PIAA Bulb Group Buy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimmy

MB Enthusiast
Car
Discovery 3 TDV6, Discovery 300TDi - Plaything!
Hiya,

I will be placing an order with PIAA in the next few days. In order to get some good prices I have to order alot of bulbs!

I am hopeing you lot can help me out and help bump up the order.

Have a look at the PIAA Website for details, I will be ordering stock of Platinum White and Xtreme White bulbs plus some LED's.

The prices will depend on the quantities but we should be looking at between 7-12% off the retail prices on the website, you will also have to pay the postage from me to you, say about £3-£4 per order.

Let me know what you want by adding to the list below:

Jimmy 1998 C250TD Estate:
Extreme white H215 H1 x 4, H219 H7 x 2, H222 Wedge x 2

If the H1s are for Estate High Beam and Fogs, then I'll have 4 please.

Wonder why the dipped beam is H1 on the saloon and H7 on the estate ..... weird ! Are you sure their web site is correct . . can anybody with a saloon confirm ?

S.

Originally posted by sym
If the H1s are for Estate High Beam and Fogs, then I'll have 4 please.

Wonder why the dipped beam is H1 on the saloon and H7 on the estate ..... weird ! Are you sure their web site is correct . . can anybody with a saloon confirm ?

S.

Don't think that is correct, Fog and main beams are H1, dipped is H7, is the same on saloons and estates, same headlight units.

Jimmy any idea of the cost to replace the bulbs in my 1998 C250td saloon ? thinking the Extreme white.

The Kelvin graph on the site doesn't actuall list all of the available bulbs.....

What are the brightest? Plasma Blue / Super Plasma?

Originally posted by jimmy
Don't think that is correct, Fog and main beams are H1, dipped is H7, is the same on saloons and estates, same headlight units.
That's what my saloon has. Pre 97 W202's have the same configuration as the W201... i.e. fog lights next to the grille and H4 bulb for dipped and main beam. Hence you can go for the 'cross-eyed' look if you switch on side-lights only with fog lights.

S.

Have just fitted the Extreme White H7s (Dipped Beam) obtained from clk270.

First impressions are good although I haven't been out for a drive with them yet.

Although they are not e-marked for road use, they don't look THAT much brighter than my standard halogens, but are definitely a pure white light, rather than any hint of yellow at all.

S.

Originally posted by GDC200
Just looked up haynes and Jimmy is right and the PIAA website wrong.

Dipped beam is h7
main beam is h1
fog light is h1

Saloon and estate appear to be the same.

The 'early' W202 has
Main beam H1
Dipped H1
Fog H3
Just changed all the bulbs on my '94 so this is definitely the layout;identified by a one-piece rear cover.Don't know when it changed to the later set up;presume this was done to cure the dismal lighting pattern that my car still exhibits!:D

Originally posted by scotth_uk
The Kelvin graph on the site doesn't actuall list all of the available bulbs.....

What are the brightest? Plasma Blue / Super Plasma?

Xtreme White are the one's to go for, they are apparently the whitest and brightest.

James, can you put me down for a pair of H7 55W, thanks.

Hi Richard,

I thought you car has xenon on them or are these ones even better?

Hi,

It does and no these are not better than Bi-Xenons, but you may have noticed the smaller of the twin headlights contain 2 bulbs, the side light and the full beam (which comes on in addition to the bi-xenon being switched to full). Its that bulb I want to change. I have done some tests and I don't think it will make a huge difference as with the full beam on its the Xenon's that give the majority of the light. You can cover the smaller lights without much loss of light on the road.

If you flash the headlights without the dipped beam on its only these lights that flash, not the Xenon's.

See here for the bulbs I have changed.

Last edited:
As per GDC200 & the Piaa dealers comments - extreme whites can be a bit overkill on main beam units as well as dipped. Hence why I've got the platinum whites in main beam and extremes in dipped position. Its all well and good illuminating half the country with main beam on, but when you revert to dipped you are effectively losing the equivalent of 220watts illumination on the road.

Remember the scenario of Fords in the eighties (XR2s / 3s) with the extra driving lamps ? - marvelous until you turned them off and were left with 2 candle power illuminating your way ahead on a dark country road at barely legal speeds.

Also the whiter the light the more it reflects on mist / fog - hence why piaa do a yellow version for misty rally conditions.

hmmm... good point David.

James . . if its not too late to revise my order . . . I'll change to platinum whites for the main beam please. Not sure about the fogs either . . . maybe I should leave them alone ?!

s.

Right, stock has just arrived and prices are as follows:

Xtreme White:

H208 H4 Twin Pack = (£63.95) £ 58.00
H214 H1 Twin Pack = (£57.00) £ 52.00
H218 H7 Twin Pack = (£59.51) £ 55.00
H222 WEDGE 5W SIDELIGHT Twin Pack = (£10.14) £ 9.30

Platinum White

H275 H7 Twin Pack = (£36.40) £ 33.85
HE273 H1 Twin Pack = (£40.96) £ 38.00
HE270 H4 Quatro Pack (2xH4 + 2 x W5W Wedge) = (£46.40) £ 43.00

LED Sidelight Bulb White (Capless type)

H263 Twin Pack = (£17.50) £ 16.00

There is limited stock so act quick or you will have to wait.

Prices in brackets are normal retail price, MBClub UK prices work out at between 7-8% discount. Postage will be £2.50 or FREE on two or more packs. I can take credit cards by phone or fax. Contact me for further info.

Woah, steady on I can't cope with the rush!

Must be the best group buy ever, nobody has responded!!

I guess you were all expecting a bigger discount, going on Ebay next week. A bit dissapointing as there was so much interest and then nothing.

Motorcycle bulbs

Jimmy, I have a Yamaha Fazer 600 with twin headlights that take H4 bulbs. I was wondering why you went for the PIAA over OSRAM or Philips 50% brighter bulbs. Your comments will save me doing the research myself :crazy:

I browse through a number of car forums (have to do something whilst at work) and PIAA are considered by just about all to be the best, especially the Xtreme White bulbs.

Got my bulbs yesterday thanks Jimmy, haven't fitted them yet. If they had been anything other than PIAA I wouldn't have been interested.

Re: Motorcycle bulbs

Originally posted by Fudger
Jimmy, I have a Yamaha Fazer 600 with twin headlights that take H4 bulbs. I was wondering why you went for the PIAA over OSRAM or Philips 50% brighter bulbs. Your comments will save me doing the research myself :crazy:

Well, basically as the others have said PIAA are considered to be the best. The light quality, power and output of the Xtreme whites is the nearest you can get to proper HID Xenons.

I was a bit of a non believer, I have a box at home with all my old bulbs in. I have gone from the standard Philips bulbs, the Philips Vision Plus the Osram bulbs (also made by Philips!) and to be honest they are not much better that the standard bulbs.

The PIAA bulbs are very good, I drove 240 miles last night back from the south-west, usually by the time I get home after a trip like that, my eyes are out on stalks and I feel very tired. I have to say the PIAA's give out such a better more natural light that it is much easier on the eyes and you feel less tired.

They are exbensive but personally I think they are worth it, I dont know about the reports about them having a short life, not heard that myself.

Just driven to Belgium and back this weekend, weather cr@py, lights next to useless. Expect a PM with card details for order. Just got to figure out which ones to get? Oh my eyes ache.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom