Petrol vs Diesel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Nothing wrong for a bit of fun, but as an everyday car, it could get seriously wearing.

[YOUTUBE]VUMK3Du6NrM[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]_uaYuWXT0Kg[/YOUTUBE]

I was just listening to my car on the way home, no music on. it's hard to say what the engine sounds like as tyre roar was the only sound below 70mph...

I still cannot believe how good that sounds, almost like a petrol Straight six, the way it howls.

I wonder my little 3banger would sound with an exhaust..:rolleyes:

Nothing wrong for a bit of fun, but as an everyday car, it could get seriously wearing.

[YOUTUBE]VUMK3Du6NrM[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]_uaYuWXT0Kg[/YOUTUBE]

I was just listening to my car on the way home, no music on. it's hard to say what the engine sounds like as tyre roar was the only sound below 70mph...

What's perhaps even more amazing is the total lack of any exhaust smoke?

Adam230K said:
I still cannot believe how good that sounds, almost like a petrol Straight six, the way it howls.

I wonder my little 3banger would sound with an exhaust..:rolleyes:

Try it and find out

You want to hear one under full boost at high revs, they sound very like a BMW straight six petrol.
Add to that almost inaudible engine noise when cruising, they are a very refined car.

What's perhaps even more amazing is the total lack of any exhaust smoke?
That's because they are indirect with a ball pin to cause nearly total evaporation of the diesel oil, so very homogenous mixture.
Direct engines suffer because the air and fuel only have a very short time to mix and it's in the main combustion chamber.

Dieselman said:
You want to hear one under full boost at high revs, they sound very like a BMW straight six petrol.
Add to that almost inaudible engine noise when cruising, they are a very refined car.

That's because they are indirect with a ball pin to cause nearly total evaporation of the diesel oil, so very homogenous mixture.
Direct engines suffer because the air and fuel only have a very short time to mix and it's in the main combustion chamber.

Yours is a tad clattery at idle compared to my old V6 but on the move sounded great, like my old BMW I6 petrol but deeper and meaner and revd way harder than a common rail.

But the new CRs from 3000cc do make more power from less RPM SI there's a sizeable torque advantage and my average fuel consumption was iirc higher than tours, mainly I suspect down to the taller gearing in 7th.

Shame about the ulreliabity of the newer lump and it wasn't common rail that was the problem but crap design and positioning of electricals below a leaking turbo.

Still my peashooter hasn't broken down once....yet

Dieselman said:
The Achilees heel of a 300TD, it's undergeared.

It's a 5speed car thing. Mines under geared (2k rpm at 65mph and it's 30mph per 1000rpm)

But, whilst short gearing isn't good for economy it's good for accereation and as such your car, and mine, can make their own gaps in motorway without the indignity of a down change as the acceleration in 5th gear is quite rapid.

Chipped so a bit smokey off boost, but I thought people said diesels were noisy...seems pretty quiet on drive-by, to me.
Especially compared tot the porker.

[YOUTUBE]ay7baptEIgo[/YOUTUBE]

I'm getting into this... :D

[YOUTUBE]kTtIkzGfyr0[/YOUTUBE]

480 nags under the bonnet of a standard engined 300TD.

If you've ever been in a RR unit with a high performance petrol engine being revved, you will know this is very quiet.

[YOUTUBE]27ne_sf5iqc[/YOUTUBE]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom