picked up the 997 C4S cab

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickg

MB Enthusiast
Car
2000 SL500, 2005 Touareg 5.0 V10 diesel
picked it up earlier this afternoon from chiswick porsche and drove back to the west end.
very very nice car. the 997 interior is in a different league to 996 and previous...but I must be spoilt.
It just doesn't do anything that the SL60 doesn't do (though I appreciate it is a much more sport-orientated machine).

If I had the cash, I think I'd buy one (targa though) - just totally cool :D

The only thing that has stopped me buying a 911 has been the engine sound - just don't like it - air or water cooled!

The 928 sounded better but not sure a V8 would have fit in the boot :D .

Got it 24 hours right?

Just long enough to shoot up the M1, across the A69, back down the M6, on to the M5 and swing a left back on the M4, so you can give each of us a go!! :D

I got talking to a chap at an MB 'Experience' that seems to be a 'test drive' wh0re. He reckoned he was always being offered 24h/48h test drives, experience days, and the like from the prestiege brands.

He said the key is to ask the central marketing departments - not dealers - for brochures and test drives, and make sure you tell 'em you've already got a car in the same league. He's had a Q7 for a long weekend, and went on an MB and Porsche off-road experience this month alone!!

Is this how you managed to bag the 997 test drive?

I've now had a bit more time in the car and crawled home in west end traffic in it last night, and back in this morning.
The heavy clutch is a real pain in traffic and my knee was constantly pushed up against the centre console (and I'm only 5'8). It is not a car to daily commute in (though I see loads of people who do).
However, at 10pm last night I gave it a vigorous drive on some nice quiet roads - gorgeous in all respects when given the opportunity.

PCM (their version of comand) is fiddly and unintuitive, but I suppose one would get used to it over time.
Some of the interior bits are poor quality - especially the steering wheel stalks.
It still has flat spots in the torque curve that the merc doesn't, but it feels like a much smaller, lighter, more responsive car as you'd expect.

I am spoilt with the SL60!!

Taking it back in a couple of hours and have not fallen under its spell any more than I was before. I'm actually looking forward to getting back in to my big comfy auto MB - there is no replacement for displacement!

Interesting. I felt that whilst the Cayman was sportier than I'm used to, I didnt like the lack of view and it didnt seem that quick. I guess thats two people staying with Mercedes then:)

nickg said:
The heavy clutch is a real pain in traffic and my knee was constantly pushed up against the centre console (and I'm only 5'8). It is not a car to daily commute in (though I see loads of people who do).

They'll be Tiptronics, I bet!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom