Phoning Whilst Driving

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

abecketts

MB Enthusiast
Car
E280cdi, Disco2, Alfa 166 3.0 and tractors
Driving down the M3 today to Southampton, delightful roadworks, delightful weather and i'm passed by a merc C class coupe (last model version), 10 mins later it's being driven on the inside lane 15 mph slower. My hunch the driver is making a phone call, as I drive past yes he is, phone held to his ear partially covered by his hand. Why do folks do this, it's easy to fit stuff to your car to make a call. So C220 cdi coupe with AMG sticker driver reg number P*NG A if you are out there please don't phone and drive :wallbash:.

end of rant

It's when they sit in the middle lane of a motorway at various speeds (in a roadworks speed section) sat right back, hand to ear on the phone, that really bugs me.

Why do you think holding the phone in his hand rather than using a handsfree made him go slower...isn't it more true that the actual conversation is the problem...not the equipment?

Driving down the M3 today to Southampton, delightful roadworks, delightful weather and i'm passed by a merc C class coupe (last model version), 10 mins later it's being driven on the inside lane 15 mph slower. My hunch the driver is making a phone call, as I drive past yes he is, phone held to his ear partially covered by his hand. Why do folks do this, it's easy to fit stuff to your car to make a call. So C220 cdi coupe with AMG sticker driver reg number P*NG A if you are out there please don't phone and drive :wallbash:.

end of rant

You are so right! Most newer cars these days have Bluetooth built in. But if not then there's so many gadgets available that work really well, and not very expensive.

Can't believe it's 2015. Over 20 years of mobile phone laws and people still have not learned lessons from all the horror stories we hear. :dk:

Ant

Why do you think holding the phone in his hand rather than using a handsfree made him go slower...isn't it more true that the actual conversation is the problem...not the equipment?

That's a really good point. Hands free or not, people do tend to slow down a little when chatting. (Me included)

Ant

If I held a can of some fizzy beverage to my ear...would I also be dangerous?

It's the conversation not the phone. There's no pint being righteous about those using hand held phones if you are having the same conversation on a handsfree...do we really think holding a phone distracts the driver???

If I held a can of some fizzy beverage to my ear...would I also be dangerous?

It's the conversation not the phone. There's no pint being righteous about those using hand held phones if you are having the same conversation on a handsfree...do we really think holding a phone distracts the driver???

I get your point. I'll consider myself 'Told Off' (again) :doh:

Hehehe. Ant

renault12ts said:
If I held a can of some fizzy beverage to my ear...would I also be dangerous????

Only if you were seven up.

Where's my coat?

renault12ts said:
If I held a can of some fizzy beverage to my ear...would I also be dangerous? It's the conversation not the phone. There's no pint being righteous about those using hand held phones if you are having the same conversation on a handsfree...do we really think holding a phone distracts the driver???

It's more the constant checking around them and the car making sure police aren't in view to catch them, one hand on the wheel, looking down at the phone if signal drops, dropping the actual phone and reaching for it, looking at the phone and picking it up/putting away before and after a call...

At least with hands free all that is eliminated and your eyes are taken off the road a considerable amount less than physically holding the phone to your ear

I don't condone it, our company fleet are fitted with Parrot systems and we are 'told' never to use the hands free or phone whilst driving as it is illegal however, their caveat is that they'd rather have them installed than not have anything at all and we end up with phone to ear

I find hands free no different to having people in the car nattering away at you whilst driving, that in itself is more distracting

Worse, by a huge margin, those looking down (keeping the phone below window level) reading whatever rubbish they cannot ignore.
I see it routinely on the A road that runs past my house. NSL, twisty as hell, and lined with double whites for two miles. It's only a matter of time before someone doesn't get back over the lines in time and meets a 44 tonner head on.

Worse, by a huge margin, those looking down (keeping the phone below window level) reading whatever rubbish they cannot ignore.
I see it routinely on the A road that runs past my house. NSL, twisty as hell, and lined with double whites for two miles. It's only a matter of time before someone doesn't get back over the lines in time and meets a 44 tonner head on.

Wow, that's a totally horrific thought. But I know what you mean. Texting is also up on the list.

Ant

the law and the manufacturers are not in sync. How many allow streaming? How do you start the streaming off?

Technology has far outstripped legislation.

For the record I find the whole illegal thing unsatisfactory. It's not holding the phone that's dangerous, it's getting so involved in a conversation that it becomes a distraction. A sensible driver see's that coming and stops or closes the conservation down.

For those who do get distracted and drive badly existing law deals with that eg driving without due care and attention etc.

Bellow said:
Worse, by a huge margin, those looking down (keeping the phone below window level) reading whatever rubbish they cannot ignore. I see it routinely on the A road that runs past my house. NSL, twisty as hell, and lined with double whites for two miles. It's only a matter of time before someone doesn't get back over the lines in time and meets a 44 tonner head on.

I was a serial texter when I was young and stupid, the extendable front support on the seat in my BMW had the perfect resting space for my iPhone back then. Up until a few years ago I learned the hard way exiting my local pub car park which on one edge has a 2.5ft high kerb, you can imagine what happened to my car whilst I was paying attention to my message rather than the road. Could've been a person in another situation

I'm glad phones are getting bigger each year, would be nigh on impossible to tap out something readable on an iPhone 6 whilst keeping in a steady straight line!

So today I take the car to Livi and since the weather's turned bad reach for the heater controls. It's set to 17C and on Screen and I reset it to 23C and scroll through to Footwell. After a while at this I look up and swerve to avoid the oncoming truck on his side of the road that i'd crossed over to. :eek:

So are buried digital heater controls any worse than a phone in your lug? Not in a 212 they're not.

So today I take the car to Livi and since the weather's turned bad reach for the heater controls. It's set to 17C and on Screen and I reset it to 23C and scroll through to Footwell. After a while at this I look up and swerve to avoid the oncoming truck on his side of the road that i'd crossed over to. :eek:

So are buried digital heater controls any worse than a phone in your lug? Not in a 212 they're not.

They are...if you talk to them.

Just can't stand t**ts on phones in cars, there really is no excuse with all the technology available. What outrages me even more is the t**ts that have spent the thick end of £50,000 on the car and won't use or haven't got hands free :dk:

Just can't stand t**ts on phones in cars, there really is no excuse with all the technology available. What outrages me even more is the t**ts that have spent the thick end of £50,000 on the car and won't use or haven't got hands free :dk:

Why do you think handsfree is any safer?

I didn't say it's any safer, it just bugs me to death.
You instantly know when someone is on the phone (hand held or otherwise) they're all over the place / erratic speed / lane hogging etc:
It's bad enough having your concentration interrupted holding a conversation with someone whilst on the move and compounded ten fold with only having one hand in control of the vehicle ! :dk:

Between handsfree and talking holding the phone (though I have seen some make a total **** of being in the correct gear) there's not much in it - the loss of the use of a hand perhaps compensated by an increased awareness of outside the car (looking for law enforcement - they needn't worry....).

But, this conversation is totally overlooking the fact that the last thing the young generation use their phones for is...talking.
This is the generation who view and type on their phones - all with eyes down and the phone below the window line. This is a generation developing habits now that will likely endure their entire lives - even if some of them will lose their life to the habit.

The self driving car? Bring it on. Safer than a semi driven car with its 'driver' more interested in their phone than the road ahead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom