picking this up tomorrow :)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mabz

Car
1998 bmw 840 ci sport
1987 Mercedes Benz 190E 2.3 16V Cosworth, Black. | eBay

had one of these a few years back and loved every minute of it.im treating myself for my 30th b/day in a couple of weeks.looking forward to getting it now..
it popped up on ebay late saturday night,phoned the guy straight away,asked the need to know questions and pretty much bought it over the phone.
the plan is to mooch about in it for the rest of the summer looking cool then to my mates bodyshop for the resto.:bannana:
i can feel my pockets draining as i type this but hands down the 2.3-16 is by far one of the best cars i have ever driven.
wish me luck:thumb:

Looks a good honest ad. and a decent car - enjoy it!

Looks like it'll need some TLC. A couple of very knowledgable guys on here to pester for information on the Cosworth models... Will/Neil?

Welcome to the 190 Cosworth owners clubette.

Will has been very helpful on mine, I would suggest keep a running post on how you get on!

Off I go to sunny Somerset, looking forward to being back in the seat, I was still hankering towards another r129 but I can't get the kids in the back..
Will definitely keep a thread on this cheers guys

Cosworth

Hi martin, car sounds like it's had a lot done to it,
looks good as well. Good to see you got your ar*e
into gear and bought it, you deserve it.
Have a good journey down to the south.
Some pics when you can please.
Terry.

Haha cheers terry I've been waiting along time for the right one there's some gorgeous sl rims on eBay at the minute would suit your car ill mail the link over when I get home pal. Hope you and the wife are well :)

Saw that the other day. Sounds like a nice basis for a project although I expect it'll cost quite a few ££££ to get it up to scratch.

Mileage is pretty good if it can be verified.

Listen out for a noisy timing chain/worn sprockets and look closely for rust/rot in the usual places.

Other than that, good luck with it all and enjoy. I think you're quite well clued up on what to look out for :cool:

I have quite a few mechanical spares for the 2.3-16 if you need any bits :)

Will

Haha cheers terry I've been waiting along time for the right one there's some gorgeous sl rims on eBay at the minute would suit your car ill mail the link over when I get home pal. Hope you and the wife are well :)
Thanks martin, we are well, hope it's the same your end.
It sounds like a good project hope your pockets are deep.
Look forward to your link,ie wheels.
Good luck with the car.
Terry.

so.... i got it :) initially looking around the car it has some rust in the usual areas front wings,rear quarter door shuts,very minute bubbling at the rear windscreen and a bubble next to the grill on the bonnet.passenger front door has had paint along with the driver's rear quarter.but all in all a fairly solid example but i know there will be trouble under the kit,i really dont think i could be that about bodywork its all savable just time and money. ill be looking at 5-6 grand roughly on the bodywork.ill get the panels replaced,maybe some are saveable we will see.its had a telephone ariel put in the drivers side quarter.:(
mechanically its got no noise from the engine but driving it there is a flatspot around the 5-6k rev range suspected air/fuel problem.and needs a general tidy up bonnet foam etc.
interior very good one slight wear in the cloth base drivers seat otherwise usual lap timer dead and a couple of niggly bits need addressing like the 80's yuppie telephone socket.
best bits:
the 3 inch ringbinder stuffed with history,original bill of sale,countless mb headed reciepts,nigh on all mot's backed up with sorn certificates when not in use,fully stamped book coinciding with the mot's.
it was a computer business company car in bath,then passed to his son for a bit.has been in the family since 89'
so all in all im pretty pleased.luckily my uncle has very good contacts in germany and has worked for mercedes for 25 years and can pretty much get me any part im after.
and dad's best mate has been painting car's for 45 years and considering he carried out a full respray for 500 big ones maybe ill get the work done for a lot cheaper.
its got some bast4rd 80's alarm on it which is a pita!!
will get some pics up soon.

Woke up this morning and thought what have I gone and done again!! Haha don't you just love buying 80's cars, have had a good look underneath and it looks all original bar the rear jacking points which have been plated in the past. No big deal really I'm thinking about just getting it mechanically sound first and then worry about the bodywork at a later date.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom