Picked up W208 AMG....advice on navigation and phone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mb240

Car
W208 CLK55 AMG
Well, I picked up the CLK55 at the weekend and am very very very pleased with it, a big difference from my E240.

However, it is fitted with the standard Audio 10 and has the cradle for a 6310i in the armrest, and has steering wheel controls (so it has CANBUS).

I would definitely like to get navigation and also to use my phone in the car, so my questions/options are

1. Navigation:
(a) COMAND: it seems that with the CANBUS it should relatively easy to get COMAND installed on this car. But, how good is the navigation? I don't need to know where every MacDonald's is but how out of date are the maps?
- can I install a COMAND-APS (DVD version) or am I restricted to the standard COMAND (CD) - and if so, do MB even make updates on CD anymore, or will I have permanently got 2001 maps.
(b) Aftermarket: I do like the look of the Becker Cascade navigation, but am wondering if I will lose steering wheel controls, although it would have Bluetooth for phone and uses Navteq maps (which are excellent in Ireland)

2. Phone:
(a) 6310i: the car comes with a cradle in the deep part of the centre armrest that flips out for the 6310i. I used to have one of these phones and they are great, but are quite old now. I would have no problem in picking up a refurbed one if I had to, and it worked with a COMAND retro-fit, and COMAND had decent maps
(b) Aftermarket: again, a unit like the Becker has BT so will be future proofed.

I would like to keep the car as OEM looking as possible, so COMAND is the more attractive option (although a bit more expensive). The one issue I have with COMAND is I cannot find any comparison with aftermarket nav units - I really don't care for points of interest but am more concerned with the road mapping. Navteq have 99% of Ireland mapped.

Also, if I got one of the older CD-based COMANDs, will I never be able to add new mapping data? Or will I be able to purchase maps from somewhere else?

As an aside, I am willing to travel to get a COMAND installed if it's going to work - if I can get new maps as they are released, COMAND would be my first choice but I am concerned that there would be none available as people are referring to new version 6.0 on DVD, but not CD. The phone isn't an issue - I'd be happy to use a 6310i if that was the only way to keep things integrated (new phones have **** battery anyway - unless there is some interface to replace it (UHI?).

Last edited:
mb240 said:
1. Navigation:
(a) COMAND: it seems that with the CANBUS it should relatively easy to get COMAND installed on this car. But, how good is the navigation? I don't need to know where every MacDonald's is but how out of date are the maps?
- can I install a COMAND-APS (DVD version) or am I restricted to the standard COMAND (CD) - and if so, do MB even make updates on CD anymore, or will I have permanently got 2001 maps.
2001? Teleatlas still make CDs that work with comand, so they are as up-to-date (if not more so!) than any other navigation system.

I bought the 2006/7 teleatlas CD for my S-Class with 2001 year navigation and it's not let me down yet. Obviously not as quick as hard disc/DVD- based system but better to have it integrated than wires trailing all over the place...

mb240 said:
Well, I picked up the CLK55 at the weekend and am very very very pleased with it, a big difference from my E240.

However, it is fitted with the standard Audio 10 and has the cradle for a 6310i in the armrest, and has steering wheel controls (so it has CANBUS).

I would definitely like to get navigation and also to use my phone in the car, so my questions/options are

1. Navigation:
(b) Aftermarket: I do like the look of the Becker Cascade navigation, but am wondering if I will lose steering wheel controls, although it would have Bluetooth for phone and uses Navteq maps (which are excellent in Ireland)

2. Phone:
(a) 6310i: the car comes with a cradle in the deep part of the centre armrest that flips out for the 6310i. I used to have one of these phones and they are great, but are quite old now. I would have no problem in picking up a refurbed one if I had to, and it worked with a COMAND retro-fit, and COMAND had decent maps
(b) Aftermarket: again, a unit like the Becker has BT so will be future proofed.

I would like to keep the car as OEM looking as possible, so COMAND is the more attractive option (although a bit more expensive). The one issue I have with COMAND is I cannot find any comparison with aftermarket nav units - I really don't care for points of interest but am more concerned with the road mapping. Navteq have 99% of Ireland mapped.

Also, if I got one of the older CD-based COMANDs, will I never be able to add new mapping data? Or will I be able to purchase maps from somewhere else?

As an aside, I am willing to travel to get a COMAND installed if it's going to work - if I can get new maps as they are released, COMAND would be my first choice but I am concerned that there would be none available as people are referring to new version 6.0 on DVD, but not CD. The phone isn't an issue - I'd be happy to use a 6310i if that was the only way to keep things integrated (new phones have **** battery anyway - unless there is some interface to replace it (UHI?).

Comand is the way to go but then I would say that ;)

COMAND will integrate with the phone and will of course look completely OEM.
You probably have a Cd changer in such a high spec car and COMAND will control this for you too.
The mapping data is as up to date as you will find anywhere. Teleatlas released the 2006/2007 disk on 11th September this year. So you needn't worry about not having up to date data. Never buy your mapping disks from Mercedes. they are available much cheaper elsewhere ;)

email me on [email protected] if you want a forum discounted quote to compare to any others you may have.

I have just got the latest teleatlas version for my comand and looking at the CD case it states that it only covers 45% of Ireland.
It says all major roads plus cities and large towns in detail.
It also says that it only has house number ranges for Belfast, Dublin & Cork.
I would normally recommend comand but it does not look like it will suit your needs.
Might be worth a PM to Alfie to confirm this as he knows all there is to know about comand systems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom