Pings

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

manpolsabre

Car
1992 300D
I've got one or two 'pings' from car doors etc on my 300D, and they spoil an otherwise really good body. I've heard of people who can come out and fix them.
I don't know whether to try and get them fixed, or if it's best to just leave them.

How do they do it?
Is it worth doing?
Will it not crack the paint?

Any advice or previous experience will be greatly appreciated.

1976 Citroen 2CV
1992 300D

Bob

I had some door dings removed about a year ago. I used a mobile paintless dent removal guy. He came to me at work and did a fantastic job. Looked like new when he'd finished. I got charged per panel (£50 pp) - two panels (7 dents in total) - £100 total charge. A body repair shop quoted £330 :eek:

I was working and left him to crack on but I believe they have lots of metal rods they use to get behind the panels and pop the dents out. He was saying that big or very sharp dents won't pop out as the metal has been stressed too much to return to its original shape.

If the paint is okay with the dents it should still be fine after the repair.

Is it worth it? IMO, absolutely!! :D

(Now I only ever parallel park or park at the furthest end of a car park. Too many morons)

When my car was for sale the offside rear passenger door had a really major door ding down the bottom. Part of the bargain I had negotiated was that the ding was repaired by the garage selling the car. The garage used 'Dent Wizard' and they did a fantastic job.

Fortunately I got to see the whole process and as Simon has said they have long metal rods which are angled at one end. They wedge the gap open between the glass and the outer door skin and slip the metal rods down and by twisting them they can push the dent back out, they also have what looks like a rubber tipped centre punch and they use this with a hammer to get the perfect finish. I'd certainly use them again. Although the garage was paying for the repair I asked how much it would cost if I was having to pay privately and reckoned between £70 to £90 for that one ding. Note not all dings are suitable for this method of repair.

S.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom