

How do you know - you did not click on the link and your posts to date have missed the point? I'm not looking to debate whether petrol or diesel is better/cheaper... I am looking to get some actual statistics on whether the supposed failure of diesel related parts is a myth as compared to petrol parts.

How do you know - you did not click on the link and your posts to date have missed the point? I'm not looking to debate whether petrol or diesel is better/cheaper... I am looking to get some actual statistics on whether the supposed failure of diesel related parts is a myth as compared to petrol parts.
How do you know i haven't seen a billion posts about the same subject?

Have you seen every post on every forum i have ever posted on?

How do you know i haven't seen a billion posts about the same subject?

Have you seen every post on every forum i have ever posted on?

He means your posts on this thread...is this a £5 argument, or a £10 one?

Have you a list of things that bore you, so then we could avoid those too?

He means your posts on this thread...is this a £5 argument, or a £10 one?
.99p i think, but i'm not sure i understand your point.

He said 'your posts to date', maybe davidjpowel could clear this up since they were his words, not yours.

Have you a list of things that bore you, so then we could avoid those too?

Not really, you are looking into my comment far too much, some boring topics entertain me, some don't, i will let you know as and when, but i appriciate your concern.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom