Phew, what a scorcher (but a good day for solar power ...)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BTB 500

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
R129 SL500, W639 Vito 120, S205 C300
Looked at the solar water heating system when we got back this afternoon and the heat exchanger on the roof was at 106C :eek:

cap1.JPG

Meanwhile the 14 PV panels on the garage were pushing 2.1 kW back into the grid (this was with the washing machine running, consuming some power):

1655484047788.png

Best news though was that the temperature inside was almost 10C less than outside in the shade ... this is just down to having an old house with thick walls :D

1655484436535.png

How has everyone else been coping today?

Similarly, it is nice and cool here - I live in an old property with thick walls, and a thick resident.

43 degrees outside where I am (Dordogne), but only 22 inside thanks to the air con! :cool:

43 degrees outside where I am (Dordogne)

Blimey. We had 40C in the south of Germany once ... they had speed restrictions in some places where the road surfaces were softening.

Car says 28C but have a nice cooling breeze coming off the sea.. our daughter is complaining though. 30C on the outskirts of London, no breeze there…

Looked at the solar water heating system when we got back this afternoon and the heat exchanger on the roof was at 106C :eek:

View attachment 128602

Meanwhile the 14 PV panels on the garage were pushing 2.1 kW back into the grid (this was with the washing machine running, consuming some power):

View attachment 128603

Best news though was that the temperature inside was almost 10C less than outside in the shade ... this is just down to having an old house with thick walls :D

View attachment 128604

Coping well up here, hoodie and beanie hat . Shorts were the order of the day as it easier to dry legs than denims.

Daughter is onto her third cocktail of the evening at some rooftop establishment in London which is presently 31 degrees.

The big orange thing has just appeared in the sky so may wash the car whilst the wife watches Love Island and before the blizzards move in tomorrow.

Got to love the Scottish weather , not.

K

Here in North Hertfordshire here it peaked at 35c on our patio, 26c downstairs and 28c upstairs in the house! Its going to be a very uncomfortable night :(

I tried to cool off but it was too warm.
So I tried a different method which worked fine (thats in the ‘hot’ (cool) tub with the beer. 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Retirement is great!!👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Attachments

• 3DBB1424-C6CD-4438-9487-694D76905922.jpeg
    3DBB1424-C6CD-4438-9487-694D76905922.jpeg
    460.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 01965647-7F0E-4D0F-A691-36DA76FE2358.jpeg
    01965647-7F0E-4D0F-A691-36DA76FE2358.jpeg
    484.7 KB · Views: 13
  • AAC5D013-929B-448E-95EE-BEB87D42BFCF.jpeg
    AAC5D013-929B-448E-95EE-BEB87D42BFCF.jpeg
    350.7 KB · Views: 13

View attachment 128602

View attachment 128603

View attachment 128604

Are you paid by the KW for output to the grid ?, I had the dishwasher, then the washing, then the pool pump and heater going - it's dropped now to 26, just going in.

Also got thick walls, no insulation....

I like the water heater, what is the system, apart from a kingspan soar heater ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220617-200135_Blynk.jpg
    Screenshot_20220617-200135_Blynk.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220617_200624.jpg
    20220617_200624.jpg
    594.6 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Our hall thermostat is currently reading 28C, which means it's still 30+ in my office and will stay that way into the early hours even with windows open. This house is great in winter but hot days are absolute murder, it's pretty much impossible to get it to shed the heat

Are you paid by the KW for output to the grid ?, I had the dishwasher, then the washing, then the pool pump and heater going - it's dropped now to 26, just going in.

Also got thick walls, no insulation....

I like the water heater, what is the system, apart from a kingspan soar heater ?

We're on a 'feed in tariff' (FIT) with the solar panels, so we get paid approx. 56p for each kWh generated (regardless of whether we use it ourselves or export it), plus another 4p (roughly) per kWh exported back to the grid. The FIT scheme was closed for new applications a few years back, but our contract runs till 2036. We import around 100 kWh a month (evening/overnight usage ... we don't have battery storage), but receive about 3 times the cost of that from the FIT payments.

The Kingspan water heating system is much older ... mid '90s I believe. There are two heat exchangers on the roof (one each side) with electric circulation pumps and the control box (shown in my picture) in the airing cupboard. It's a pressurised system, filled with glycol (antifreeze) to avoid problems in winter. The system is no longer made but Kingspan still have a network of engineers who will service/maintain them. We have the gas water heating turned off completely all summer ... even in the winter we just run it for an hour first thing in the morning and another hour late afternoon.

We can't take the credit for any of this stuff - it was all installed when we bought the house.

Midlands. 32 degrees in the shade at around 2pm e.g. driving through long woodland road coverage, 34 degrees in patches on the way back from work.

34 degrees in heavily shade woodland/forest stretches, with 37 degrees in lots of patches this evening at about 530pm. This is based from 'on the move' readings from the E class external thermometer.

In the next 12 months we will be in a position to get aircon into the 2 hottest rooms, which should help take the temp down on the hottest days, as they touch 30 regularly in this weather.

I’m extremely fortunate to live very close to the sea, so even on a scorchio day like today, in fact all week, the temperature is normally a few degrees down on inland, plus the cooling effect of a sea breeze makes for bearable living.
The UV here mind is another thing. 😎

30c here today. Loved it. Hot but a nice change + aircon is great in the car 😄

We can't take the credit for any of this stuff - it was all installed when we bought the house.
We are in a similar position with our eco house in Norfolk, and I claim no credit for the installation.
But of course, in the semi -arid lands of the Far East (of England!) our solar panels are churning out over 20Kw of power a day at this time of the year.
The whole house heat recovery system works really well for 99% of the days here, but yesterday was beyond its capabilities to control the interior temperature to below 25 deg, mainly because we had the whole back of the house open....

Been producing solar power at between 45 and 50kWh per day this week, with very little export (thanks to running the pool heat pump and having a couple of EVs to plug in and store the power). No house batteries as yet - still working on the economics. House is an upside down design so we are enjoying going downstairs to our nice cool bedrooms…

Car reported 33c whilst sat /stuck on the M5 and M6 yesterday.

So many people with windows open though....
With the heat and the fumes !!!! ???

Why didn't they have recirc on with AC (with fan speed turned down a little)
So they didn't run the engine, consume much more energy, produce more fumes and warm the planet a little more, of course!:dk:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom