Petrol vs Diesel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It may well be fun but would you agree that a similar powered petrol version would have a greater grin factor?

My point really. I suppose "Fun " is relative. I like a high revving smooth sounding petrol lump because, when I just go for a drive, i like to.... well drive. But if I just wanted to take in the scenery and waft about, any mode of propulsion's ok.

But, I will always remember the thrill of blasting a Porsche Carrera 4 around the Chiltens just for the fun of it and probably no other car has made me laugh so much. So, by that standard, probably no diesel comes close! :D

bpsorrel-albums-bpsorrel-s-cars-picture2510-911-carrera-me.jpg

Probably, and that's why a petrol will be next for me, but I have got to say, the CLS V6 diesel is fun to drive coupled with the joy of visiting the fuel station a bit less often! :D

Mrs WN said she was beginning to think I was having an affair with the (admittedly rather attractive) cashier at my local Shell as I'm there so often!

I replied an affair would probably be cheaper to finance.... :rolleyes:

Lol!!!

Mrs WN said she was beginning to think I was having an affair with the (admittedly rather attractive) cashier at my local Shell as I'm there so often!

I replied an affair would probably be cheaper to finance.... :rolleyes:

I know the feeling.

My colleagues found it wildly amusing that I used over £300 of fuel over three consecutive days in our ML :D

whitenemesis said:
Despite my constant leg-pulling I do agree with Steve (to a degree!!) one can have plenty of fun in a diesel Merc. My S203 was a joy to drive and with the coil-overs handled very nicely :)
Now I have the CLS I have the refinement to accompany the fun!!! :cool:

My hearing isn't the best, I find my car quiet. Idling it's audible and at high rpm for a diesel is audible but rest of the time it's quiet and with 170bhp and a 295ft lb torque its fun too. Ok it's not 476bhp and 510 ft lb torque but it's fine and can be used a lot of the time.

Diesel mercs are great fun :) I know yours is too, but the cost is too much for me to enjoy running it.

A couple of Diesel owners in this thread have said how nice their oil burner sound....

Funny that we've yet to see a thread where any diesel owner wants to do an exhaust mod to release a bit more noise. :D

Last edited:
A couple of Diesel owners in this thread have said how nice theirs oil burner sounds....

Funny that we've yet to see a thread where any diesel owner wants to do an exhaust mod to release a bit more noise. :D

Perhaps that's because MB got it right straight out of the factory?

I know my 270CDI had a pleasingly gruff exhaust note. It came with an AMG rear silencer...

I think they are all like that.. nothing to do with the AMG tips. :D

It didn't have "AMG tips".. just a back box with AMG part numbers, part of the Sports pack. So not cosmetic but functional..

Sp!ke said:
A couple of Diesel owners in this thread have said how nice their oil burner sound....

I toyed with de catting my old E class. I would have if I kept it. I wouldn't do it to a 4 cylinder car but a five upwards, aye for sure.

It's the sound of the turbo whistling which sounds good, my V6 CDI was quite nice sounding for a diesel but to even try and compare it to the sound of the comparative petrol would be clutching at straws.

I wouldn't want to do that regardless of engine type...

It's the sound of the turbo whistling which sounds good, my V6 CDI was quite nice sounding for a diesel but to even try and compare it to the sound of the comparative petrol would be clutching at straws.

I don't recall ever hearing the turbo on my 270CDI. I certainly can hear the SC on my CLS though :devil:

whitenemesis said:
I don't recall ever hearing the turbo on my 270CDI. I certainly can hear the SC on my CLS though :devil:

X pipe, it's time Peter.

I could here the turbo on my V6. Not surprising, it wasn't sealed up so the leaking boost was only drowned out by the sound of leaking oil.

X pipe, it's time Peter.

I could here the turbo on my V6. Not surprising, it wasn't sealed up so the leaking boost was only drowned out by the sound of leaking oil.

I think the CLS has enough road presence TBH, doesn't need to shout about it.

That little 'chirp' at 2500k as the SC kicks in is sweet :cool::cool:

whitenemesis said:

Speak to Sean, it just makes it a tad err, fruitier.

It would also be supersonic!!

Of course I meant 2500rpm (ish.. I tend to have my eyes focussed on the road!!) :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom