Photography thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Gotta admit, our phones these days are very capable of taking excellent photos, and you can now buy zoom attachments for them as well. Also easier to manipulate digital pics as well rather than the old ways of playing about in the darkroom. Used to love developing my film and printing them, but alas, times have changed.
Pity the fast lenses these days cost a fortune. Sigma and tamron can be had for pennies for 35mm but not our dslr’s
My dad did all his own developing and printing when I was a kid, memories of having to sit and keep film agitated in the developing tank & spending time in his darkroom with him.

I went on to do my own B&W (print) developing. It is such a rewarding experience. Going through the process of selecting the image in negative, exposing the paper, dodging, burning etc and slowly watching that picture revealing itself for the first time (if you did everything properly). None of this instant gratification that the youngsters need today.

Reminds me a bit of the enjoyment of going to a record shop to find a new album. Or, sitting at home or a friends house flipping through plies of record albums and playing your favourite tracks or trying something new that someone else selected.

There is some kind of added reward in having to make a little time & effort to enjoy something.

Pity the fast lenses these days cost a fortune. Sigma and tamron can be had for pennies for 35mm but not our dslr’s
Not lying there!
I really miss my 80-210 zoom I had on my OM10 since I went digital (Canon). The one (big) downside of digital. Just (with so much other concerns) can't commit to the cost of a zoom for the Canon.

Not lying there!
I really miss my 80-210 zoom I had on my OM10 since I went digital (Canon). The one (big) downside of digital. Just (with so much other concerns) can't commit to the cost of a zoom for the Canon.
A Canon EF-S 55-250mm gives very good bang:buck, especially used...

Started my photography (when the kids started coming along) with a Pentax Super A and a steadily growing bag of lenses. From 15mm fish-eye right through to a 500mm mirror. My word that bag got heavy!
Ditched the lot and bought a Sony NEX-5 with 16mm pancake lens but ended up using the 18-55mm zoom almost exclusively. Got a lot of mileage and heavily abused for years.
Two years ago wanted something small and pocket-able, so ditched the NEX-5 in favour of a Panasonic Lumix DC-TZ200. Excellent bit of kit. Great lens and big zoom in such a small package. Add in GPS and bluetooth image transfers, no storage limits and instant back-ups! All in my shirt pocket. Bounced it around the Andes and the Galapagos Islands, so user friendly and (almost) instantly ready!

Has anyone been watching Master of Photography on Sky?
I tripped over this episode >> Master Of Photography last night (8pm) on Freeview.
Judging by the link I'm a bit late to this party but at least managed to arrive at the beginning of a season - if not the first one.

Format is a glossily presented talent competition. What has me hooked are the insights from both the competition participants and the judges and mentors : 'The small movements of the camera are the ones that matter.' 'The difference between good and great is the camera moved an inch - to the left or right, up or down.'

There's also the critiques of the best and worse of the photographs presented. Couldn't help but think the woman who got ousted got a raw deal. Her photo was retrievable with savage cropping and a shift to portrait from landscape - but this seemed not to occur to anyone. The winner was worthy of the accolade. Lucky perhaps she stumbled upon an engaging and compliant subject but that she made it happen is all due to her. The way many of the others apprehended and took charge of subjects genuinely surprised me. Different gig I suppose a televised competition but it's something I could never do.

Has anyone been watching Master of Photography on Sky?
I tripped over this episode >> Master Of Photography last night (8pm) on Freeview.
Judging by the link I'm a bit late to this party but at least managed to arrive at the beginning of a season - if not the first one.

Format is a glossily presented talent competition. What has me hooked are the insights from both the competition participants and the judges and mentors : 'The small movements of the camera are the ones that matter.' 'The difference between good and great is the camera moved an inch - to the left or right, up or down.'

There's also the critiques of the best and worse of the photographs presented. Couldn't help but think the woman who got ousted got a raw deal. Her photo was retrievable with savage cropping and a shift to portrait from landscape - but this seemed not to occur to anyone. The winner was worthy of the accolade. Lucky perhaps she stumbled upon an engaging and compliant subject but that she made it happen is all due to her. The way many of the others apprehended and took charge of subjects genuinely surprised me. Different gig I suppose a televised competition but it's something I could never do.
I’ve watched an episode a couple years ago... It’s not for me to be honest, I’ve never been a fan of so-called experts ‘judging’ and ranking other people’s photographs.

My boat, at a time when SWMBO, didn't feel stopping overnight was an option 🤔🤔

Yes, thats ice in the lock (and about 50yds up the river)

Attachments

• IMG_0850.JPG.ad2b3464f0cc4416aeffca0d1abbe274.jpeg
    IMG_0850.JPG.ad2b3464f0cc4416aeffca0d1abbe274.jpeg
    64.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0841.JPG.024dd4111019c795519609d26d8db905.jpeg
    IMG_0841.JPG.024dd4111019c795519609d26d8db905.jpeg
    85.7 KB · Views: 17
Beautiful - Hawker Hart??

Hind in the foreground, Demon in the background. Both fly at Old Warden from time to time - the Hind is part of the collection there. I have a few shots of the Demon although not as good as Bryan's!

cap2.JPGcap1.JPG

Until very recently I've been using a Canon EOS 20D with 17-85 EF-S and 70-200 F4L EF lenses, plus a Sony RX100 ii compact. When I retired last October I was lucky enough to get a generous gift allowance from the company and after a lot of research plumped for an Canon EOS R6 (not an SLR, of course!) because of the excellent tracking focus. I'm currently using my 70-200 F4L on it (via a mount adapter) while waiting for the RF 100-500L zoom to become available. Large sensor compacts are so good these days that I'm only intending to use the R6 for 'action' photography (dogs & aircraft), and will keep a long zoom on it permanently.

Forgot about this thread - I did recently manage to pick up the 100-500 lens I'd been waiting for ... only used it a couple of times so far but pretty happy with the results. Sample shot of Mrs BTB paddle boarding on the Thames:

cap3.jpg

Forgot about this thread - I did recently manage to pick up the 100-500 lens I'd been waiting for ... only used it a couple of times so far but pretty happy with the results. Sample shot of Mrs BTB paddle boarding on the Thames:

View attachment 115590
I'm heading towards the Thames tomorrow. Appointment at Guy's Hospital!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom