Photos needed!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TimmTurner

Car
E class
Good evening guys!
Do any of you have any photos of rear plates with surrounds or stuck? Mine has horrible bolts that I can’t find covers for due to the size! Just a simple black surround will be fine I should think and the plate stuck into it? But with the rear plate not being flush due to the holes the bolts go into in not sure how it’ll look?
Also, does anyone know of any good tinters in North Yorkshire?

Welcome back, my friend, to the Show that never ends.... (Old ELP quote)

The nut for the rear numberplate protrudes slightly. That ensures that your plate doesn't scratch the paintwork when bolted on.

Bolts in standard sizes are available from Halfords etc, together with covers which do fit, although they are a bit Micky Mouse. (Obviously you want "bolts" not self-tapping screws)

Numberplates can be stuck on using extra thick (6mm) or double thick (2 x 6mm) adhesive numberplate pads. If in doubt, just overdo it.

Here's the Halfords link
Car Number plate Screws | Number plate Fixings | Halfords UK

Personally I prefer to bolt on the front, as it's the more difficult one to fit, while sticking on the one at the back, because it's less stressed.

My car's not around, so no photo.

Last edited:
Thanks Mike! I work next door to a halfords so I’ll pop in there! The 6 mm pads are super secure arent they? Don’t want them coming off in the car wash!!

I have 2 of these for sale, using same ones on my car, easy to fit and looks clean, holds plates securely and takes care of the curve on front plate as it clamps it onto holder securely. Came with pre approved car, they look like new I decided to use my own ones with silver lettering.
Slide plate into holder then fit the bottom bar to secure.
Looking for £14 postedmercedes plate holders x2.jpg

The nuts are rivnut type and are put in with a special tool you can get one off ebay ,,also you can get the rivnuts and screws frpm the dealers .You say you have an E class but thats not a lot to go on,, put more info in your profile . And to get the 4 nuts out that are in the bot lid now ,, wont be that easy .The holes they fit in to in the boot lid are hexagon in shape in side so they dont turn once they are fixed in .I had a number plate retaining screw snap off inside the rivenut and tried drilling it out first mistace the drill bit soon followed it . Now i am talking W124 E so if yours is some other type they might not be like this. But i dont use them on mine . I went for the Richbrook security number plate fixing kit .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom