Phaeton update.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Palfrem

MB Enthusiast
Car
W124 E36 AMG, G 300 GEL his, SLK 200 hers
Gents, pull up a chair.

I sometimes wonder what I must have done in a previous life to be getting so much sh!te lately.

Your collective sage advice is greatly appreciated.

Car is great, drives well, quiet and comfortable with a reasonable turn of speed. It is a genuinely good car.

...but, you just knew there was a but coming. This is in addition to all the late delivery issues, valeting, DVLA fools errand, phone kit, etc.

It was sold to me as a 2 owner car.

The V5 came and it's showing 4 previous keepers!

Not happy about that one little bit.

There are also a number of isues around the Parrot phone gizmo too. In my best technical parlance - it's cr@p. They've wired it so it only works when the engine is running, so when you pull over for a call and turn the (smooth, silky V6) engine off - click, the phone cuts out too.

Also, you have to have the car volume set so high to hear the caller that when you end the call the volume on the radio is deafening.

Approved VW come with a 30 day exchange guarantee and I'm tempted to invoke it. Trouble is, there don't seem to be any V6s in the VW AUC pool at the minute. Loads of 3.0 tdi, a few W12 (mmmmm, W12...!) but I don't really want a diesel.

Would you bin it and get them to find another or keep it and ask for a big cash sweetener (how big though?) on the 4 owners c*ck-up and perservere with them getting the phone sorted?

Answers ASAP please as I want to go round the garage on Monday @ 08:00 hrs with a firm but cunning plan.

Thanks chaps, I knew I could count on you.

If the car is good and what you want get them to give the full history then negotiate fort he bluetooth kit to be sorted properly and then the financial adjustment for ...Umm...lying to you..

Did you take a copy of the advert or anything proving it was advertised as two owners?

Have a word with a blootoof type installer to see what he recommends then go in with your demands - threaten them with "not as described" as they will **** a brick if the car is to come back in when they've spent money on it.

If the car is good and what you want get them to give the full history then negotiate fort he bluetooth kit to be sorted properly and then the financial adjustment for ...Umm...lying to you..

I agree, I had a Bury CC9060 fitted to mine, junk the parrot for one of them, far superior.

Russ

My S500 came with a Parrot fitted. It was rubbish and was subsequently removed and binned.

Regarding the issue of previous owners - if you have proof of this then you must approach the Dealer Principle and ask him how he intends to resolve it. Remind, or make him aware, of the problems you had prior to collection.

Make sure you get this in motion before the expiry of the 30 day period and get a written assurance that your right to return will still be in place if you do not get a satisfactory resolve.

Thanks chaps.

rf06 - they showed me the Bury.

Accessories : Owners : Volkswagen UK

Initially, they agreed to fit this but there was some problem so it could not be done.

As an old cynic, is the Parrot much cheaper than this do you think?

There is no debate as to the two owner status at the deal done hand-shake. It was supposed to be a buyer from new and in 2006 the present keeper bought it.

The sales guy seemed genuinely suprised when I spoke to him.

I want to be in there on Monday with my mind sorted with a list of requirements and a way forward.

I want to be in there on Monday with my mind sorted with a list of requirements and a way forward.

On the basis that you are happy with the car, the following needs to be considered.

1. Future value - the increase in owners may impact on this. You may not have paid the asking price (or even considered the car) if you had known the truth.

Resolve - Cash payment.

2. Future reliability - the increase in owners may impact on this too. Two owners at this age may be 'normal' but four could suggest the car has had underlying problems and was sold early.

Resolve - VW equivalent to Tier 1 warranty (ie. full cover inc. parts and labour) for as long as you see fit.

For me, that is the only option they would have. You need to be sorted out financially and have a warranty in place for this car.

What do you want from them ?

If/when every 'technical' issue is resolved and accepting that the no. of owners thing can't be altered, will you reach a point where you'll be truly happy to relax and enjoy your purchase over the next few year(s)?

If so, keep it and try to get everything sorted. Otherwise, return it while the option's still there and continue your search.

Good luck!

I'd love to be able to afford a Phaeton.

Not sure what I want really LTD, I feel let down by the garage as I would probably not have bought it with that many owners. Not sure if it actually makes a difference in the real world but I prefer 1 or 2 owner cars. I always wonder why the previous owners got rid so quickly.

As you say, reliability concerns perhaps.

I think I will be more content with having to get a diesel with an OE type VW fitted phone kit. My car is my office and I can't have anything less than 100% reliable coms.

It will be interesting to see what they offer when I say I want the car swapped!

I think the reason will qualify as "a fault"

Terms : Exchange policy : Used : Volkswagen UK

There are plenty of 3.0 tdi about

Sounds like you have fell out of love with the car as collateral damage to the deal and the uber shoddy showroom and lets face it back room service.

Too many owners for me.

Bin it start a new affair.

trapperjohn - Love the car (well Phaetons in general) but feel a bit duped and pi$$ed off with garage and the phone.

Would have another in a heartbeat.

Spent the morning in a MB Direct site (Her Ladyship bought an SLK) and didn't see anything that floated my boat after the VW.

+1 for getting rid and starting with something else.

If it was me, it would be playing on my mind about the shoddy service you've had from this trader.
When you want to trade a car in, you are asked generally the same 3 questions; year, mileage and amount of owners. So for them to get that wrong doesn't bode well for your future relationship with this dealer.

It will be interesting to see what they offer when I say I want the car swapped!

I think the reason will qualify as "a fault"

I'd prefer to think of it as a breach of law.

It isn't as described.

Get rid, you have had too many problems with it already.

The deal is void, you are due a full cash refund, the number of owners was misrepresented and will make a big difference to the future value when you trade it in.

rf06 - they showed me the Bury.

Accessories : Owners : Volkswagen UK

Initially, they agreed to fit this but there was some problem so it could not be done.

As an old cynic, is the Parrot much cheaper than this do you think?

My Bury was fitted by these guys,

Hands Free Car Kit Installations - Car Kits Installed Nationwide UK

Highly recommended, I'm sure they would give you better advice on why your garage claimed it could not be fitted when it was possible to fit a Parrot. I suspect they lied to you again about the phone kit, maybe they had a parrot kit lying around?

Russ

Get rid, you have had too many problems with it already.

The deal is void, you are due a full cash refund, the number of owners was misrepresented and will make a big difference to the future value when you trade it in.

To me that sounds like a bit of a knee jerk reaction. The number of owners is a factor but can anyone quantify the monetary difference? I'm not sure I would have called it a big difference, just a minor difference. But anyway.....

The phone issue sounds more annoying than an absolute deal breaker to me. If you can reliably find another kit that will give you the quality you're after then maybe ask the dealer to fit it FOC.

I say the above because if you're otherwise happy with the car, and as you admit there are few that meet your requirements then the car itself seems decent enough to keep.

I suspect you're annoyed as it's all happened in quick succession.

Chin up, it's still a lovely car despite everything :)

These cars were verrry slow of the mark when they came out. Wonder if the first "nominal"owner was due to pre-registration? I would be looking closely at the " exact periods of ownership" and who actually owned the cars - leasing company or an individual- possible " company went bust" finance repossession? Might explain a lot? If you like the car and it has an impeccable service history then I would be inclined to keep it. Sure you might pick up a 2 owner car [ they are not exactly thick on the ground] but either of those owners could also have abused it during their period of ownership - you will never know.:dk:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom