Phew is it to hot

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have zero sympathy for any of the utilities. They proactively bought into a captive market and operate a one sided business that shuts off non payers, or worse sends in the bailiffs or bankruptcy courts on the back of prices that rise continually, against no improvement in service.

Yet when the boot is on the other foot and they cant supply, they blame it on the weather or leaks in their own equipment, whilst gathering every last penny of profit for their shareholders, many of them in Europe.

Somebody’s taking the piss, and even then they charge you for it.

Not aimed at you @c63chris. :)

^^ Of course, it is the new way.

Anybody ready to take their Country back yet? Just be clear, unless you decide to it won't get better all by itself.

I have zero sympathy for any of the utilities. They proactively bought into a captive market and operate a one sided business that shuts off non payers, or worse sends in the bailiffs or bankruptcy courts on the back of prices that rise continually, against no improvement in service.

Yet when the boot is on the other foot and they cant supply, they blame it on the weather or leaks in their own equipment, whilst gathering every last penny of profit for their shareholders, many of them in Europe.

Somebody’s taking the piss, and even then they charge you for it.

Not aimed at you @c63chris. :)

That’s a bit harsh but obviously you are entitled to your view. For your information you can’t shut off water to a customer. Gas and Electric can though they tend to fit a prepayment meter and load it so each payment repays some of the debt. There’s an irony in here somewhere that the very politicians who presided over the running and ownership of Utilities are the ones who campaigned about “taking back control”. As a country we have not invested in our infrastructure in anything like the scale of other countries. Pot holes anyone. Not meaning this to be political as various governments have been involved since the 90s

How does a "hosepipe ban" happen? My mum said the other day there was one now, as she heard it on TV - but I haven't been informed in any way so assume there isn't. Do we get a letter if it happens?

Working in industry for 27 years and 16 years in the public sector I've seen waste of water that would make 1000 paddling pools look trivial. Same goes for the leaks. There is one nearby that has been gushing for days that would satisfy my 20L a day to water vulnerable shallow routed shrubs in two secs.

That’s a bit harsh but obviously you are entitled to your view. For your information you can’t shut off water to a customer. Gas and Electric can though they tend to fit a prepayment meter and load it so each payment repays some of the debt. There’s an irony in here somewhere that the very politicians who presided over the running and ownership of Utilities are the ones who campaigned about “taking back control”. As a country we have not invested in our infrastructure in anything like the scale of other countries. Pot holes anyone. Not meaning this to be political as various governments have been involved since the 90s

It's not just an opinion Chris. There's plenty of evidence that shows that UK utilities finance infrastructure costs through debt, whilst at the same time paying dividends to shareholders. Which, even if you believe this to be a legitimate business practice, leaves the consumer exposed to future interest rates via their ongoing daily need to consume essential supplies. As rates rise, and they surely will, utilities will pass these 'operating costs' onto the consumer - long after the shareholders have banked money that should have stayed in the business in the first place. Net result? Consumers end up paying twice or more for the same service. Imagine going into a supermarket and buying a pint of milk and as you check out, being reminded that you might need to pay again for the milk at some stage in the future - "but don't worry, we'll just add it on to a future bill". It's cynical at best and should be illegal. But it's not and as you say we have the politicians (and therefore ourselves) to blame for that.

Chris

The reservoirs are full, but the capacity to make this water fit for consumption is the issue.
Trouble is the water companies have to make every single drop drinkable even though 99.9999999999999999999% of it won't be.
If we were building an infrastructure from scratch we would have two water systems, one with clean enough for baths, toilets and cars and the other potable.

Funny too, although I tend to vote right of centre, I would renationalise transport and utilties straight away. Some things don't work under private profit-driven enterprise.

Roll on next week, it will be early 20s, warm enough to be out all day but much cooler for sleeping. I am always amazed when I hear people that use central heating at night. Nothing worse for me than a stuffy bedroom. Cold air, warm duvet please.

The reservoirs are full, but the capacity to make this water fit for consumption is the issue.
Trouble is the water companies have to make every single drop drinkable even though 99.9999999999999999999% of it won't be.
If we were building an infrastructure from scratch we would have two water systems, one with clean enough for baths, toilets and cars and the other potable.

Funny too, although I tend to vote right of centre, I would renationalise transport and utilties straight away. Some things don't work under private profit-driven enterprise.

Roll on next week, it will be early 20s, warm enough to be out all day but much cooler for sleeping. I am always amazed when I hear people that use central heating at night. Nothing worse for me than a stuffy bedroom. Cold air, warm duvet please.

Article in today’s Independant. 4billion litres estimated wasted in paddling pools. All food grade treated water. I understand why people think re-nationalisation is a good idea however in this country under govt ownership utilities were chronically over staffed and under funded. When the exchequer has to balance the books it’s too easy to take money out of infrastructure. Performance across gas water and electricity has greatly improved since privatisation. This has also been to the benefit of private companies and other state utilities hence the negative sentiment. There’s not an easy answer here. Sadly I remember British Rail, in the 70s we regularly had explosions killing people leading to the King report in 77,chronic lack of renewal of gas mains. Electricity supplies are much more reliable. Who has candles and gas stoves for the power cuts anymore. These were regular occurrences under govt ownership. I didn’t buy shares out of principle when they were floated but we shouldn’t kid ourselves that the civil service is a paradigm of efficiency. Not here anyway. Other countries seem to do much better.

Watching the weather today, 31 in London, made me remember the years working there and the Tube in summer.

Poor sods!

:p:eek:

Yep it's great, have a look at this one lol

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

made me remember the years working there and the Tube in summer.

Haven't been on the tube in years, but I’m surprised they still haven’t rolled AC out on it.

Just sitting out in the garden with the lights on. It’s lovely, with a bit of a breeze.
I’ve got my iPad and a cold Bud.

Who’s your cool friend???

Haven't been on the tube in years, but I’m surprised they still haven’t rolled AC out on it.

Its not easy, where do you dump the hot air from the carriages - there's only a few cms between the trains and the tube walls.

None in deep tunnel lines but found on the new Circle, Hammersmith & City, District and Metropolitan lines trains because they actually run in cuttings or surface, not deep tunnel. Ventillation much easier

In deep tunnel nowhere to dump hot air and no forced ventillation: movement of trains is supposed to do that through a piston effect. But there is enough of a heat problem already without an AC heatload adding to it.

In 1900 the average ambient temperature of a deep tunnel was 14°C. Today it is 20-25°C.

Cooling the Tube

To be fair I left off working in London in 2005 when my daughter came along as I actually wanted to see her growing up rather than leaving/coming home when she was asleep. The Tube was hell then but it may have improved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom