Piggy Banks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A

Ashley

I know it a old story put today was the frist I had heard of it.

British banks are banning piggy banks because they may offend some Muslims.

Halifax and NatWest banks have led the move to scrap the time-honoured symbol of saving from being given to children or used in their advertising, the Daily Express/Daily Star group reports here.

Muslims do not eat pork, as Islamic culture deems the pig to be an impure animal.

Salim Mulla, secretary of the Lancashire Council of Mosques, backed the bank move.

"This is a sensitive issue and I think the banks are simply being courteous to their customers," he said.

However, the move brought accusations of political correctness gone mad from critics.

"The next thing we will be banning Christmas trees and cribs and the logical result of that process is a bland uniformity," the Dean of Blackburn, Reverend Christopher Armstrong, said.

"We should learn to celebrate our difference, not be fearful of them."

Khalid Mahmoud, the Labour MP for a Birmingham seat and one of four Muslim MPs in Britain, also criticised the piggy-bank ban.

"We live in a multicultural society and the traditions and symbols of one community should not be obliterated just to accommodate another," Mr Mahmoud said.

"I doubt many Muslims would be seriously offended by piggy banks."

http://www.theage.com.au/news/World/Piggy-banks-offend-UK-Muslims/2005/10/24/1130006056771.html
And people ask why I want out.

Political Correctness is being offended on somebody else's behalf, and is patronising in the extreme. It is, therefore more insulting to the individual than the 'offence' was in the first place.

imadoofus, January 2006

PJ

zooman said:
I know it a old story put today was the frist I had heard of it.

And people ask why I want out.

The trouble is we tend to just look at our own stupidity.

What about the grandmother in America that tried to board an aircraft and had her toy Action Man gift confiscated because it was carrying an offensive weapon!!! Now that is unbelieveable, but true.

Native Americans?????? What the heck??? I used to play Cowboys and Indians but that is considered politically incorrect?

John

glojo said:
Native Americans?????? What the heck??? I used to play Cowboys and Indians but that is considered politically incorrect?

John

George Dubya still does......one day he will find India on the map as well! then he will plot some idiot idea against them.

My piggy bank is a hippo. could i be had for keeping an impression of a wild animal in captivity?

I wonder when they will ban blue skies on postcards, so you dont inadvertantly upset those with sensitive skin? and no pictures of open spaces for agrophobics?, no pictures from the top of tall towers for those who have acrophobia? none of green fields for those suffering hay fever? no colour pictures for those with colour blindness! i could go on.

do they do postcards in braille? I always thought printed music was braille for the sighted! humph, silly me!!

Reactions: PJH
What do Islamic children put their money in ? Camel banks ? Goat banks ?
Someone PLEASE tell us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom