Picked up CLK240 convertible (W209)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gollom

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
S204 C220CDi Sport ED125 (Mr) Kia Picanto Domino 1.1 (Mrs)
Picked up this morning and for the age and low cost, IMHO a bit of a steal. Like most cares of this era, it just feels so "planted" Engine as smooth as anything and the car is possibly quieter that my S204 which given it has a cloth roof is pretty impressive!

Bonus point - has a Parrot 4200i/4000i installed - there are some cables in the glove box that look like media cables.

Biggest thing was that Sue drove it part of the way home and the last time I saw her grin like that was when she had her SLK 😁Think we may be winning the battle! ;);)

Immediate things to take a look at - feel free to jump in with advice and information! Would be most welcome as a matter of fact. Anybody have a link to a service manual please? (Haynes do not do one)

1) Wear on the seat sides - pretty bad on the drivers side (grey nappa which I understand can be repaired pretty well)
2) Very slight front vibration at 70 so will get tracking checked
3) Roof has to be "helped" from inside the first 3 inches or so when opening then folds fine, Nigel (forum member who looked at the car for me) says it may be hydraulic fluid related?) Also closes fully no problem. Needs some attention at the back where it looks a bit untidy - almost as if bits of the material have come unstuck on the edge. No water ingress at all. It's dark blue and I think would come up well after being cleaned
4) Drivers side seatbelt-butler is trying, but does not pop out. Other side is fine

thumbnail_IMG_20210405_133449.jpg

Picked up this morning and for the age and low cost, IMHO a bit of a steal. Like most cares of this era, it just feels so "planted" Engine as smooth as anything and the car is possibly quieter that my S204 which given it has a cloth roof is pretty impressive!

Bonus point - has a Parrot 4200i/4000i installed - there are some cables in the glove box that look like media cables.

Biggest thing was that Sue drove it part of the way home and the last time I saw her grin like that was when she had her SLK 😁Think we may be winning the battle! ;);)

Immediate things to take a look at - feel free to jump in with advice and information! Would be most welcome as a matter of fact. Anybody have a link to a service manual please? (Haynes do not do one)

1) Wear on the seat sides - pretty bad on the drivers side (grey nappa which I understand can be repaired pretty well)
2) Very slight front vibration at 70 so will get tracking checked
3) Roof has to be "helped" from inside the first 3 inches or so when opening then folds fine, Nigel (forum member who looked at the car for me) says it may be hydraulic fluid related?) Also closes fully no problem. Needs some attention at the back where it looks a bit untidy - almost as if bits of the material have come unstuck on the edge. No water ingress at all. It's dark blue and I think would come up well after being cleaned
4) Drivers side seatbelt-butler is trying, but does not pop out. Other side is fine

View attachment 111411
Nice project.

You might need to buy 2 Haynes manuals , one for the engine that is in the C or E , and another for a CLK ?

You might need to buy 2 Haynes manuals , one for the engine that is in the C or E , and another for a CLK ?
Not as bothered about an engine manual as would rather leave oily bits to my indie. It's more for the electrics, interior, interior trim etc. - Haynes don't do CLK at all

Nice summer runabout. Confident the Mrs will start looking for the keys as the sun comes out.....

1. If beyond a good Gliptone and nourisher, retrim both side bolsters at a local firm would be easiest (and often quite most straightforward, even cheap)
2. Check you haven't lost a wheel weight, simplest and quickest to rule out.

As to the others, have you got a decent code reader?

PS how's the roof. Does it need a clean with baby bath and Fabsil treatment?
(Some fizzy water in the glove box is good for emergency bird poo treatment on the roof)

Nice summer runabout. Confident the Mrs will start looking for the keys as the sun comes out.....

1. If beyond a good Gliptone and nourisher, retrim both side bolsters at a local firm would be easiest (and often quite most straightforward, even cheap)
2. Check you haven't lost a wheel weight, simplest and quickest to rule out.

As to the others, have you got a decent code reader?

PS how's the roof. Does it need a clean with baby bath and Fabsil treatment?
(Some fizzy water in the glove box is good for emergency bird poo treatment on the roof)

Going to get it hooked up to STAR at my indie tomorrow or Wednesday. Good idea about the wheel weight. It's only slight and if the car was not so quiet and smooth would probably not have noticed! Yes, roof needs a good clean - baby bath sounds good then some fabric conditioner

How precious do you want to get with the roof, if you want to do the full bifta (which I had to do on the blue roof of my 968 cab when I first got it) then I'd recommend 4 Renovo products - shampoo, stiff sponge for applying shampoo, colourant and proofer. You'd also need about 3 warm dry days, 1 to shampoo, rinse (you'll be amazed how much hosing down it takes to get rid of the shampoo!) and dry the roof, 1 to mask bodywork, drains etc and apply colourant and allow to dry (colourant is thinner than water and gets everywhere, easy to wipe off when wet but a PITA when dry!), then 3rd to apply proofer (do NOT fold the roof for 24 hours after applying colourant (another "ask me how I know" moment!!). However, the end result will be a roof that looks brand new and, with an annual light wash and re-proof with Fabsil Gold will look that way for a good few years.

Is the rear window glass or plastic? If the latter you can get stuff off eBay to get rid of the fogginess, fairly easy doing the outside but awkward doing the inside!

Fabsil not conditioner for the roof for the British summer (it's a water) proofer...:cool:

It might be worth checking when the spark plugs were last changed, 60,000 miles or 4 years springs to mind.

Leaving them in for too long can cause them to be difficult to remove and possibly breaking off on removal/ Be aware you will need 12 plugs.

Gives you an idea of what I've recommended for the "full bifta". If you don't want to go quite that far yet, if there's any green mould on the roof then Milton in water will get rid of that, then baby shampoo followed by Fabsil will give a reasonable clean and waterproofing.

Had it hooked up to STAR yesterday and apart from the seat belt presenter (which he reset, but still not working - can hear it trying though), clean bill of health!

Pretty pleased with that given the age an price point!

All suggestions re seat belt presenter welcome

P.S. Sue definitely warming to it..... ;) 😁

As for the seat belt presenter, motor is working if you can hear it. It could be that the plastic gears are worn out and hence no movement. They are not expensive, usually around the £20 mark on eBay. Changing them however requires the trim to be removed.

Good that car has no errors, did anything show up on the roof?

As for the seat belt presenter, motor is working if you can hear it. It could be that the plastic gears are worn out and hence no movement. They are not expensive, usually around the £20 mark on eBay. Changing them however requires the trim to be removed.

Good that car has no errors, did anything show up on the roof?
Thanks for that. My indie thinks he may have a new assembly at the back of his unit!

Nothing on the roof apart from a failed opening so we think that would confirm potentially hydraulics as others have suggested - will take a look at the reservoir tomorrow. No sign (or smell) of fluid in the cabin so let's keep fingers crossed it just needs topping up!

Last edited:
Roof hesitating at that age, could be stretched cables. My old 208 had that it all worked well just needed a little reminder sometimes to get going. £250 odd at an indie if I recall. Sounds and looks like a great car.

Needs some attention at the back where it looks a bit untidy - almost as if bits of the material have come unstuck on the edge.
Looks lovely, I've always fancied one of these.

Just in case you have the water bag issue this video is worth a watch.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Had it hooked up to STAR yesterday and apart from the seat belt presenter (which he reset, but still not working - can hear it trying though), clean bill of health!

Pretty pleased with that given the age an price point!

All suggestions re seat belt presenter welcome

P.S. Sue definitely warming to it..... ;) 😁
Great looking car, and sounds as though it was a bargain. I take it that's Jasper Blue, favourite colour of ours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom