** Pic's Of My S600 V12 Twin Turbo W221 Facelift AMG Pack, 21" plus "

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A small update on the car.

As the weather has been nice lately, I have been using the car on the weekends and last Saturday I was stuck in traffic. I have this thing that I'm always checking the temperature gauge and as I looked at it, it started to go up and within a couple of seconds it reached 120 and straight away the fan came on. It didn't go in the red. I thought it leaked its coolant or something but as the temp went back down to normal straight away, i didn't have to turn the engine off. There was a petrol station, I stopped to have a look and I could hear the fan working but it was quite loud. After a short time, the fan turned off and the temp didn't go up anymore. I carried on using the car that day and Sunday. On monday I drove to work and it was all good, the temp gauge didn't move.
At this point I thought maybe a sensor was faulty or the thermostat was stuck closed when the temp went up.
I had the car plugged into a computer and it came up with a faulty thermostat.
I was impressed that it was so clear with the fault code regarding the thermostat. I can't remember the exact wording but it was about the thermostat being stuck.

Got on the phone to Mercedes after the diagnosis and ordered a new thermostat from them.
Quite an expensive thermostat but it does seem more complicated compare to an average car.

I was told I could leave the old thermostat as it was working fine and it was a one off that it got stuck but I didn't want to risk it.

New one....... I wonder why it says AMG?

Changing the thermostat in this car must be the easiest job you could do in this V12 engines. It takes no more than 10 - 15 mins for the whole job, it is that simple.
I used the car this weekend also and it seemed all good. Temp didn't move

Just a couple of pics taken at random places. This is another thing I do, if I stop somewhere, I always look back at the car and most of the time I end up taking a pic or two. I have more pics of the cars in my phone then anything else :D

Stopped at its favourite place :D

Last edited:

As the weather has been nice lately, I have been using the car on the weekends and last Saturday I was stuck in traffic. I have this thing that I'm always checking the temperature gauge and as I looked at it, it started to go up and within a couple of seconds it reached 120 and straight away the fan came on. It didn't go in the red. I thought it leaked its coolant or something but as the temp went back down to normal straight away, i didn't have to turn the engine off. There was a petrol station, I stopped to have a look and I could hear the fan working but it was quite loud. After a short time, the fan turned off and the temp didn't go up anymore. I carried on using the car that day and Sunday. On monday I drove to work and it was all good, the temp gauge didn't move.
At this point I thought maybe a sensor was faulty or the thermostat was stuck closed when the temp went up.
I was impressed that it was so clear with the fault code regarding the thermostat. I can't remember the exact wording but it was about the thermostat being stuck.

Got on the phone to Mercedes after the diagnosis and ordered a new thermostat from them.
Quite an expensive thermostat but it does seem more complicated compare to an average car.

I was told I could leave the old thermostat as it was working fine and it was a one off that it got stuck but I didn't want to risk it.

Changing the thermostat in this car must be the easiest job you could do in this V12 engines. It takes no more than 10 - 15 mins for the whole job, it is that simple.

Just a couple of pics taken at random places. This is another thing I do, if I stop somewhere, I always look back at the car and most of the time I end up taking a pic or two. I have more pics of the cars in my phone then anything else :D

Every time I see your pics the car seems better & better👍. Is that whole housing to be replaced or just the thermostat in the centre. Surely its not the complete assembly:rolleyes:. Shudder to think what they must have charged for all of that, considering that they wanted over £150 for one wheel centre cap on my S63 AMG Coupe. That's why I modified the existing one for about a fiver.

Every time I see your pics the car seems better & better👍. Is that whole housing to be replaced or just the thermostat in the centre. Surely its not the complete assembly:rolleyes:. Shudder to think what they must have charged for all of that, considering that they wanted over £150 for one wheel centre cap on my S63 AMG Coupe. That's why I modified the existing one for about a fiver.

Thank you!
I was thinking the other day if i want to be brave enough and add it all up what I've spent on this car but i think it's best not knowing 😄
Unfortunately it is the complete assembly and it was over £450 for the part :oops:. I can understand why some people don't want to own a V12 car 😄

Thank you!
I was thinking the other day if i want to be brave enough and add it all up what I've spent on this car but i think it's best not knowing 😄
Unfortunately it is the complete assembly and it was over £450 for the part :oops:. I can understand why some people don't want to own a V12 car 😄

I made a spreadsheet when I bought mine 3 years ago and put everything on there including parts and servicing. In 3 years, I have never looked at the total and make sure the wife doesn't see it either lol

Your car is beautiful, the thermostat itself is not a simple part - first one I've seen that can diagnose that it has been stuck at some point. The joys of owning a car with such a huge engine, although it's soon forgotten when you take it for a drive :)

What a looker 😎😎😎

I made a spreadsheet when I bought mine 3 years ago and put everything on there including parts and servicing. In 3 years, I have never looked at the total and make sure the wife doesn't see it either lol
I intended to make a spreadsheet when I extended the house a few years ago. All bills are in a folder. Don't have a clue what the final cost was,:wallbash: other than a lot more than estimate. Rather not know. It cost what it cost, much like car enthusiasts:)

I intended to make a spreadsheet when I extended the house a few years ago. All bills are in a folder. Don't have a clue what the final cost was,:wallbash: other than a lot more than estimate. Rather not know. It cost what it cost, much like car enthusiasts:)
I agree it costs what it costs, no point owning an AMG or similar if you are not going to keep it in good shape.
Anyway sorry Sam, back on topic :thumb:

I can't imagine how much i have spent !! It all started with the 2002 C43 AMG, 215 CL 55 AMG, 216 CL 63 and now the Bentley GTC V8 . Who knows where it will end :oops:;)

Loving it.

Looks like the thermostat has a new p/n for the M279 engine and its presumably backward compatible with the M275. As the M279 is an AMG only engine you get a nice AMG sticker. :D

Curious if you’ve ever had any grief for the front number plate?

Your car is beautiful, the thermostat itself is not a simple part - first one I've seen that can diagnose that it has been stuck at some point. The joys of owning a car with such a huge engine, although it's soon forgotten when you take it for a drive :)

Thank you!
I say to myself i will only keep the invoices for the next owner to see that I've looked after the car but it's best i don't add it all up 😆
I should have taken a pic of the fault code because i didn't expect it to be so clear with the fault...... i thought that's very clever especially when you think this cars were made from 2006 onwards
Whenever the discussion comes up about fuel consumption with friends and they complain that they are getting 20+mpg, i just tell them don't worry, it could be worse, your car could be averaging 10mpg like my one but as you said, as soon as you go for a drive, it's all forgotten :)
I doubt I'll ever have another V12 car again especially the way things are going with newer cars so i might as well enjoy it now

What a looker 😎😎😎

Thank you!

The one thing that we all definitely have in common being car enthusiasts is that we say, it costs what it costs and just keep on spending 😁.
Sometimes i envy those people that don't really care about cars, I don't think I'll ever change

I agree it costs what it costs, no point owning an AMG or similar if you are not going to keep it in good shape.
Anyway sorry Sam, back on topic :thumb:

You're right :)
I get a little bit upset sometimes when I'm paying but once I go for a drive I think it needed to be done

I can't imagine how much i have spent !! It all started with the 2002 C43 AMG, 215 CL 55 AMG, 216 CL 63 and now the Bentley GTC V8 . Who knows where it will end :oops:;)

Love your Bentley, such a beautiful looking car!
It will never end, the toys just keep getting more expensive 😁

Loving it.

Looks like the thermostat has a new p/n for the M279 engine and its presumably backward compatible with the M275. As the M279 is an AMG only engine you get a nice AMG sticker. :D

Curious if you’ve ever had any grief for the front number plate?

Thank you
Ah yes, i think you are right as the 5.5 and the 6.0l does look the same. I looked at some pic's and they have the same thermostat. That explains why it costs £480 to be precise, it must be the AMG sticker 😆
As for the number plate, I did get stopped 3 times in one month for no plate and it was all my fault. The last time i got stopped it was because of the smaller plate at the front and i have been meaning to order a bigger plate but a stick on one as the normal plates don't fit nicely at the front as i don't have the plate plinth.

Thank you!
I say to myself i will only keep the invoices for the next owner to see that I've looked after the car but it's best i don't add it all up 😆
I should have taken a pic of the fault code because i didn't expect it to be so clear with the fault...... i thought that's very clever especially when you think this cars were made from 2006 onwards
Whenever the discussion comes up about fuel consumption with friends and they complain that they are getting 20+mpg, i just tell them don't worry, it could be worse, your car could be averaging 10mpg like my one but as you said, as soon as you go for a drive, it's all forgotten :)
I doubt I'll ever have another V12 car again especially the way things are going with newer cars so i might as well enjoy it now

Thank you!

The one thing that we all definitely have in common being car enthusiasts is that we say, it costs what it costs and just keep on spending 😁.
Sometimes i envy those people that don't really care about cars, I don't think I'll ever change

You're right :)
I get a little bit upset sometimes when I'm paying but once I go for a drive I think it needed to be done

Love your Bentley, such a beautiful looking car!
It will never end, the toys just keep getting more expensive 😁

Thank you
Ah yes, i think you are right as the 5.5 and the 6.0l does look the same. I looked at some pic's and they have the same thermostat. That explains why it costs £480 to be precise, it must be the AMG sticker 😆
As for the number plate, I did get stopped 3 times in one month for no plate and it was all my fault. The last time i got stopped it was because of the smaller plate at the front and i have been meaning to order a bigger plate but a stick on one as the normal plates don't fit nicely at the front as i don't have the plate plinth.
To be fair about 2 years ago I think I got the last of the “A275xxxxxxx” thermostats and that was still about £420 at the time.

Ah was gonna say it looks smart but I just couldn’t deal with getting pulled all the time.

The worst thing is that the flimsy plastic plinth (on the CL at least) costs £100 😳 it was a painful one for me that.

To be fair about 2 years ago I think I got the last of the “A275xxxxxxx” thermostats and that was still about £420 at the time.

Ah was gonna say it looks smart but I just couldn’t deal with getting pulled all the time.

The worst thing is that the flimsy plastic plinth (on the CL at least) costs £100 😳 it was a painful one for me that.

You'd think they'd go down on price as they are getting older but of course that would never happen. I understand is not a simple thermostat but i think the price is a joke, you could buy a little car for the price of the thermostat 😁

Yeah it's not worth the hassle. I've run a car before with no front plate and i never got stopped even when i drove past the police when they sometimes do random checks but maybe the S class stands out too much. Now i wouldn't drive a car with no front plate but i guess i went through a phase that i thought it looked cool :dk:.
I'm more grown up now that's why i have a plate on [ just slightly smaller ]😁
£100 for a plastic plinth? A stick on plate is fine for me 😁

Before I sold my 211 E55, I added up all the invoices I'd kept over a period of 5.5 years.

I think it came to something like £17k.

The headline figure sounds a bit fruity but that's £3k a year and by god it was worth it.

Before I sold my 211 E55, I added up all the invoices I'd kept over a period of 5.5 years.

I think it came to something like £17k.

The headline figure sounds a bit fruity but that's £3k a year and by god it was worth it.

That is a lot of money! 😳
As you said though, it was worth it :D

That is a lot of money! 😳
As you said though, it was worth it :D

What's arguably worse is that I never had any air struts replaced nor the SBC pump and I always used an inde at half the main dealer rate. Lol.

Nor does it include fuel at late teens MPG.

But, I bought the car when it was 6.5 years old and that meant keeping it until it was 12 years old, and those years are typical for more expensive bills from things needing replacement.

This is compounded by the car being more complicated, much like your S Class, and therefore "more to go wrong" as well as the AMG tax.

I'm an advocate of keeping a car right mechanically. I think it's a false economy not to get things done promptly like that.

I'd do it all again though if I had my time over.

Hello everyone,

As some of you are members on m3cutters, you might have seen that i recently sold both my e46 M3's and I was set on buying an R8 but without going too much into it, it's just wasn't the right time to get one.
Saying that, I still wanted to get something else and i was thinking if i should get the C63AMG [ 6.2l one ] or another M3 but at the end i decided i wanted another M3 and this time the V8 model. I wanted the Competition Pack and it had to be Mineral white [it's like a pearly colour ] with fox red interior.
I wanted one with less than 50k on the clock and it took about 6 months to find one.
I won't bore you with too much details and try and keep the amount of pic's low as i think i get a bit too excited when i post pic's of my cars 😁

This is the new car that I bought a couple of weeks ago.
The car has 47k on the clock... The Competition Pack is lower than a normal e92 M3 but with Eibach springs, it lowers the car another 10mm more which is perfect in my eyes and the car has Eibach springs fitted.
I also fitted 15mm spacers at the front and 12mm at the back

I also put my private plate that i got recently.... M3 I OCD 😁I think it goes well with how i am with my cars

The car also has the performance exhaust fitted which sounds great and i'm glad i didn't have to buy it as it's £2.5K

They look good together :)

With spacers fitted

For anyone that hadn't seen pic's of my e46 M3's, this were the cars that i recently sold

Individual M3, in Le mans blue with white interior. I done a full restoration on this car, it really was like new, in, out and underneath. 1 out of 24 world wide in this colour combination. I think i might regret selling this car as the prices have gone crazy for this cars lately and i can only seem them going up even more

I still have this plate but it's on retention.... Before anyone says anything, yes the plate is T80 OCD but I have put a screw in the middle so it looks like T00 OCD. Some might not agree with this but i love this plate

This was my convertible M3 with 28k on the clock... I had this for just over 10 years. I bought it when i was 22. My first BMW

Most of us like looking at pic's of cars and even though this a Mercedes forum we can all appreciate other brands too :)

Last edited:
Looks like the front plate on your Merc is not full size font. I have one on my S63 which is 3/4 size font. Was stopped yesterday & they said your front plate is illegal, get it changed. You can be fined £100 & plate revoked by DVLA. They did not give me any ticket or paperwork, but did do a check on my licence, so don't know if I am going to be fined or not. Had a correct size one at home, so its now on. They did not mention anything about the mis-spacing so I will leave it just now & see if anything arrives in the post. Apparently there is one officer where I stay who is obsessed with number plates, think I got him as he was on the opposite side of a dual carriageway near a roundabout. Watch yourself. How clean is the underside of your car, wow, amazing👍

Looks like the front plate on your Merc is not full size font. I have one on my S63 which is 3/4 size font. Was stopped yesterday & they said your front plate is illegal, get it changed. You can be fined £100 & plate revoked by DVLA. They did not give me any ticket or paperwork, but did do a check on my licence, so don't know if I am going to be fined or not. Had a correct size one at home, so its now on. They did not mention anything about the mis-spacing so I will leave it just now & see if anything arrives in the post. Apparently there is one officer where I stay who is obsessed with number plates, think I got him as he was on the opposite side of a dual carriageway near a roundabout. Watch yourself. How clean is the underside of your car, wow, amazing👍

I should put back the normal size front plate as i also got stopped for the same reason as you but I have been meaning to order a bigger stick on number plate as i don't have the number plate plinth and by just putting the normal plate on doesn't fit very well.
It's not worth the risk to be honest. In the past on some cars i didn't have a front plate at all but as you get older you realise some things don't look as cool as you thought they did 😁... I'm still young that's why I've progressed to having a front plate on now but still not the correct size..... I need some more time to fully mature 😆

As for the underside, I've done it to a few of my other cars and it's so time consuming and tiring to do, I always say no more but once i get a different car, i seem to forget what a headache it was to do.

WOW! Sam, what lovely M3s :cool: :)👍

Thank you! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom