Pink Floyd Thing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

imadoofus

MB Enthusiast
Car
This and that.
This means nothing to me, but I know that some of you may be interested...

NME said:
Pink Floyd guitarist to release Syd Barrett tribute
Date: 24 November 2006

Pink Floyd guitarist David Gilmour is to release a single in tribute to his former bandmate Syd Barrett.

The EP will feature live performances of two songs written by the reclusive star, who died earlier this year from pancreatic cancer.

One of the tracks, 'Arnold Layne', features vocals from David Bowie, taken from Gilmour's Royal Albert Hall show in London earlier this year.

Bowie was a big fan of Barrett's songwriting, and paid warm tribute to him when he died.

The second version of 'Arnold Layne' on the EP also features a version featuring Pink Floyd keyboard player Rick Wright.

The EP also contains an acoustic version of Barrett's solo track 'Dark Globe'.

The EP is released as a download on Christmas Day, before appearing in shops the following day. It will be available for three weeks only.
PJ

There's only one track of their's that I like and thats "Take it Back!

Flash said:
There's only one track of their's that I like and thats "Take it Back!

I could get all Floydian and say, thats Gilmours incarnation of Pink Floyd as by the time of Divison Bell, Roger Water had left and they never really hit the right sound after his departure. But Comfortably numb, especially live versions, really do show them for what they became. I still have a thing about The Final Cut, as some tracks on that are very good. It is obvious that some are tracks that were dumped from the Wall album, and it continues on Roger Waters "Pros and cons of Hitchking"

Must admit tho, Barrets 60's Pink Floyd never hit the sound for me either. I think however, that one of the tracks on "Saucer full of secrets" Was the worlds first ever track written for a Kazoo.

May I suggest you try listening to "On the turning away" On this album:-http://www.amazon.co.uk/Momentary-Lapse-Reason-Pink-Floyd/dp/B000025078

That is a good redition of classic floyd after Waters departure.

Of course you are free to dislike that, and in fact, where would be if everyone thought like me!

PS. Do not, however, subject yourself to Scissor Sisters "Comfortably Numb". It really does ruin the original, altho i know someone who said it was good. They soon took a different view after hearing the Floyd version on "Is there anybody Out There?" The Wall, Live.

I have to be honest, i like Floyd just as much after RW's departure as before ...

Momentary Lapse of Reason is as good an album as any , a particularly under rated song is One Slip .....

As you mentioned, Final Cut is mainly left overs from the Wall....

I really like the way Gilmour has taken Floyd since RW's leaving, The Division Bell has now grown to become one of my faves ..... although to be fair , the very first time i heard it ( i was still at school ) i felt really let down :eek:

And lets face it , Gilmour can sing a hell of a lot better then RW ....

RW is going a concert at Earls Court later next year i believe ....

BTW , the best 'Comfortably Numb' is a toss up between the one on 'Delicate Sound' and 'Pulse' ..... ;) too close to call

What do you think of "Depeche Mode" H...?

PS. I like quite a few of their tracks.

Howard said:

BTW , the best 'Comfortably Numb' is a toss up between the one on 'Delicate Sound' and 'Pulse' ..... ;) too close to call

And his redition of it at that guys Meltdown concert in '02 takes some beating too, but surprisngly, waters version on his tour, is a good version too. I agree with your comments about DG, but for me, the sound of Pink Floyd changed as RW took it with him. His albums continue that thread which to me mean we know have 2 types of Floyd sound and that can only be a good thing!

Didnt they just stuff the rest at Live8?

Flash said:
What do you think of "Depeche Mode" H...?

PS. I like quite a few of their tracks.

Yeah , i quite like a few of their things too , TBH i'm not that clued up on them ....

Enjoy the silence is good ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom