Photo Editing Software help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

carnut

Car
SL400 & audi A1
Ive just bought a new DSLR ( Nikon D60) and would like some advice on what software to get for photo editing

I have Roxio Photo Suite Platinum 7 & MGI PhotosuiteII, which are a bit old.I am tempted by Adobe photoshop elements 6 which is now being sold fairly cheap....would I gain any advantage over the two software packages Ive already got?

The Nikon comes withCapture NX2 for a 60 day trial but to by it is over £120!!

Any advice on what to use?:confused:

Adobe photoshop elements is excellent, feature rich, comes top of the reviews and is imho well worth the modest outlay.

I
I have Roxio Photo Suite Platinum 7 & MGI PhotosuiteII, which are a bit old.I am tempted by Adobe photoshop elements 6 which is now being sold fairly cheap....would I gain any advantage over the two software packages Ive already got?

Photoshop Elements 6 is rather good for the money and comes with Adobe Camera Raw (check your cam is supported). I would suggest that you get a book with some worked examples/tutorial to get up to speed quickly.

As suggested above you could try the Gimp. It's free but considered idiosyncratic. And there are some reasonable books on it too.

Photoshop Elements 6 is rather good for the money and comes with Adobe Camera Raw (check your cam is supported). I would suggest that you get a book with some worked examples/tutorial to get up to speed quickly.

As suggested above you could try the Gimp. It's free but considered idiosyncratic. And there are some reasonable books on it too.

Will second that recommendation for PSE6. Been using it for some time and quite impressed. Not impressed though with their catalogue/album feature as I find it a bit clumsy to navigate around.

Consideration should also be given to Corel's Photo X2. Have this also and whilst their catalgue/album is better than PSE6, I don't think their editing features are as good as PSE6 and does'nt handle raw as good either.

All the camera mags use PSE for their example if that's anything to go by.

Suggest you download free trial copies of both PSE6 and Corel X2 and have a play. I'd go for the former.

By the way, you made a good choice with the D60 - enjoy.

John

Last edited:
I use Corel photopaint alot as i know i know it so well, only drawback with corel is the colour palettes never seem right. PSE6 is great also, and a great learning curve for moving up to photoshop full.

The D60 is an excellent camera, i bought a nikkor 70-300 lens soon after.

Another vote for PSE 6, good prices as well at the moment what with v7 out soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom