Phone sim card question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
C

C320Girl

Hi Guys,
I am changing jobs so I am getting a new phone. I have the 6310 kit in the armrest and its cost prohibitive to change the cradle (curly wire version) . So I wondered, if I buy a blank sim card and copy my new sim onto it, could I use it in an old Nokia 6310 phone that I leave permanently in the armrest? I only ask because if this phone is switched off will my phone that I am carrying around with me be "confused" by this and go to voicemail?? I just dont want to swap the sim all the time between the phones when getting in or out of the car, nor do I want to be carrying round an old 6310 in my newjob! :p
Thanks
C320Girl

Having two identical sims in use would probably cause alarm bells to ring at the network operator!

If you are a vodafone customer you can get a second sim from them, there is some more info on this thread: Sim cards and phone numbers

I bought a newer nokia last year to replace my 6310i and although it has more features it will never meet up to my expectations having used the 6310i, it is probably the best mobile phone ever made.

Hi, SIM copy doesn't work as the SIM has a serial number which is "paired" to your phone number to allow the phone to use the network.

Orange do multi-SIM :
http://www.orange.co.uk/business/co...nglenumber.html

Vodaphone do as well:
http://www.vodafonebusiness.co.uk/index.php?page=139

O2 keep saying they will but so far haven't!

I want to use the Blackberry in the week and a small pocket phone evenings and weekends - O2 agree it shouldn't mean shifting the SIM all the time but still don't offer it.

So the answer is that it depends on your network and tariff and then, if it is offered, it costs an extra £x per month.

If you mean can you have the same phone number allocated to two handsets the answer is no, although I think Vodafone do such a thng for a healthy monthly premium.

If you want to copy personal details between sims then the answer is yes.

Mike

Looks like a "No" then,
Thanks for the reply and link!

Shude said:
I bought a newer nokia last year to replace my 6310i and although it has more features it will never meet up to my expectations having used the 6310i, it is probably the best mobile phone ever made.

I am using a Motorolla P.O.S. at the moment and it isn't a patch on the 6310i that's kicking around in my desk drawer. Only use the M 'cos it has camera for emergency use.

orange does multi sim one number

I have orange (don't know if its just for business accounts) but ...

you have 2 phones and 2 sims and 1 number ...

you choose which phone rings first when someone dials your ONLY number.

if the first phone is switched off / out of reach / unavailable ; second phone rings.

I keep my first phone in my car. so when in car that phone pick up calls; otherwise my 'mobile' mobile picks it up.

Regards Voya.

Multi sim cost £15 pounds for initial 'set up and sim' and £3 a month for priviledge.

orange does multi sim one number

I have orange (don't know if its just for business accounts) but ...

you have 2 phones and 2 sims and 1 number ...

you choose which phone rings first when someone dials your ONLY number.

if the first phone is switched off / out of reach / unavailable ; second phone rings.

I keep my first phone in my car. so when in car that phone pick up calls; otherwise my 'mobile' mobile picks it up.

Regards Voya.

Multi sim cost £15 pounds for initial 'set up and sim' and £3 a month for priviledge.

6-in-SIM cards

C320Girl said:
Hi Guys,
So I wondered, if I buy a blank sim card and copy my new sim onto it, could I use it in an old Nokia 6310 phone that I leave permanently in the armrest? I only ask because if this phone is switched off will my phone that I am carrying around with me be "confused" by this and go to voicemail?? I just dont want to swap the sim all the time between the phones when getting in or out of the car, nor do I want to be carrying round an old 6310 in my newjob! :p
Thanks
C320Girl
There are "6-in-SIM" kits around which will allow upto 6 GSM SIM cards to be cloned into one. However, the software used to "crack" the original SIM card will only work with COMP128-1 SIM cards. New SIM cards issued in the UK in the last couple of years will almost certainly be COMP128-2 so this software will not be able to crack the encryted key. If your current SIM card is oldish (say more than a couple years old) than there is a chance it could be a COMP128-1 SIM card in which case there is a good chance it could be cloned.

(Unfortunately it is not possible to determine a COMP128-1 or COMP128-2 SIM by looking at it).

However once cloned sucessfully, it is important that there is never more than one SIM card being active at any one time. This is because if there are more than one SIM card activated the behaviour may not be what you would expect. This could range from the network blocking the account to only the last activated SIM card working on the network.

The exact behaviour will depend on how the network implemented the authentication, fraud detection etc as the GSM Standards was never designed to cope with such an "impossible" situation!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom