Photo editing software

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Palfrem

MB Enthusiast
Car
W124 E36 AMG, G 300 GEL his, SLK 200 hers
I'm taking up photography again and was wondering what the general favourite software might be?

Don't want to spend a fortune so has to be VFM

Probably need a pen tablet too? Any recommendations?

I've tried a few... from GIMP (free) to Apple's aperture, to lightroom and photoshop. Somehow I always find my way back to lightroom and photoshop.... they just work so well and have so little to fault (bar the price tag)

If you are using a Nikon or Canon they both provide free editing software which integrates very nicely with their cameras.

Nikon's View NX2 can read their own proprietary data embedded in the pictures, so it can do things like show you the focus point.

Before you spend money on an editing package try the free ones. They are pretty good and may show you what features you might want in a paid for one.

I'm taking up photography again and was wondering what the general favourite software might be?

Depends what you want to do.

Lightroom and Aperture are great for managing image libraries and performing basic processing.

Picasa can do some simple tasks and is free.

And for more manipulation Photoshop Elements and Paintshop Pro are reasonable and not that expensive.

I currently use Photoshop Elements with the plugin Topaz Denoise and also keep a copy of Picasa on my laptop when travelling as it's quick and easy to do basics. I'm continually tempted by Lightroom but have held off.

All the keen photographers seem to use Photoshop, but that's much too expensive for me.
I use Serif PhotoPlus X4. This is a Photoshop lookalike and works in exactly the same way but only cost me £39.00.
It is about 95% the same as Photoshop and very good value.

Would recommend Photoshop Elements for Editing but not too keen on it's Organizer so never used it. Handles Raw files extremely well. Though a cut down version of Photoshop it does include a couple of features that PS does'nt have. Found PSE Editor easier to use than Corel and offering more control.

Paint Shop Pro aka Corel Photo is ok but does'nt handle Raw files very well. Better Organizer than PSE but feel Editing is'nt up to PSE standards.

Get used to working with Layers. It will make editing so much easier and enable you to achieve far better results. Others may disagree with me but I prefer to shoot only in Raw in preference to jpg. Just my personal choice.

Suggest you download 30 day free trials of both to determine which suits you and your needs.

As regards Pen, recommend Wacom Bamboo Fun Pen & Touch Small. Once you get used to the Touch you'll never want to use a mouse again! Includes a feature called Bamboo Dock which is basically a dock for widget stuff that you don't need to use the tablet anyway. I think it's a bit gimmicky but that's just my opinion. There have been issues though in downloading the Bamboo Dock for Mac and Windows. The Tablet works perfectly though.

You could also read Amazon reviews for users opinions on all 3 products. As eGuru states, Wacom Tablets do come with free Photoshop Elements downloads but be careful and check the version. I'm not sure if it's 8 or 9 but current is PSE11. I wouldn't go older than PSE9.

Last edited:

I use the Wacom pen tablets and have found them reliable. With some of the tablets you also get a free copy of Photoshop Elements. Something like this.

A bundle of Photoshop Elements 11 with Premier Elements 11 is currently available on Amazon for just £49.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom