Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Value Motering

Car
Golf
I am picking up an approved used Merc on saturday.

My bank has paid them the money today, dealer has confirmed all funds have been recieved and car will be ready for pick up on saturday.

I have now discovered the car is missing 3 options quoted as fitted, a mate who is a Merc nutter popped in to see the car yesterday and checked the car over for me.

He did not mention the missing options to the dealer.

My question is, when I pick up the car this weekend and I mention the missing options ??? what will the dealer do.

1. Arrange for options to be fitted at no cost to me.

2. Arrange for options to be fitted and expect me to pay.

3. Just say hard cheese mate.

I'm paying a tad more than 30k for the car, the missing options have a value of more than 1k, the missing options can all be fitted at a dealer.

Any views most welcome, am sure I will not be the first customer to find this problem.

TIA, Value.

I suspect the dealers response will depend upon what options are missing, what are they?

If they can be fitted by the dealer than they should fit them otherwise they should drop the price so you can deal with
As ^ what options are they??

I would rather not mention the options on this site.

d w124, I like your reply, I would like the dealer to offer two ways forward, reduce price by missing options or fit them.

My feeling is as I'm paying so much money, I would rather have the options as I intend to keep the car for many years....

It depends on how the car was advertised and where and if the options were specifically mentioned in the advertisement. One question that jumps to mind is why did you not check the spec and the options were there when you viewed the car then this could have been avoided or rectified before the money transferred?

I suspect the dealer will reduce by the current value of the options (you don't say how old the car is) rather than the full option amount in the brochure

Since they are "options" they may or may not be fitted to any particular car, however if the car was advertised as having them and sold on that basis, regardless as to whether you checked or not, some misrepresentation has occured, whether intentional or otherwise. Do you have any sale agreement specifying details. So I would say the contract is up for re-negotiation, so take it from there.

It depends on how the car was advertised and where and if the options were specifically mentioned in the advertisement.

The way I understand is that the car was advertised as having them

I have now discovered the car is missing 3 options quoted as fitted, a mate who is a Merc nutter popped in to see the car yesterday and checked the car over for me.

The way I understand is that the car was advertised as having them

Depends how the car was advertised there's always the "errors and omissions excepted" get out of jail free card the contract may still well be legal and binding.

Surely the car was viewed before yesterday and must have been viewed by the OP if he is the purchaser? That was the time to sort this out.

Have you paperwork or a screen shot of the advert listing the options you are missing?

The dealer 'could' say you missed it? or the car was advertised as you bought it?

Lets hope they don't and you get it sorted, nothing worse than spending a lot of money and a bad taste afterwards.

Depends how the car was advertised there's always the "errors and omissions excepted"

If it's an error by them,how's that the OPs fault?!!This is a 30k + car and is not some back street garage selling it

I'm more intrigued by what the options are and why the OP does not want to tell us. Some sort of James Bond extras perhaps!

If it's an error by them,how's that the OPs fault?!!This is a 30k + car and is not some back street garage selling it

I'm not saying it is the OP fault. What I'm saying is the car was advertised at a certain spec, the OP viewed the car (presumably) but did not notice the options were missing. This was subsequently noticed by a 3rd party. I'm merely playing devils advocate that if there was an E&OM statement on the advert then the contract could be binding but any reputable dealer would obviously compensate the purchaser for not selling what was advertised or would fit the options missing.

If I were spending £30k on a car I would check it was exactly as described in the advert down to the last nut and bolt, I do that with cars costing £3k let alone 10x that amount

The car is not as described. I am guessing that not accepting the car will be extreme inconvenience. I would politely ask the dealer to call me when the options have been fitted. I would not ask them, I would expect them to be fitted. Otherwise I would go for reimbursement of the costs to have them fitted. After that if no common ground could be found then I would not accept the car (politely) and tell them I would have to take legal action against the garage for mis selling the car and costs accrued to yourself.

A question...

If the dealer said: "Ever so sorry, our mistake - we shouldn't have listed those options on the advert. We can't add them, so would you like you're money back?"

...what would you do?

I suspect legal action against them for mis-selling would be a hiding to nothing, you'd have to prove it was deliberate and not an oversight - good luck with that.

I suspect Mr Dazzler's is the most likely outcome, depending on complexity of missing options...it's not likely to be cost effective to retrofit, and I doubt there would be enough money off to satisfy the OP.

I suspect that it's buyer beware.

I recently bought mine and at no time did the dealer discuss or confirm the options - he showed me the car, I drove the car, I bought the car.

It's not clear to me how you have ended up in the situation you are in - please tell us more.

It all comes down to where and how it was advertised with those options.

If you saw an advert online or otherwise, and you have printed proof, then the car has to have those options whether or not you have seen the car in the flesh.
So you can request a refund of your deposit, which in this case is the full amount.

I'm more intrigued by what the options are and why the OP does not want to tell us. Some sort of James Bond extras perhaps!

Yes , i found this strange too. :crazy:

Ejector seat ? Debbie does Dallas-o-matic fitted in drivers footwell ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom