Phone kit retro-fit CLK 320 CDI 2006

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bhafcrgr8

Hi All, This is my first entry to the MB Club but looking through some of the threads it seems to be a very helpful community.

I have a CLK 320 CDI (3.0 litre) 2006 which unfortunatley was not originally fitted with the factory pre-fitted phone system, it has an after market Nokia blue tooth jobby which works OK but does suffer from severe echo to the person on the other end. Ideally i want to fit the proper kit but have got some inconsistent information about whether the car itself will have most of the fibre-optic wiring already installed. I even have a copy of the retro-fit installation which seemes relatively straightforward - although these instructions were for US i expected that a UK car would not differ that significantly however when i looked in the boot and behind the panels in the boot it looked completely different from the pictures in the instructions! The installation instructions also referred to antenna switch / linear compensator components which dont seem to be part of the kit which can be purchased from comandonline so i am now totally confused about how feasible this job would be and what components are needed. I already have a UHI controller (silver box). The car has DVD Comand system which i believe is MOST not D2B system - although conforming that with some info from someone would be a useful starting point so at least I knwo exactly what my car is! Any help gratefully received.
Thanks, Bob

Hi All, This is my first entry to the MB Club but looking through some of the threads it seems to be a very helpful community.

I have a CLK 320 CDI (3.0 litre) 2006 which unfortunatley was not originally fitted with the factory pre-fitted phone system, it has an after market Nokia blue tooth jobby which works OK but does suffer from severe echo to the person on the other end. Ideally i want to fit the proper kit but have got some inconsistent information about whether the car itself will have most of the fibre-optic wiring already installed. I even have a copy of the retro-fit installation which seemes relatively straightforward - although these instructions were for US i expected that a UK car would not differ that significantly however when i looked in the boot and behind the panels in the boot it looked completely different from the pictures in the instructions! The installation instructions also referred to antenna switch / linear compensator components which dont seem to be part of the kit which can be purchased from comandonline so i am now totally confused about how feasible this job would be and what components are needed. I already have a UHI controller (silver box). The car has DVD Comand system which i believe is MOST not D2B system - although conforming that with some info from someone would be a useful starting point so at least I knwo exactly what my car is! Any help gratefully received.
Thanks, Bob

Welcome to the forum. You will find a lot of useful, accurate info here and some very helpful people too.

Your car is MOST based. You will have fibre in the car if you have any one or more of the following options;

Harman Kardon
CD changer
Linguatronic
Phone pre-wire
TV.

If you dont have fibre, dont worry as the kits come with all the necessary parts including the fibre. Also they come with all the instructions. The european cars differ from the US ones somewhat so do not rely on any US install instructions. Japanese cars are even more different but thats another story.

You wont have any components in the boot on the CLK as its only the E, SL,CL,CLS range that had the components all split around the car.

I dont like to tout for business directly but I can speak with some authority on this as I install a lot of these and can assure you that Comand Online would support you during the installation;)

Thanks for the response, I do have the CD changer (glovebox mounted) so based on your info I guess i should have the fibre optic cabling. Where would the UHI control module be located on a UK car? Appreciate your confirmation of the differences (significant!) compared to US component layout, the US instructions were for exactly the right model but clearly put together differently by MB fro the US market.

I am familiar with your kit on your website, but as i say i already have the control module but may need to purchase the associated cabling that is not already present. I am fairly sure i can tackle the install myself - although I may change my mind if it is more difficult than i imagine, do you have a pdf of the instructions on how to perform this so i could read through? I dont want to start and bottle it half way through.

Thanks again for your help. Bob

Thanks for the response, I do have the CD changer (glovebox mounted) so based on your info I guess i should have the fibre optic cabling. Where would the UHI control module be located on a UK car? Appreciate your confirmation of the differences (significant!) compared to US component layout, the US instructions were for exactly the right model but clearly put together differently by MB fro the US market.

I am familiar with your kit on your website, but as i say i already have the control module but may need to purchase the associated cabling that is not already present. I am fairly sure i can tackle the install myself - although I may change my mind if it is more difficult than i imagine, do you have a pdf of the instructions on how to perform this so i could read through? I dont want to start and bottle it half way through.

Thanks again for your help. Bob

The US cars use the MHI system as opposed to UHI. The cars come partly pre-wired. From what we can tell the differences are minimal as lots of UHI cradles work in MHI cars. There will almost certainly be differences in the phone controllers themselves as the USA uses different frequencies to the rest of the world.

The phone controller can be located wherever is convenient. A good place is secured to the back of the plate that sits in the passenger footwell as this means shorter distances to run cables. I am not sure how you will be able to order just the cables though.

Dont have a PDF of the instructions i'm afraid.

Yes I am aware of the UHI / MHI situation, the phone control module I have is for UHI so if I can figure out where it would normally be fitted if it were a factory pre-wire that would be a start! - Thanks for the responses, much appreciated.

Does anyone slea have a copy of the instructions on how to perform this retro-fit or any tips or advice - maybe someone who has succcessfully performed this?
Thanks, Bob

Yes I am aware of the UHI / MHI situation, the phone control module I have is for UHI so if I can figure out where it would normally be fitted if it were a factory pre-wire that would be a start! - Thanks for the responses, much appreciated.

Does anyone slea have a copy of the instructions on how to perform this retro-fit or any tips or advice - maybe someone who has succcessfully performed this?
Thanks, Bob

Your car almost certainly wont be pre-wired for this as it would mean running redundant/disconnected fibre which Mercedes stopped doing a long time ago:(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom