Picking up CLS from dealer tomorrow - questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clk208

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLS
Very excited to be picking up the CLS from the merc main dealer tomorrow - hopefully everything will go to plan.

I am going to check through all the service documents and paperwork etc following the occasional report of foul play mentioned in there forums. Couple of specific questions:

1) The car was last serviced at 4.3 years 36,000miles (now on 40k). Should the ATF have been done then - I heard it was 37.5k but is it also 4 yearly regardless of mileage? If it should have been done I will get them to change.
2) If there has been any body damage etc repaired at main dealer will this be in the service printouts?

1) You should push for the ATF change.
2) No - for that you need to look around the paintwork carefully, or better get someone with a paint depth guage to check.
Note that a 5 year old car can be expected to have had some paintwork, what you dont want is accident damage.

Thanks Jay, very useful info.

I'll have a careful check of the paintwork. Any members who can operate a paint gauge located fairly locally to MB Blackburn who fancy a trip out/ a ride in a CLS and/or some beer tokens please make yourselves known!

clk208 said:
Thanks Jay, very useful info.

I'll have a careful check of the paintwork. Any members who can operate a paint gauge located fairly locally to MB Blackburn who fancy a trip out/ a ride in a CLS and/or some beer tokens please make yourselves known!

To be honest if they're prepped the car and painted it all you'll see is thicker paint that may or may not peel off.

Check panel gaps, boot floors and other areas that may indicate a bent car rather than one that's had a minor touch up.

Have the spark plugs been changed out if petrol?

^ They should have been changed at the last (36k/4 year service) & they cost £££'s if not already done.

Very excited to be picking up the CLS from the merc main dealer tomorrow - hopefully everything will go to plan.

I am going to check through all the service documents and paperwork etc following the occasional report of foul play mentioned in there forums. Couple of specific questions:

1) The car was last serviced at 4.3 years 36,000miles (now on 40k). Should the ATF have been done then - I heard it was 37.5k but is it also 4 yearly regardless of mileage? If it should have been done I will get them to change.
2) If there has been any body damage etc repaired at main dealer will this be in the service printouts?

As jay mentioned the atf/filter is now due as the cars over 4 years old & at 40k so ask for that to be included in the deal.

In case the car has airmatic & you don't already know,check the operation on all 3 settings + the raise/lower vehicle setting the car should lower & sit evenly when the ignition is switched off & raise to normal ride height when the ignition is on.

Thanks for the pointers guys, ATF and spark plugs it is (if they haven't already been done).

Great tip on checking the panel gaps etc.

Is it worth doing a HPI report? Not like I'm buying from a guy down the pub and IIRC they cost £20 but what do you think?

PS no arimatic on the car but thanks for the tip Steve.

The dealer should do a HPI check, is this a main MB dealer?

ATF, Plugs, check condition of disks and pads, make sure all the switches work and aircon works ... theres many many more things you can look for

Thanks for the pointers guys, ATF and spark plugs it is (if they haven't already been done).

Assuming this is in an AU car then servicing is not supposed to be required during the first 3000 miles of ownership.

So arguably anything due should have been attended to.

Check under the wheel arch lips for rust.

Just had my rear arches cleaned up and re-sprayed due to rust.

Cost me a Oner off a mate who used to spray at Bentley in Crewe.

Wanted a proper job so didn't bother mythering Merc with their useless paintwork warranty!

:cool:

Check under the wheel arch lips for rust.

Just had my rear arches cleaned up and re-sprayed due to rust.

Cost me a Oner off a mate who used to spray at Bentley in Crewe.

Wanted a proper job so didn't bother mythering Merc with their useless paintwork warranty!

:cool:

Wow, not the "R" word again!! What year is your e-class? I was hopeful that 2005 onwards should be fine and certainly late 2007 in the clear for galvinised! I will check the arch lips, thanks.

The dealer should do a HPI check, is this a main MB dealer?

ATF, Plugs, check condition of disks and pads, make sure all the switches work and aircon works ... theres many many more things you can look for

Discs going to be impossible to visually/touch inspect - it has these giant turbine spoke wheels which I won't be able to get a hand/fingers through.

A/C was working as it was a scorching day on the test drive. Have to say I wasn't overwhelmed by it's cooling ability but the salesperson was operating heating controls while I was driving so no idea if it was on coldest.

Final 2 questions, thanks for bearing with me:
1) Should it have a spare wheel - there was none in the compartment in the boot.
2) What lead am I going to need to connect my ipod to the COMAND? Is there an aux socket in glovebox or something?

THANKS GUYS!

It's a Mercedes, so of course you should check very carefully for rust.

My E-Class is supposedly galvanised, as would be an E320CDI Sport (Sport spec was 2007 facelift onwards), later Vitos are also galvanised.

All of them still manage somehow to rust, despite this treatment. Maybe instead of zinc, MB decided to use a cheaper material for their galvanising process. For example, milk.

As the Americans say - "Go figure".

Yep, tis true unfortunately! :mad:

My E class is a late 2007 and was rusting under both rear wheel arch returns, a spot at the bottom of the tailgate and behind the number plate surround which we only found by accident as it was removed to make the tailgate an easier prep & spray.

Sold a 04 Vauxhall Vectra SRi for this 'Prestige' motor and that didn't have a scrap of rust on it! :rolleyes:

:doh: curses, what am I letting myself in for!!?!

Perhaps I should get it waxoyled before winter. Has more of an air of something you'd do to a 1960's mini though.

Funny how other brands seem to be fine. Mum's 1995 Honda Civic still in the family without any dreaded rust.

Oh well, we will see what happends with this one. You don't see as much rust on very early 211's as you did on the 210's when they were the same age so maybe the problem is less severe.. maybe.

Confidence my friend. You will be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom