Picking up a 12v feed in an SLK

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BillH

Car
SLK 32
I'm looking to install my Road Angel in the empty space below the radio. It fits fine but I want to hard wire it rather than use the cigar lighter. Can any one tell me the easiest place to pick up 12V when the ignition is on ?........ If you're going to tell me it's the base of the cigar lighter then how does it come out please.
Thanks
Bill

the easiest place is the base of the cigar lighter !!! :D

(well on the C class anyway - don't know about the SLK !!) If it is anything similar (built into the ashtray), you need to remove the gear shift surround, and you'll find two screws holding the ashtray in place - but I guess it may be different.

Anybody taken an SLK apart ?

** EDIT - how are you going to pick up a GPS signal down there (apart from with the roof down, of course) - otherwise you'll need a re-radiating antenna, which you'll also want to hardwire . . so your best bet is to wire in a 4 plug lighter socket adapter like i've done so that you can add more stuff if you need it !! **

S.

Thanks SIM...

... yep, I've already got a re-radiating Antenna which works fine. I picked up 12V from a wire on the back of the radio which said "ignition" and measured 12v with the ignition on (installing a Bluapunkt Sat Nav at the time as well). All was fine till I switched on the lights and the Road Angel died... this particular wire drops it's voltage to 3,5v when the lights are on... so that's out. I can't see how to get into the cigar lighterwhitout major dismantling.. it's got to be easier that that... hasn't it .. or is this why dealers are so expensive !?
Cheers
Bill

Wires to your radio ISO socket:

Red is Ignition live
Yellow is perm live
Orange(ish) Illumination

Sounds like you've got the wrong wire on your radio loom (!), but obviously, thats not the best way to wire it anyway. Should work if you get the correct wire, of course !

I'm sure somebody knows how to access the cigar lighter though, otherwise there is probably a power distibution point in one of the footwell cable ducts - you should be able to wire it in there without too much difficulty.

Unfortunately, SLKs are not amongst the most modded cars of forum users here, but I'm sure somebody will know !

S.

Thanks guys... went out earlier and checked... Pin 2 on plug A certianly is at 12v when the ignition is on but does drop to 3.5v when the lights are switched on. I can pick up a permenant 12v from the radio but that is, of course no good. Everthing else works just fine so I guess its a design feature !?
Cheers
Bill

PS...

.......... good thinking about the footwell Graham.. loads of wires down there ... if anyone knows which one to go for I'd be grateful ?

Why not get the 12v from the fuse box, the OEM way? :)

Originally posted by Shude
Why not get the 12v from the fuse box, the OEM way? :)

Was Road Angel OEM ?! ;) although Shude's right - that's probably the easiest source of power to identify (!), if you can't find what you're looking for in the cable runs !!

S.

Originally posted by sym
Was Road Angel OEM ?! ;) although Shude's right - that's probably the easiest source of power to identify (!), if you can't find what you're looking for in the cable runs !!
If it were OEM, that's how they'd do it :)

On my 200T I hard wired mine to the curtesy light in the glove box. Its a permenant 12v and comes on with the ignition. It does require taking out the box itself and feeding the wire up beside the air vent. But it works and the wire is out of the way. Dont know if this is possible with an SLK though.

If you are adding in OEM looms, use the fuse box, but for a simple 12v power cable to a Speed Trap device, don't go over kill!

The Cig Lighter feed is fused high, so tapping from there with a smaller inline fuse is ideal. Just make sure you can reach under the centre consol and grab the inline fuse should you ever need too.

Originally posted by GrahamC230K
If you are adding in OEM looms, use the fuse box, but for a simple 12v power cable to a Speed Trap device, don't go over kill!

The Cig Lighter feed is fused high, so tapping from there with a smaller inline fuse is ideal. Just make sure you can reach under the centre consol and grab the inline fuse should you ever need too.

....or even better, use the plug & fuse that is already in the cig lighter lead that comes with the RA . . then you don't have to chop any wires up (should you ever decide to sell it!), and wire in a 4 way cig lighter socket adapter (from hellfrauds, sorry halfords) instead - which you can hide behind the carpet in the footwell.

S.

Originally posted by sym
....or even better, use the plug & fuse that is already in the cig lighter lead that comes with the RA . . then you don't have to chop any wires up (should you ever decide to sell it!), and wire in a 4 way cig lighter socket adapter (from hellfrauds, sorry halfords) instead - which you can hide behind the carpet in the footwell.

S.

What have we told you before about thinking Simon .... :p :D :bannana:

Hey guys... Thanks a lot

..... you've given me real food for thought. Glove box sounds like it might have real potential.. the fuse box too but feeding wires through the bulkhead is trickier than you might imagine. Great for you chaps with your big limo's but spare a thought for me trying to do anything in the bay of an SLK with a 3.2 and blower stuck in there... I recently installed a device to make the roof open and close using the remote key.... I can tell you there's little room for getting wires through the bulkhead... keep the ideas coming please, I NEED the Road Angel at night as well as the day, too many points!
Cheers
Bill

Hi Chaps

Pin 2 on ISO plug A is the K line feed to the diagnostics system. .

Here are the standard pin outs for most Mercs (as far as I know)

1 - Speed Pulse
2- K LIne - to diagnostic connector (Star)
3 - Telephone Mute
4 - + 12 V (perm feed)
5 - +12v switched oputput for electric aerial
6 - Lights signal
7 - +12v Ignition
8 - Ground -ve earth

courtesy of Frank Devocht 's comand installation web site

Franks Site - go to the comand installation section then connector

Looks like Pin 7 is what you need (thats where I take a feed for my speed trap stuff on E class(W210) & ML)

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom