picture request W203

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tilly

Having doubts again....

has anyone got any pictures of a W203 on 19" wheels? either a sport edition like mine or a car that has sports suspension (it has to be the factory sports suspension) its for height purposes, I'm not going to be lowering it with aftermarket kits i just want to fit the rims to the car as is, please help! Cheers

hey... I had 18's on my first car, im only young, and its a big thing in the beemer world. When I had my coupe a little while back all the BM lads were fitting 19" rims regardless of engine size, theres people driving 318 verts on 19's but they look well without spoiling the car. Its the norm over there and personally I just lover the look

Tilly said:
hey... I had 18's on my first car, im only young, and its a big thing in the beemer world. When I had my coupe a little while back all the BM lads were fitting 19" rims regardless of engine size, theres people driving 318 verts on 19's but they look well without spoiling the car. Its the norm over there and personally I just lover the look
I don't see any problem regarding engine capacity vs wheel diameter, the two are not related!

Which wheel were you thinking of? I could knock something up for you whenever you want.

Its always the wheels that "make the car - Its the wheels that get most cars noticed.

Tilly: not a great deal of visual difference between 18&19" wheels. Just less rubber and the ride quality will be a little harsher... If it was me I would stick with the 18s

im looking again at the brabus monoblock VI split rim design, same wheels as before only 19" but as mentioned, i dont want to change the suspension setup due to insurance reasons

Tilly said:
im looking again at the brabus monoblock VI split rim design, same wheels as before only 19" but as mentioned, i dont want to change the suspension setup due to insurance reasons
Then it will look silly.

You could experiment with the spring perches but I'm not sure if the W203 can be adjusted in the same way. If it can then we're talking about a £50 mod that will lower your car by up to an inch with no need to inform the insurance company.

Shude said:
I don't see any problem regarding engine capacity vs wheel diameter, the two are not related!

Which wheel were you thinking of? I could knock something up for you whenever you want.

The two are directly related! Bling wheels on standard cars are like go-faster stripes IMHO. The ride will be horrible without careful suspension changes.

Tilly said:
i dont want to change the suspension setup due to insurance reasons

Have you checked that non-standard wheels won't hit your insurance? Companies vary a lot on this, some don't care but many do.

stats007 said:
The two are directly related! Bling wheels on standard cars are like go-faster stripes IMHO. The ride will be horrible without careful suspension changes.
Still see no relationship between wheel diameter and engine capacity!

Funny how wheels generally get bigger as displacement goes up though! Wonder why? :D

I just think 19s are excessive on a C180 - all show no go! What next? a Barry exhaust?

Last edited:
stats007 said:
all show no go!
Isn't that how young guns start out because they have limited money so they need a high "show to dough" ratio.

Unfortunately for them the amount of money available for a nice car often then goes down for quite a few years.

Maybe, though I went the opposite route and bought old cars where originality was important - can you tell I'm not a fan of modding?!

stats007 said:
Funny how wheels generally get bigger as displacement goes up though! Wonder why?

I just think 19s are excessive on a C180 - all show no go! What next? a Barry exhaust?

right dont take this the wrong way but i find it offensive when you slate people like that just labelling me and the type of person i am just because i want to fit some bigger wheels because it will in my opinion improve the look of the car.

Answer me this... why do mercedes offer factory upgrade alloys regardless of engine capacity? whats the point in them? do you give people sh*t who choose to upgrade to higher factory specs? no... why not? better still.. if you want to get picky, why buy a merc when you could buy another car for half the price that does more MPG. All show? you decide.

Stop being so patronising. Just because you can afford a nice big displacement motor unfortunately I can't and I'm happy to be able to say I drive a brand new Merc at the age of 18 with no help from anyone else. I came on this forum with an open mind willing to learn and did nothing more than request a few pictures yet as always someone has got to find fault. Its nothing to do with a "show to dough ratio" I want to do two things to the car, the alloys and window tints because I feel it would finish the look of the car off. Now answer me this, what makes someone fitting 19's and tinted windows to an AMG more acceptable? At the end of the day the extra weight of the wheels will affect their performance too. You guys on here are meant to be enthusiasts, not pick holes in everything I say or do, people are entitled to their own opinions and I respect that but comments like that above which are obviously sarcastic and meant to have a go are totally uncalled for, I might aswell just go elsewhere.

Tilly said:
At the end of the day the extra weight of the wheels will affect their performance too.
Tyres usually weigh more than the rims they are wrapped around, larger diameter wheels with low profile tyres weigh a lot less than small steels with big sidewalls or smaller alloys :)
Tilly said:
You guys on here are meant to be enthusiasts, not pick holes in everything I say or do, people are entitled to their own opinions and I respect that but comments like that above which are obviously sarcastic and meant to have a go are totally uncalled for, I might aswell just go elsewhere.
I'm only going to pick holes in things that are wrong ;)

W203 sport package models come with 17" wheels regardless of engine capacity anyway :)

Shude said:
Tyres usually weigh more than the rims they are wrapped around, larger diameter wheels with low profile tyres weigh a lot less than small steels with big sidewalls or smaller alloys :)

I'm only going to pick holes in things that are wrong ;)

W203 sport package models come with 17" wheels regardless of engine capacity anyway :)

no dont get me wrong shude I dont have a problem with what you said about it would look silly. That was my reason for wanting the pictures because the sports edition is lowered as standard over a normal avantgarde thats why I thought it may still look okay even with the increase in wheel size. As for the 17" wheels regardless yes I know but at the same time I dont just mean just the C class's in particular, i mean any car.

But for example even within the C class range if you go out and buy an avantgarde for example it has five spoke 16" wheels yet mercedes offer the EXACT same wheels but an inch bigger for £440 yet noone picks holes in that do they? whats the point in that? but as per usual, theres more chance of me platting piss than getting a reasonable reply on the forum from some people, I wasnt having a go at you shude, you've been nothing but helpful to me since I joined here and I do appreciate it

Last edited:
Tilly said:
but as per usual, theres more chance of me platting piss than getting a reasonable reply on the forum from some people
and i like your car and think an alloy upgrade would look good.
What tint are you going for and how many windows?

Tilly said:
I want to do two things to the car, the alloys and window tints

I already mentioned about checking with your insurance re. the wheels, the bad news is that window tints are often counted as a 'modification' too. I would definitely give them a call and check.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom