Piaggio MP3

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

buccal

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
CLK55 AMG
I have been commuting on my bicycle for the last 5 years.

Loved every minute of it. However, I was wiped out by a pothole in June and have been off work for 3 months recovering (self employed).

With a massive mortgage and a young family to support I'm under pressure from Mrs B to stop cycling, partly as she has always worried about it.

Public transport is simply a no-can-do so considering a Piaggio MP3 for my 25 mile round trip. I have no interest in bikes and it would be purely a method of transport for me.

Anyone on here got/ridden one?

They can be expensive to maintain if the front steering/suspension setup is worn out.

Aside from that, they are an absolute hoot.

I wouldn't advise getting one with no motorcycle training under your belt however. Bikes are dangerous things without proper training and a wise head on your shoulders.

The thing I suggest checking out though is whether there is somewhere to park it at your place of work as most of the motorcycle bays in London are over subscribed and an MP3 needs a fair bit of space to park.

Cheers Spike, sensible advice.

I have confirmed I can get a space to park at work.

Congestion charge seems a bit odd as no one seems to confirm whether it's free or not ?

I really can't see it being any safer the a bicycle. Coming from someone who commuted into London on all kinds of motorbikes for over 15 years believe me unless your in that bubble on 4 wheels there's no safe way of commuting. Buy a smart car.

Cheers Spike, sensible advice.

I have confirmed I can get a space to park at work.

Congestion charge seems a bit odd as no one seems to confirm whether it's free or not ?

It should be free. Some are incorrectly registered so you need to check that it is with london transport. Sometimes they need a photo as proof it is actually a bike not a full sized tricycle like a reliant. (width limits apply)

Saying that, the cameras are all front facing so...

How about a Twizy?
Not much bigger than an mp3 and pretty sure it is cc free.

I really can't see it being any safer the a bicycle. Coming from someone who commuted into London on all kinds of motorbikes for over 15 years believe me unless your in that bubble on 4 wheels there's no safe way of commuting. Buy a smart car.

Thought that might be the case. My brother is an experienced biker who hates riding in london and says the same thing.

A Twizzy in London can have some attraction.

0.jpg

Cheers Will, that's very competitively priced.

Looked at a Peugeot metropolis yesterday.

Going to look at a few this weekend. Although I do have feltmeisters comments ringing in my ears re safety and maybe I'm better just getting back on the bicycle asap?

It should be free. Some are incorrectly registered so you need to check that it is with london transport. Sometimes they need a photo as proof it is actually a bike not a full sized tricycle like a reliant. (width limits apply)

Saying that, the cameras are all front facing so...

There are two types. One has a wider track and is officially a car, and the other is narrower and is officially a bike. This is related to driving licence entitlements, so I do t know how it would affect registration, VED, congestion charge or parking.

Statistically cycling is no more dangerous than walking, whereas motorcycling is about as dangerous a mode of transport as you can get. Therefore there's no logic in moving from bicycles to motorbikes in the name of safety. However, of course the MP3 is a different beast, so who knows. I've no idea if there are stats on their safety. And like cycling, motorcycling can be all kinds of awesome, even blatting around on a scooter. Especially blatting around on a scooter!

Do get training though. Even if you buy the car licence one, book a CBT course.

Ride a bicycle - the health and wellbeing gains outweigh injury risks.

My advice is shop as hard as you can for flouro clothing, multiple lights, etc. A powerful (150 lumens min) helmet mount light is essential - you use that to look at drivers in side junctions and roundabouts.

And revise your route if necessary to avoid the dangerous sections of road where busy commuters are looking to make progress at all costs.

Lots of lights - lots of flouro.

Cheers RKC, I've racked up over 20,000 miles commuting so I'm happy with it.

It's the Mrs and non cycling family members that are driving the change.

Cheers RKC, I've racked up over 20,000 miles commuting so I'm happy with it.

It's the Mrs and non cycling family members that are driving the change.

Get Her a bike...you never know, She might end up looking like the girl in the photo I posted up...

I has this issue in London.
I cycled for all three years at uni but when I started work, the commute was making me too sweaty... Having to shower in the work gym, carry a change of clothes etc was too much.

Then I bought a 125cc. Great fun and very convenient... London is a different place when you can get around without having to take the tube and smell armpits.

However parking in central London was an issue if I was later than 8.30am, those free bays fill up really quick..

The other issues I had were
- in the winter it was very dangerous... slippy roads, frozen helmets etc.
- Buses... always doing their best to wipe me out
- Theft.. My bike was kept in a locked shed at night, right in the middle of a block of flats.. I had fantastic locks so they could never actually take it, but didnt stop them trying at least 5-6 times. Had to change the latch on the shed every time.
I know everyone has insurance but doesnt half spoil your day.

I guess all of the above apply to cycling anyway.

I took several cab rides around the City/Chelsea/Farringdon Rd areas yesterday.

Watching the cyclists confirmed (my already formed) view that cycling in London is indicative of a serious death wish.

Thanks for all the replies chaps.

Funnily enough I asked about the theft issue today Jay. Both dealers insisted that the mp3 is not a very popular bike to try and steal, with the usual vespas etc being the main targets.

Whether that was sales talk or the truth I'm not so sure.

Especially as I live in an "interesting" area.

IanA2 said:
I took several cab rides around the City/Chelsea/Farringdon Rd areas yesterday. Watching the cyclists confirmed (my already formed) view that cycling in London is indicative of a serious death wish.

I love the idea of confirming an already formed view ... Pleonastic I'd say !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom