Phaeton?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Birdman

Car
E55 & Phaeton
Is there a car out there that does as much for as little?

I mean, a year ago I paid £30k for a delivery mileage pre-reg 3.0TDI that feels it's built like a safe, drives like a safe (i.e. safe-ly) and has seats that give me a lumbar massage while air conditioning my backside and a sound system that gives Lexus something to aim for. It's quiet, smooth (air suspension with 4 pre-sets and high/low ground clearance) and drives straight as an arrow at speeds up to 150mph. Permanent four wheel drive gives confidence on rough roads and in winter. I've even averaged 42mpg door to door on a three hour journey (and I live far from a motorway should you ask).

So apart from the fact it weighs 2 1/4 tons, is 16'5" long and looks like a Passat, where's the catch?

Oh yes, it's a VW.

But then I knew that when I bought one (Doh!):D

How much longer can VW's glass factory in Dresden continue producing them in the current climate?

(btw it's pronounced Fay-ton)

These are superb cars for the money IMHO if you can get past the VW badge.

Especially in W12 form :cool:

The largely private joke about the Phaeton is that it uses all the dials, controls and software interfaces of the Bentley GT, which replicates (in more expensive materials) the Phaeton cockpit, even down to seats and door furniture. Driving first one and then the other is the equivalent of getting out of a Polo and into a Golf R32: the ergonomics are identical. They even share the same D3 chassis and running gear.

And yes, I'd love the Phaeton W12. But if I could afford to run that I could afford the Bentley and I know which one I'd have...

I agree its a great car and simply brand snobbery probably stops people driving them.

Saying that new price if anyone pays that they are very exspensive and just like Peogeot and Citroen they for what ever reason cannot compete with the prestige marques when it comes to luxury large cars.

But this means that there are some stunning deals to be had, I've notice two near us, one guy swapped his Vw bora for one !!

Aren't Bentleys just Phaetons in disguise?

Or Phaetons are Bentleys in disguise?? :)

It's interesting how marketing works sometimes. People perceived the X-Type as an expensive Mondeo, but yet Skodas as good value Audis.

I was seconds away from buying a V10 TDi twice - superb car in every way.

Despite the VW badge, it does have some serious road presence as it is a massive car.

Sadly the 5Litre diesel is no longer sold and the factory is a masterpiece - there were loads of pics on the web years ago.

That's a lovely big lump you got yourself birdman....nice :)

I really like the phaeton , nice car dude :)

Phaeton looks great I think. Never seen as many as I just did in Berlin on a recent business trip.

By the way, the Phaeton is an Audi A8 with a different badge.

Much better price too..... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I'd love on, but is the 4wd system a haldex one where its usually just fornt drive and torque is sent to the rear only when needed, or is it a fixed ratio like 50:50 front to rear? I don't like the feel of front driven cars and this would put me off one.

I'd love on, but is the 4wd system a haldex one where its usually just fornt drive and torque is sent to the rear only when needed, or is it a fixed ratio like 50:50 front to rear? I don't like the feel of front driven cars and this would put me off one.

Haldex is the best system on the market today AFAIK and as far as I know this can be adjusted by the manufacturer so that they sell their car either with a 50:50 or say 60:40 split for the rear.... whatever they want.

Wrong perhaps??

By the way, the Phaeton is an Audi A8 with a different badge.

I thought the body structure was based on the Bentley Continental?

Under normal conditions the split is whatever it's set to by the manufacturer. In the latest Haldex the ratio varies dyanamically, with the majority of the torque being sent to either the front or rear axles, as required.

The Phaeton is actually a Bentley (or vice versa) while the Audi A8 shares many of their components. But the A8 platform is a different one to the Phaeton/Bentley platform.

... The Phaeton is actually a Bentley (or vice versa) while the Audi A8 shares many of their components. But the A8 platform is a different one to the Phaeton/Bentley platform.

The Bentley is based upon the Phaeton, not the other way round. A VW bigwig was heard to comment, when he first sat in a Continental GT, "at last we have found a way of selling the Phaeton - and for an extra 50,000 euros, too!".

The Dresden factory is now used to perform final assembly on all Continental Flying Spurs except for those sold in the UK market, which are still built in Crewe.

I had a drive in the v10 tdi Toureg in Germany in the summer, the sound was amazing for a diesel but the car became VERY unstable at speed, front end was all over the place even with the suspension set at sport!!!! great for straight lines without any bumps.....
Must be awesome in the phaeton though!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom