Pilot Sport 4 or Crossclimate on front of W212 E Class ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pmcgsmurf

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E55 AMG W211, E250 Sport W212, (and some Imps)
I need new tyres on the front of the W212 E250.

First choice would be Pilot Sport 4.

Considering perhaps Crossclimate though as they are now available in the correct size.
The Crossclimate seem to get good reviews.

Car wont be used in snow (it's a rwd Merc. ;)) so then I'm thinking if there is any point in going for the Crossclimate. :confused:

Anyone went the Crossclimate route and got any comments?

Dunlop maxxx sport 2 I think is what I have in 19s my rears have done 28000 MLS two new fronts now on 8000mls mot in march gave 5/6 mm on all four, but I don't drive it like I stole it. :) ok

Do you know where to buy the rubber treatment for panam

roofs,also door and window rubbers? Not the stealer dealers.

Dunlop maxxx sport 2 I think is what I have in 19s my rears have done 28000 MLS two new fronts now on 8000mls mot in march gave 5/6 mm on all four, but I don't drive it like I stole it. :) ok

Dunlop are off the list now after the Audi problem we found on the 21" tyres and Dunlop denied it was a known problem even though it is widely reported.

Do you know where to buy the rubber treatment for panam

roofs,also door and window rubbers? Not the stealer dealers.

I use Gummi Pflege, or Autoglym Rubber Care (on less loved cars) plenty of places sell it inc. Amazon.

Don't mix tyre TYPEs
And also, when it gets colder the better grip of the cross climate will mean the rear axle doesn't follow the front due to the different type of tyre.....

That's a fair point but I rarely drive this car, maybe 1,500 miles a year and never in bad weather or fast. ;)
I was thinking for when the rear need changed too then matching these to the front.
I'll check the rears and see what is on though and when these are likely to need changed before deciding.

E350 on 18's 2015. Replaced the Contisports with Michelin PS4's all round.
Car now much quieter and the handling (which I previously thought couldn't be improved on, is absolutely transformed.

Just checked my tyres:

Bridgestone on the front. 4.2mm or more.

Goodyear Eagle F1 on the rear. 6.5mm or more.

Must have changed the rears over to Goodyear at some point, can't remember that.

Think I'll just do Goodyear Eagle F1 on the front as well to match the rears.

I’ve got PS4 all round Pat and they are absolutely brilliant. Call Craig/Greg at Skidz, he’s a ”Michelin Partner” with the best prices. You may know them already Try Costco also for good pricing.
However the new Goodyear A5 get great reviews too.

I had two Pilot sport 4's fitted to the front of my 212 at costco for just under £200 all in. They seem quiet and less crashy over bumps than the Bridgestones that were on before. When they were fitted I had to check they were the correct size as the sidewalls seem much higher than the Bridgestones.

I bought the car from Mercedes of Chelsea, two years ago it had two Dunlop's sport maxx on

Rears 19,s X 255 one Yokahama on left front , and Bridgestone on right front, they were so blacked up I couldn't read the maker name. It had been owned by dealer from new, and came I think from acounts manager, with better part of thirty thousand on rears, nearside Yoko almost scrubbed on inner tread ,tracking and alignmentsso far out of line, wasn't long before I bought from black circles I think, for two Dunlop's to match the rears, pleased with wet mi and dry grip, they are some of the quietest tyers on the market.💤🚴
Pl

Attachments

• IMG_20180326_071540.png
    IMG_20180326_071540.png
    764.2 KB · Views: 8
You wont get a better tyre than the Pilot Sport 4.

I’ve got PS4 all round Pat and they are absolutely brilliant. Call Craig/Greg at Skidz, he’s a ”Michelin Partner” with the best prices. You may know them already Try Costco also for good pricing.
However the new Goodyear A5 get great reviews too.

Thanks, dropped them a line, £216 at Costco so not too bad at all, need to change them next week at the latest.

I’ve got PS4 all round Pat and they are absolutely brilliant. Call Craig/Greg at Skidz, he’s a ”Michelin Partner” with the best prices. You may know them already,,,,,

Good call on Skidz, just dropped 4 wheels off for refurb.

They talked me out of Diamond Cut (DC), £280 for Powder Coat against £400 for DC.

Reactions: HB
Good call on Skidz, just dropped 4 wheels off for refurb.

They talked me out of Diamond Cut (DC), £280 for Powder Coat against £400 for DC.
They’re brilliant. I’ve known the owner 20 plus years and can’t say enough good things about them.

They’re brilliant. I’ve known the owner 20 plus years and can’t say enough good things about them.

Sounds good, got another 4 wheels to drop of to them on Friday so with good results they will get a bit of business from us.

Not that impressed after they were done back in 2017, apart from some of the corrosion under the laquer over the Diamond Cut there is paint coming off on other parts of the wheels.
You can see underneath how smooth it is as if it has not been keyed for the new paint.

We tried a company over here a couple of months ago for a 21" one but again not that impressed and they seem to have a problem giving me a price per size of wheels!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom