PetrolHead Equivalent Label?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The reality of that strategy is that you have to cover an extra 40 miles to find the correct charging point, wait an hour for it to become vacant, wait some more time in the car, by which time HS2 might be running:dk:
It’s improving almost daily but I agree, access to reliable rapid chargers remains an issue. It’s one of the key reasons I bought a Tesla - other cars may handle better, be better designed, better built etc etc - but it’s just about the only EV currently (sorry…) available where there is genuinely no range anxiety. In over two years, I’ve never had to wait for a supercharger to become vacant.

It’s improving almost daily but I agree, access to reliable rapid chargers remains an issue. It’s one of the key reasons I bought a Tesla - other cars may handle better, be better designed, better built etc etc - but it’s just about the only EV currently (sorry…) available where there is genuinely no range anxiety. In over two years, I’ve never had to wait for a supercharger to become vacant.
How many miles have you covered with supercharged power and have these been during peak times around holidays, out of interest?

How many miles have you covered with supercharged power and have these been during peak times around holidays, out of interest?
Not sure - I suppose I could check my account and work out how many kw I’ve bought and calculate it from there. Most charging is at home, of course, but we’ve been to Scotland, Cornwall, Devon, North East, North West, East Anglia, all within busy holiday periods and not had an issue. The Tesla forums do highlight one or two sites that can be a pinch point such as Darts Farm in Exeter - though I didn’t have an issue there, and generally even if you have to wait, it’s only ten mins or so. And the car tells you if that’s going to be the case before you even get there.

I thought that they were known as EVangelists.
Like this.

Not sure - I suppose I could check my account and work out how many kw I’ve bought and calculate it from there. Most charging is at home, of course, but we’ve been to Scotland, Cornwall, Devon, North East, North West, East Anglia, all within busy holiday periods and not had an issue. .............```

This interests me - can jump in the car (diesel) and cover 274miles/4.5h in one sitting (if alert/fresh/etc) then drive back a couple of days later on a single tank of fuel without any concerns. My guess is that would be impossible with a Tesla/similar vehicle. (Tesla site suggests that I would save £77 in fuel :rolleyes: and require a 5minute charge per leg. At my destination the nearest charge ponts are just over 10miles away).

Not sure - I suppose I could check my account and work out how many kw I’ve bought and calculate it from there. Most charging is at home, of course, but we’ve been to Scotland, Cornwall, Devon, North East, North West, East Anglia, all within busy holiday periods and not had an issue. The Tesla forums do highlight one or two sites that can be a pinch point such as Darts Farm in Exeter - though I didn’t have an issue there, and generally even if you have to wait, it’s only ten mins or so. And the car tells you if that’s going to be the case before you even get there.
It all sounds very smart and interesting that you feel as though you've tested the supercharger network adequately in order to gain confidence in accessing a space <10 mins. Presumably as Tesla EVangelists give way to mister and missus commoner, they'll not be so considerate on hogging a supercharger whilst they order their second KFC?

By way of contrast, I couldn't justify operating the Tesla for long distance over the time required. I recently drove from Santander to Barcelona in a hurry with just a splash and dash and from Valencia to Auvergne, then Auvergne to Calais/SW20 over two days. It just wouldn't have been as certain to accomplish. in my view, but EVs are inevitably going to close the gap at some stage.

It all sounds very smart and interesting that you feel as though you've tested the supercharger network adequately in order to gain confidence in accessing a space <10 mins. Presumably as Tesla EVangelists give way to mister and missus commoner, they'll not be so considerate on hogging a supercharger whilst they order their second KFC?

By way of contrast, I couldn't justify operating the Tesla for long distance over the time required. I recently drove from Santander to Barcelona in a hurry with just a splash and dash and from Valencia to Auvergne, then Auvergne to Calais/SW20 over two days. It just wouldn't have been as certain to accomplish. in my view, but EVs are inevitably going to close the gap at some stage.
Pah, should have used a helicopter or small jet.

For Mr & Mrs KFC, it’s probably another case of rapid charger operators needing to do what Tesla do and apply overstay charges. At a Tesla supercharger, where 50%+ of the stalls are in use, I get five minutes to move the car once it’s reached the set limit, otherwise I get charged per minute. But it’s easier for Tesla to do this than some other operators because of the way the superchargers are set up to identify the particular vehicle.

For Mr & Mrs KFC, it’s probably another case of rapid charger operators needing to do what Tesla do and apply overstay charges. At a Tesla supercharger, where 50%+ of the stalls are in use, I get five minutes to move the car once it’s reached the set limit, otherwise I get charged per minute. But it’s easier for Tesla to do this than some other operators because of the way the superchargers are set up to identify the particular vehicle.

That's pretty good management of the network, I must admit. For me, range anxiety prevails, but I would be open to a cute, smart looking thing such as an Honda (Wall-) E or a BMW i3 for town use - however, our aluminium space frame 1.4L Audi A2 is still going strong!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom