Philips X-treme Power Headlamp - 80% more light

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Goldfish11

Car
C220 CDI (09/11 - Facelift) & SLK200
Has anyone tried these new 80%+ xenon filament bulbs by Philips, they are street legal. I like a lot of light and these seem quite good. A little expensive at £33 Per pair however.

How good is the standard halogen system on the R171? Are they worth replacing?

They have won the Auto Express Car Accessory of the Year 2007, see info below.

AUTO EXPRESS CAR ACCESSORY OF THE YEAR 2007

Thanks to new technology developed by Philips, drivers can see and be seen like never before! X-treme Power headlamps project up to 80 per cent more light on the road ahead (depending on the type of head lighting unit used in the car).

The light is powerful and intense, and the extra quality and quantity of light provided by X-treme Power lamps make them ideal for drivers who want their cars to stand out in a crowd, while ensuring driver and passenger safety is of the highest priority.

X-treme Power is fully homologated for use in all European countries without restriction as replacement for conventional lamps. It is compatible with most head lighting units, including today's modern complex-shape headlights

Philips X-treme Power delivers up to an astounding 80% more light than standard halogens,
DOT legal and come with the same quality and performance we put into the lighting we sell to OEMs around the world.
X-treme Power is a new “must-have” for motoring enthusiasts and high performance drivers.
Interchangeable with existing H4 and H7
Legal for road use and safe to use with plastic lenses
12v, 55w
Auto Express Review
This is so new, we could not randomly select test samples, so can’t include it in our assessment. Yet performance of our pre production unit was staggering. Even compared with the current benchmark Plus per cent bulbs, the difference was immediate and dramatic. Philips claim an 80 per cent improvement over standard units, but we think that this is conservative.

The results have been achieved in the same way as the 30 and 50 per cent lamps-by taking the allowed tolerances right to the edge. This time though as well as reducing the filament and burning it hotter, Philips has shrunk the glass casing. As a result, the gas pressure can be increased for better light output.Engineers have also optimised the geometry and shield position to focus the light where it is needed.

All the electronic safety wizardry on today’s cars will not help if you can’t see the road ahead – which is why Philips’ X-treme Power takes our top accessory prize, as it sets a new benchmark for headlamp bulbs. When we tested it alongside both standard and high-performance bulbs, it put them all, literally, in the shade. Based on the light 75 and 50 metres ahead of the driver, the best beam rating the rest could manage was 107, but the new X-treme hit 146 – a massive difference easily seen on the light-tunnel wall. As with all high-performance bulbs, Philips has taken the tolerances allowed by the regulations and pushed them to the limit, not only burning the filament harder, but also reducing the glass envelope to increase gas pressure and deliver more light. A brilliant road safety improvement.

I have the philips 50% extra in mine, no complaints at all. Have been using extra light output lamps for a few years now, only thing to remember is that the life can be shorter than OE. Big improvement in output though.

I may put some in my V70R so that I can see what I drive into, or hit:)

I had them in my S60 but with DRL switched on they would last about 3000 miles... So I went back to the OEM long life.

BTW - if anyone suffers short life from H7s in their car, easy solution is to buy Volvo OEM H7s, they come in standard and long life, long lifes are about 8 quid each and they do last ages.

I had them in my S60 but with DRL switched on they would last about 3000 miles... So I went back to the OEM long life.

BTW - if anyone suffers short life from H7s in their car, easy solution is to buy Volvo OEM H7s, they come in standard and long life, long lifes are about 8 quid each and they do last ages.

do you know if long life are less brighter than standard?:)

do you know if long life are less brighter than standard?:)

Heh no, they seem pretty normal!

I remember during Volvo ownership getting replacements from Halfords after losing both lamps early evening in south london, and then taking them back to halfords in Hull a week (and 1500 miles) later the replacements both having gone!

I wonder who makes those bulbs, you can guarantee it's not Volvo.
I remember during Volvo ownership getting replacements from Halfords after losing both lamps early evening in south london, and then taking them back to halfords in Hull a week (and 1500 miles) later the replacements both having gone!
Halfords bulbs are pants, last time I looked at bulbs in halfords it was cheaper to buy Bosch branded bulbs from Halfords than Halfords brand and the rear lamps are known to trip the bulb failure error when all bulbs appear to be functioning...

Am I correct in thinking that the W209 Cabriolet uses H7 bulbs for both dipped and main beam?

Edit: To answer my own question - Yes

Last edited:
If someone gets some can you give them a quick review?

I have used 50%+ for years even have them on my main beam in the E Class along side the Xenons. It would be interesting to see what 80%+ do.

I have used 50%+ for years even have them on my main beam in the E Class along side the Xenons. It would be interesting to see what 80%+ do.

I would say probably blow faster.
The way the brightness is achieved is to drive the filament harder so it glows whiter. This in turn causes greater oxidization so the lamp fails more quickly.

Not saying they are no good, just be aware of the shortcoming.

so do they create more heat? if so i wouldnt want to use them in my older cars as it can cause the chrome reflectors to fade...

i am looking at the philips blue tint bulbs, think they look great at night...

so do they create more heat? if so i wouldnt want to use them in my older cars as it can cause the chrome reflectors to fade...

i am looking at the philips blue tint bulbs, think they look great at night...

Yes they do as you cant have one thing without the other

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom