Petrol vs Diesel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I wouldn't want to do that regardless of engine type...

Nothing wrong for a bit of fun, but as an everyday car, it could get seriously wearing.

[YOUTUBE]VUMK3Du6NrM[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]_uaYuWXT0Kg[/YOUTUBE]

I was just listening to my car on the way home, no music on. it's hard to say what the engine sounds like as tyre roar was the only sound below 70mph...

Last edited:
No. 2 was stirring -- you just want to get out ther and plough that field :(

So what would I have to do to give my CLS a nicer, throaty roar like that? (and don't say fit a petrol V8 LOL!!)

Mrs WN said she was beginning to think I was having an affair with the (admittedly rather attractive) cashier at my local Shell as I'm there so often!

I replied an affair would probably be cheaper to finance.... :rolleyes:

I was asked the same question by Mrs T!

One of my neighbours has a 335d and it sounds very good, much meatier than my V6 diesel and when it idles it's very quiet with a nice almost V8 burble. Don't like the car itself much (never been a fan of 3s) but the engine is very nice.

One of my neighbours has a 335d and it sounds very good, much meatier than my V6 diesel and when it idles it's very quiet with a nice almost V8 burble. Don't like the car itself much (never been a fan of 3s) but the engine is very nice.

On a cold start it sounds like a 70s London bus, but when it's warm it has a lovely baritone sound...

Agreed. When he first starts up, it sounds like my old Saab 1.9tid which was VERY loud! But as you say, a few seconds later and it settles to a lovely throbbing beat! :D

Hence virtually all commercial vehicles are diesel powered, Only in Russia have I ever seen petrol powered vans and trucks.

When I used to do work for VAG back in the 1980's they always provided me with VW LT35 petrol vans ; they had lovely six cylinder petrol engines which just burbled along the road and were the best vans I ever drove , including Mercedes .

So what would I have to do to give my CLS a nicer, throaty roar like that? (and don't say fit a petrol V8 LOL!!)

Just have all the silencers lopped off, the turbo will keep any raspy sounds in check, which there won't be as a diesel doesn't waste it's energy in noise down the exhaust pipe.

Just have all the silencers lopped off, the turbo will keep any raspy sounds in check, which there won't be as a diesel doesn't waste it's energy in noise down the exhaust pipe.

That seems a little provocative, Dieselman. :rolleyes:

Even if the DVLA agrees with you. ;)

Nothing wrong for a bit of fun, but as an everyday car, it could get seriously wearing.

[YOUTUBE]VUMK3Du6NrM[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]_uaYuWXT0Kg[/YOUTUBE]

I was just listening to my car on the way home, no music on. it's hard to say what the engine sounds like as tyre roar was the only sound below 70mph...

Just fit bigger speakers. Nothing is more fun than driving over a ton, with the music on loud:rock::rock:

When I used to do work for VAG back in the 1980's they always provided me with VW LT35 petrol vans ; they had lovely six cylinder petrol engines which just burbled along the road and were the best vans I ever drove , including Mercedes .

I should have added to the above that we have a couple of preserved 1950's Dennis fire appliances with Rolls-Royce 4 litre petrol engines ; they sound lovely too !

I drove my 270CDI for 116K trouble free miles and loved every minute and evrey mile. I now have my CLS and have been thrilled to drive it the 2k miles I have owned it.

I draw some amusing comparisons..

2700cc v. 5439cc
170bhp v. 479bhp
38mpg v. 18mpg (urban commute)
55mpg v. 28mpg (motorway journey)

I have doubled my engine capacity, tripled (almost) my bhp but only halved my mpg?

The experience is very "night and day", "chalk and cheese" but both thoroughly enjoyable

You takes your pick ....

Interesting WN. Forgive me for peeping over your shoulder when I draw very similar comparisons below - mileage, engine choices, the works...

Mrs D and I drove her ML 270 CDI for 107k trouble free miles and loved every minute and every mile. We now have her ML 63 AMg and have been thrilled to drive it the 2k miles we have owned it.

I draw some amusing comparisons..

2700cc vs 6200cc
163bhp vs 510bhp
23mpg vs 13mpg (urban driving)
31mpg vs 18mpg (motorway driving)

We have more than doubled the engine capacity, more tripled the bhp but less than halved the mpg!

The experience is very "night and day", "chalk and cheese" but both thoroughly enjoyable.

You takes your pick...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom