Picked up new (07) E500, burning oil smell..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jumperjohn

Car
E500 5.5 V8 Estate!
Hello.

I'm looking for some advice. I picked up my 2007 E500 - 63k miles on Friday. As I drove away from the garage all was ok. When the car got warm and the heater fans started up I could smell burning oil, it was quite strong but I thought it was the car in front. After a few minutes the smell went and I forgot all about it.

The next day the same thing happened. After the car warmed I could smell oil fumes, not as strong this time and after a few minutes, again it disappeared.

The same thing has happened each time I drive the car for the first time. Because it has rained today I have noticed a small amount of oil on the driveway, great..........

I have searched Google and it seems the rocker cover gasket sometimes leaks a little oil. I have looked under the bonnet today and yesterday but I can't see any evidence of an oil leak.

I have it booked in at the dealers in the morning but was wondering if anyone could offer a little reassurance or have had this problem and it was an easy fix.......:confused:

It is very possible that it is the rockers leaking. Not just from the gaskets but from the top breather sections that are sealed using sealant.

Also the cats can attract plastic bags and can make a burning smell.

Did they service it? Maybe something simple like oil cap not on properly or oil filter canister not tight...

Hi,

yes, it was serviced before I picked it up.I was thinking that they may have spilled some oil while filling it up. Surely if the car had a leak the dealer would have noticed it on his floor, I'm positive he's a good chap and wouldn't sell a car with a leak.

I found this with respect to the rocker cover "For some cars, a smell of burning oil in the cabin is usually an indicator of a leaking valve cover gasket or cam chain tensioner gasket."

I'm hoping its the oil filter or similar. It seems that rocker cover gaskets can fail, I don't understand why though on a 4 year old car...

Just because the dealer is a good chap, doesnt mean he or his staff dont make mistakes ;)

It may be difficult to notice in a workshop setting if you are not looking for it.

Please let it be something simple and cheap to fix..................:(

Apart from this issue it's a stunning car, the engine and gearbox is simply amazing!!!

I charge about 2 hours labour and the parts are about £13 each gasket and £13 for the sealant.

The bit that take the time is cleaning off all the old sealant.

I would come and see you but you are 216 miles away from me.....;)

I'm guessing the MD dealer should suggest 2 hours too so thanks for the heads up! (If the gasket is the problem).

Two oil seals on the rocker cover, 7hours to fix, hopefully the warranty will cover it! Apparently the seals are just wearing so not serious but need to be done. Boooo....

The dealer who supplied it (I take it they fixed it?) should pay for it - the fault existed at the time of sale and they are liable under the Sale of Goods Act.

If Olly takes 2 hours and they take 7, may I suggest you don't use them for servicing in future!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom