PIAA Bulbs - oops !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sym

MB Enthusiast
Car
W204 C220CDI Sport
Had my car MOT'd this morning, which it passed with flying colours. Got a little bit worried for a minute when the tester came out and asked whether "somebody" had fitted new headlight bulbs to the car recently !!

Aaaaaghhh - I thought - he's going to fail it on the PIAAs :)eek: :eek: ) . . . but in fact, I had installed them UPSIDE DOWN (months ago!!)

I had thought that the beam was pointing a bit low anyway and would probably need adjusting. . but it shows how much I know about headlight bulbs . . . . didn't think it was possible to put them in upside down !

Is this a common problem - or am I just incredibly thick ?!

Can somebody please post the correct way to insert a headlamp bulb.

Yours confusedly . . . .

S.

Someone in my office with a w202 did this too. The same guy that used alloy wheel bolts on a steel spare and killed his disk brake though...............

Do you not remember the conversation we had about this?

I said check to see if the bulbs are in correctly, they have a odd shape and a knob on them that is difficult to get in the hole. :D

Get them wrong and the beam pattern and focus id all wrong.

I said knob on the bulb not in the drivers seat.

Im thinking of getting these, any chance you could post a picture at night of the light they produce?

KillerHERTZ said:
Im thinking of getting these, any chance you could post a picture at night of the light they produce?
5.jpg

In fact, this is of the sidelights, which has come out looking much brighter than they actually are . . . but the Headlights are exactly the same colour, so this is the effect you get at night.

S.

jimmy said:
Do you not remember the conversation we had about this?

I said check to see if the bulbs are in correctly, they have a odd shape and a knob on them that is difficult to get in the hole. :D

Get them wrong and the beam pattern and focus id all wrong.

I said knob on the bulb not in the drivers seat.
I did check this, honest I did, but all looked in order :confused:

Oh well - I dare not have a look now . . . might disturb them !

S.

I've got the H7 PIAA full beam bulbs, how do I know if they are fitted correctly??

sym said:
In fact, this is of the sidelights, which has come out looking much brighter than they actually are . . . but the Headlights are exactly the same colour, so this is the effect you get at night.

S.

Could you please tell me which bulbs you have fitted (there are loads on the site) + the cost?

Cheers

PIAA Super Platinum White W5W Wedge Bulbs for the Side Lights ~£10

PIAA Extreme White H7 Bulbs for the Dipped Beam ~£70

but speak to Jimmy - as he may have some in stock and should be able to give you an exact price.

Compared to full Xenon HID units for £700-£1000 . . . I'd say they were a bit of a bargain actually ;)

S.

sym said:
Had my car MOT'd this morning, which it passed with flying colours. Got a little bit worried for a minute when the tester came out and asked whether "somebody" had fitted new headlight bulbs to the car recently !!

Aaaaaghhh - I thought - he's going to fail it on the PIAAs :)eek: :eek: ) . . . but in fact, I had installed them UPSIDE DOWN (months ago!!)

I had thought that the beam was pointing a bit low anyway and would probably need adjusting. . but it shows how much I know about headlight bulbs . . . . didn't think it was possible to put them in upside down !

Is this a common problem - or am I just incredibly thick ?!

Can somebody please post the correct way to insert a headlamp bulb.

Yours confusedly . . . .

S.

In Glasgow , we have a word for you ... !! FUD :p :D :bannana:

FUD ???? Fitted it Upside Down ?

(nothing more sinister than that, I hope !!)

Last edited:
haw haw! gonnae no dae that.

i put 100 W ones in. lasted about a week before they blew.

gone back to std ones - much happier than whatever was in there before.

KillerHERTZ said:
Would these new White LED wedge type be ok to use for sidelights?

http://www.piaa.co.uk/bulbs/bulbshow.asp?ID=led

I like the idea of LED headlights in the future...

No, the bulb failure unit will detect a lower current draw and think a bulb has blown. I did try a set but they are too directional for sidelights in my opinion, the light shines like a torch out of the end of the LED's, really need some kind of diffuser.

Jimmy - you got any of those PIAA's left to sell ??

WLeg said:
Jimmy - you got any of those PIAA's left to sell ??

Yes, Express Autoparts carry about 75% of the PIAA range of bulbs in stock, what we don't have we can get within a few days.

We do have a new on-line store that we are working on and all these things will be available to buy on-line soon as well as other parts and accessories.

If any MBClub members ever want anything, drop me a PM, email or phone me and mention MBClub for a 10% discount on just about everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom