Pink Floyd and Others

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

effbee584

Car
Jag XF 3.0S and 10 yr old Micra 1.2 auto with Air Con.
Hi There effbee584, I see you quoted Pink Floyd are you by any chance an admirer of them. Thing is I took all my collection and converted the tracks to MP3`s (some 7 hours) and put them to DVD. My MB has DVD so now its absolute bliss, what a way to go driving the thing I love while listening to the boys. If your interested I will mail you a copy, it would be my pleasure.

The above is a kind offer from John Cook, that I have accepted by PM, it is also well-timed because iTunes has blocked access to all my Pink Floyd tracks, and others, due to an email/password issue I cannot resolve.

So to respond, perhaps a Pink Floyd thread is merited.

More than an admirer, I have been listening to Pink Floyd since the late 70's when 'The Wall' came out. At that time I was one of several guys that ran a 'HiFi club' at our RAF station in West Germany (as it was then) and it was an album we all 'discovered' at the same time, and we had the use of top quality equipment to play it on (all on loan from manufacturers). I saw them live only once at Wembley (mid 80's ?) when they did the crashing plane and floating pig things and opened the show with 'Wish you were here'.

I added some lines from 'Time' in my signature because every line of that song is so strong and meaningful. Will post all the words if anyone wants, or have a listen to the song.

I am absolutely not into poetry or literature, but words put to music do appeal to me. Essentially, to me the song is saying, don't waste your life, life is short, don't have any regrets at the end and life is wasted on the young!

I was in Kerala for a while, and at one of the hotels, a local group played 'Coming back to Life' note and word perfect, what a surprising place to hear that song. When I was recovering from an operation and needed some exercise, I played this and many other Pink Floyd tracks an a loop from my iPod as I walked the corridors of the hospital to get fitter.

Pink Floyd are not the only ones, but do stay at No1 for me. I have a video of them closing a Knebworth show, playing in heavy rain, its just so good. Roger doing 'Wish you were here' at any time is sublime. Playing Pink Floyd in the car has me and wife singing along, one of the few groups she really enjoys.

Views on Pink Floyd or any other memorable tracks, not classical please, would be welcome.

Thanks again John, look forward to getting the DVD and will report back to you by PM.

Great music to lose yourself in for a few hours.

My lad plays a mean "Wish You Were Here".

Last edited:
Another fan here. :rock: The first album I bought was Dark Side of the Moon; that was only a couple of years ago! Not really been into music that much, but after hearing most of it on Absolute Classic Rock, I decided to buy it. Also got Echoes (The Best Of Pink FLoyd) at the same time. Like you, I find the words to Time really poignant.

Go see either :

Brit Floyd
The Australian Pink Floyd Show

A brilliant night out for £30 or so and as close to the real thing as we are likely to ever see again.

+1 for The Australian Pink Floyd. Very very good. So good David Gilmour hired them for his birthday party a few years back.

Treat yourself to "Pulse" the best live show ever recorded by Pink Floyd and the last live album featuring the late Rick Wright, "Live in Gdansk" filmed in 2006. Both masterpieces in recording.

+1 Fan here.

Awesome band.

They always opened their shows with 'wish you were here' as a tribute to Syd Barrett.

I was at the last Earls court show in the 90's. Still the best show ever.

Another one here too.

I've had the awesome privilege of playing a few charity gigs with David Gilmour - a very pleasant bloke indeed. Through him I've met most of the band and crew, have been backstage, etc.

My Dad took me to see "The Wall" on tour - he's a big fan from their very early days - so the Floyd were a large part of my childhood. "WYWH", "Comfortably Numb" and "The Wall (Part 2)" were on my demo CD when I was an aspiring session player, and it's an unbelievable thrill to be able to play those alongside the man himself.

The Australian Pink Floyd would be the band for me. I hate to call them a "tribute" band as I think they go beyond that (bit like The Musical Box and Genesis...) and it's a shame that my kids won't get to see them in the full-on splendour that was Floyd live.

Yup another fan here, since the 70s :)

Dark Side of the Moon and Wish You Were Here are probably my favourites. I rather like The Division Bell too.

They shot some of the film 'The Wall' in the road I lived in at the time, near Hampton Court.

Only saw them once, at Wembley in 1988 on the Momentary Lapse of Reason tour.

By the way, which one's Pink? :cool:

Last edited:
I've had the awesome privilege of playing a few charity gigs with David Gilmour - a very pleasant bloke indeed. Through him I've met most of the band and crew, have been backstage, etc.

My Dad took me to see "The Wall" on tour - he's a big fan from their very early days - so the Floyd were a large part of my childhood. "WYWH", "Comfortably Numb" and "The Wall (Part 2)" were on my demo CD when I was an aspiring session player, and it's an unbelievable thrill to be able to play those alongside the man himself.

The Australian Pink Floyd would be the band for me. I hate to call them a "tribute" band as I think they go beyond that (bit like The Musical Box and Genesis...) and it's a shame that my kids won't get to see them in the full-on splendour that was Floyd live.

To play with David Gilmour - such a privilege. I gave up guitar playing aged 20 after I sold my Burns Sonic for an engagement ring, (still married to her) and being in the RAF, was posted a long way away, so guitar playing lapsed completely. I had been a 16 yr old in Liverpool, I was in a few bands, even saw The Beatles at The Cavern a few times, so guitar based bands are my preference.
Any track or song with a good guitar in appeals to me. The sight of Snowy White playing the solo to Comfortably Numb, on top of the LH tower in Roger Waters production of The Wall is so iconic; for a lead guitarist, isn't that perfect?
I saw the Australian Pink Floyd at the Theatre Royal in Norwich, awesome perfect performance, note and word perfect, but far too loud for the venue, hearing damage loud.
I think the words of 'Time' are so meaningful, I carry them with me (so Sad)(The Everley's), think its appropriate to add them, so here they are .....
Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
You fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town
Waiting for someone or something to show you the way

Tired of lying in the sunshine, staying home to watch the rain
You are young and life is long and there is time to kill today
And then one day you find, ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun, but its sinking
And racing around to come up behind you again
The sun is the same in a relative way but you’re older
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death

Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time
Plans that either come to nought or half a page of scribbled lines
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
The time is gone, the song is over, thought I’d something more to say
Are we all making the most of each day? I'm not. So why not buy that AMG or visit that place you have always wanted to see - make a bucket list maybe? As I say in my signature - Life is not a rehearsal!

Last edited:
One of my favourite bands, with Dark Side Of The Moon my 'Desert Island' choice.

I saw them twice, at Knebworth in 1975 and then at Wembley Pool (as it was then) on the DSOTM tour. From my point of view it was a great time to see them, as it was when DG finally came out of Sid's shadow and the set list reflected this. They introduced Shine On You Crazy Diamond and Have A Cigar, then went through the whole of DSOTM and if that wasn't enough, Echoes was the encore.

Lovely days.

Thanks very much to John Cook, can't PM him yet, DVD received this morning, first track played -'Time' of course.

Last edited:
I've had the tablet playing random stuff today, was pleased to hear The Fletcher Memorial Home and When The Tigers Broke Free in the mix so far...

My favourite band of all time. I was lucky enough to see pulse at earls court. Whenever I'm bored I puts me headphones in and listens to floyd!
I also love led zep but floyd are just incredible. Anyone who has no real association with floyd should just do a you tube search and watch pulse with some headphones in :thumb:

Please don't link to sites which breech copyrights, you'll get this forum in trouble

Do what you want via email, but don't involve this forum.

Last edited:
I thought you may enjoy this from an open mic benefit gig Saturday night, for a guy with terminal cancer.

It's a bit rough around the edges as it was unplanned - my lad and the very talented Kevin (sat down) hadn't played it together before.

if nothing else it shows some of the yoof of today have good musical taste :thumb:.

ps - it runs ok at 480p.

[YOUTUBE]SUsTpXEvF8M[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
I thought you may enjoy this from an open mic benefit gig Saturday night, for a guy with terminal cancer.

It's a bit rough around the edges as it was unplanned - my lad and the very talented Kevin (sat down) hadn't played it together before.

if nothing else it shows some of the yoof of today have good musical taste

Really excellent rendition, good to hear some audience members knew the words as well, and all in an excellent cause.

if nothing else it shows some of the yoof of today have good musical taste :thumb:.

Excellent rendition of a 70's Anthem:thumb:, credit to your boy for his choise in music. this and DSOTM form part of the soundtrack to my life.

Nice to know how Dara O'Briain spends his leisure time as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom