Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
No business is obliged to to sell you their goods/products.

duplicate post .... forum is so slow tonight

Last edited:
The exercise here is less about compensation and more about the conduct of the dealer. Palfrem likes Phaetons. (I do too :thumb:) He has bought a Phaeton from a VW dealer which turned out to be a poor experience - phone install/number of owners/runaround. Having been challenged, VW dealer have of course offered the Mercedes back and the balance... but Palfrem wants a Phaeton!

In pursuing this, both Palfrem and VW themselves have discovered how poor the customer service is from this particular dealer. And this is the point - it's worth exorcising this, because there is far too much *@%£ service from wide boy, greedy "not my problem guv" pond life out there.

May the force be with you.

I want another Phaeton but the only other approved VW AUCs I want are 100 miles away.

Well that's just tough luck, isn't it, really.

They sold you a car, it's not the one for you, they don't have another one you like, so realistcally all they are going to do is refund you and give you your px back.

Given that there are so few of these cars around, it's can't be that much of a surprise that you'd need to travel to find one.

Why should I waste time and fuel to sort one out

Because it's your idea, and your choice of car, and that's how life is.

It's unrealistic to expect anyone else to do the leg work for you.

Well that's just tough luck, isn't it, really.

They sold you a car, it's not the one for you, they don't have another one you like, so realistcally all they are going to do is refund you and give you your px back.

Given that there are so few of these cars around, it's can't be that much of a surprise that you'd need to travel to find one.

Because it's your idea, and your choice of car, and that's how life is.

It's unrealistic to expect anyone else to do the leg work for you.

And that's why we have such @£&$ service. This isn't a dodgy second hand dealer...this is VW a multi-billion global player. They have a keen customer interested in their product. The dealer should be at least capable of the basics, like picking up a phone perhaps? If he had a great experience, he'd be singing their praises and we'd be absorbing all that PR = reputation = sales = loyalty.

The exercise here is less about compensation and more about the conduct of the dealer. Palfrem likes Phaetons. (I do too :thumb:) He has bought a Phaeton from a VW dealer which turned out to be a poor experience - phone install/number of owners/runaround. Having been challenged, VW dealer have of course offered the Mercedes back and the balance... but Palfrem wants a Phaeton!

But clearly they do not have a Phaeton that he wants, so they cannot do anything other than just return his funds and his PX.

They're just a VW dealers in Birmingham, not his personal shoppers.

In pursuing this, both Palfrem and VW themselves have discovered how poor the customer service is from this particular dealer. And this is the point - it's worth exorcising this, because there is far too much *@%£ service from wide boy, greedy "not my problem guv" pond life out there.

Well not really, they've offered to put him back in his CL and refund all monies paid, how is that greedy or poor service???

Clearly what they are not willing to do is give any compensation, which is fair enough, or find him his elusive dream car, which after their last transaction is no real surprise.

And that's why we have such @£&$ service

@£&$ service is the garage who sold some other hapless poster a salvage car, and then said tough when he asked for his money back.

All this garage have done is offered a full refund to someone who was not happy with his new car, hardly poor service.

Some sense of reality is needed.

Surely their conduct is out of touch for a dealer representing such a capable company? If I were the principle of that dealer, I'd ring fence this issue as a potential PR issue. I'd get my customer on side. (The Golfs, Polos, Passats etc can continue to sell themselves in the background). In the meantime, troubleshoot the issues which don't solve themselves (and be frowned upon by head office).

The fact of the matter is that they sold a mis-represented vehicle and failed to resolve it.

Nick, would you treat customers the same way if a problem of your making was apparent ?

No business is obliged to to sell you their goods/products.

Correct but if they enter into a contract of sale and payment taken then the seller has to abide by certain laws.

Correct but if they enter into a contract of sale and payment taken then the seller has to abide by certain laws.

Or return the customers monies (and goods)

The fact of the matter is that they sold a mis-represented vehicle and failed to resolve it.

Note their offer of a refund of the money and the return of the PX.

Consider the above as a quick and reasonable resolution.

Or demand compensation and footstamp.

Which is the better plan?

I'd now stop p*ssing about and issue a summons against them and sort it in court. The dealer had their chance don't want to come to the party to get you in another Phaeton, even VW are on your side. See them in court and if you need a good lawyer let me know, I think yo have been very patient and personally I would not have let it go this far without issuance of a summons

The money-back guarantee is for when you are not happy with the vehicle for whatever reason. But the assumption would be that the vehicle was sold in good faith, as advertised. The customer can then chose to loose the time he spent on buying the car and give it back.

What we have here is quite different, the customer was misled, and he is rightfully saying that some compensation is in order. He did not choose to waste time of his own free will, he was made to do so through false advertising and misrepresentation.

If he took this to the courts, he would be awarded every financial damages he can demonstrate he incurred, i.e. time of work, travel expenses, etc.

How would that work given that they have offered a refund aleady??

They case would be thrown out before reaching court.

From the OP posts if correct the supplying dealer have broken at least 3 UK laws, so there is no chance of it getting thrown out unless you know better than a qualified lawyer and QC

Oh wait we've been there before :eek:

Just go to court no judge in the land wil side against you with breaches like this

If he took this to the courts, he would be awarded every financial damages he can demonstrate he incurred, i.e. time of work, travel expenses, etc.

Nonsense, he'd get laughed out of court (not that it would even get to court), the undeniable fact that a full refund has been offered puts pay to any court action to obtain a refund and compo.

Remember that the courts expect people to be reasonable.

Nonsense, he'd get laughed out of court (not that it would even get to court), the undeniable fact that a full refund has been offered puts pay to any court action to obtain a refund and compo.

Remember that the courts expect people to be reasonable.

Yep as always you know best

A full refund does not fulfill the original contract entered into by both parties, the goods subject to the contact must be fit for purpose or of merchantable quality, neither of these integers are satisfied by the dealer so he is in breach of the original contract

Want to tell me how he'd get laughed out of court again? I've been there several times and won on every occasion, handy having a lawyer and barrister in the family

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom