Phone cradle replacement...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TerrynJune

Car
E280CDI Elegance 5DR 2008
I've just bought a 2008 E211 Estate which has in it a MB cradle for a Nokia 6233 phone in the centre console. I still use a Nokia 6310i but I'm being pressured to stop using it and get a smart phone instead (fair enough I suppose these days). Are these cradles still available for a variety of smartphones like the Galaxy or the Sony phones (not iPhone, I won't have one of them) or is there a better way of connecting it to the car? I'm concerned that using bluetooth will just kill off any battery life a smartphone might have unless it's plugged in and I hate having things plugged into the cigarette lighter with wires draping all over the cabin. Consequently, would I be better off keeping my Nokia on a new cradle in the centre console and enjoying its awesome 7-9days of standby? I do appreciate any advice anyone may.
Kind regards

You could use the ViseeO MB4 bluetooth puck. It has a USB power out if you are concerned about phone battery.

Or, for more money, you could go for the MB SAP module. Also bluetooth but it takes over from the phones SIM and shuts down the phone, plus uses the car's aerial. Obviously you have to choose a phone that supports SAP (rSAP - remote Sim Access Profile)

Personally I went with ViseeO, supports more phones and is firmware upgradeable to keep pace with modern phones

Does your 2008 car have Comand? My S204 C220Cdi has Comand plus the UHI interface (built in telephony) in the centre arm rest, currently with a cradle for Nokia 6300 in it.

Wife and I have recently upgraded to Iphone 4's, I've paired both of them with the car but AFAIK it's the bluetooth of the Comand system rather than the bluetooth of the Nokia cradle that is connecting to the phones. Downside is that they do not connect automatically, which my 6300 used to do even if I did not clip it into the cradle. With my wife's competance with "buttons", I dread trying to teach her how to connect her phone if she's alone in the car!!

Comand are forum sponsors and source of all knowledge on MB satnav etc, have a look here :
https://www.commandonline.co.uk/Mercedes-Bluetooth/
It's the price that puts me off changing the Nokia cradle for a Viseeo MB4 or HPF, let alone for a charging cradle (both our phones are in cases so a cradle is not really an option).

Thank you both for your very helpful replies.
I'm not entirely sure if my car has 'Comand' because I'm not sure what that is. Everything seems to be factory installed and there are phone options in the middle dial on the dash - is that it?
I think the best option for me is going to be to spend £20-£30 buying a Nokia that fits my existing cradle and just stick the PAYG Sim card in that from my existing phone. It'll very likely just be used for incoming calls only so I'll be contactable while driving. I'll then go and get some kind of smartphone which will be a shame because I love my Nokia Housebrick.
Thank you though, I'm pleased there's a friendly and helpful MB base here.

COMAND is COckpit MAnagement and Navigation Device which includes Sat-Nav obviously.

If you don't have that, you will have the standard Audio.

Just gone through the same process

I too have just got a MB (E320 : W211 : 2009my) my car too had pre wiring for a phone built into the car. There are Bluetooth kits that can be fitted to the connector in the car, they clip in just like a cradle for a specific make/model of phone. However just having got the car funds were short so I purchased a cradle from our favourite auction site to use an old Nokia 6020 I had lying around.

Some Nokia handsets were more common 'back in the day' worth checking the cost of a cradle for the handset you currently have that may be cheaper then a 2nd used handset. Swapping cradles is easy.

FWIW - once installed it works just fine.

I bought my Nokia cradle off Ebay for £15 IIRC, but that was about 4 years ago.

The VISEEO or MB Bluetooth adapters that slot in to the cradle turn up on here or Ebay at around the £100 mark and are worth getting over another phone and SIM etc imho

BT v4.0 really doesn't sap the battery anymore (and VISEOO does have a power socket if worried) especially if its only in standby for a call (really doesn't drag the battery now)

I got a s/h MB one from a forum member on here and it works with Android 5 on a Sony, the Windows works phone and even the dreaded iPhone
No text messages (need an app for that) and no music though - though again that means the battery isn't dented as its in standby for calls only.

fabes said:
The VISEEO or MB Bluetooth adapters that slot in to the cradle turn up on here or Ebay at around the £100 mark and are worth getting over another phone and SIM etc imho BT v4.0 really doesn't sap the battery anymore (and VISEOO does have a power socket if worried) especially if its only in standby for a call (really doesn't drag the battery now) I got a s/h MB one from a forum member on here and it works with Android 5 on a Sony, the Windows works phone and even the dreaded iPhone No text messages (need an app for that) and no music though - though again that means the battery isn't dented as its in standby for calls only.

What App do you use for texts on the MB one? Interested as iv one myself

I don't have one that seems to work reliably yet :wallbash:

My Motorola RAZRi had a driving mode where it read texts out and a few other tricks but the z3 compact doesn't

Might start a thread for this see we can compare notes

Ps not looked at paid ones yet, but might go that way

I bought a Viseeo today I think it was a 2 model , but was cheap so as long works with my Nokia 6300 cradle as it gets me hands free , does the viseeo plug into my Nokia cradle or do I need to remove it , if so how I can’t see a button to release it. I have done this before but can’t remember.
Funny thing each time the iPhone I have picks the cradle up by its self asking for a code and then if I want to transfer contacts , but never registers .

Before you downgrade yourself to a 'smartphone', I would ensure you exhaust all avenues of your proper Nokia phone. My current Nokia is 12 years old, and simply goes through the BT of my Garmin SatNav. You are bound to get a proper old school solution...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom