Pinking Noise Question?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Elkesprint

Car
C200K Avantgarde Estate
Hi all,

Just got a C200 K Avantgarde estate Auto 51 plate with 47k full MBSH.

When starting her up in the morning there is a noise which sound like Pinking after the car is warm this stops but is noticeable again when driving with the window down or when pressing on. I have had a good look around the engine and exhaust and can't see any think thats leaking!

Any ideas! :confused:

Thanks Elkesprint

Great forum looking forward to being part of it!

Hi all,

Just got a C200 K Avantgarde estate Auto 51 plate with 47k full MBSH.

When starting her up in the morning there is a noise which sound like Pinking after the car is warm this stops but is noticeable again when driving with the window down or when pressing on. I have had a good look around the engine and exhaust and can't see any think thats leaking!

Any ideas! :confused:

Thanks Elkesprint

Great forum looking forward to being part of it!
The pinking on my 1998 C180 Estate was fixed when I replaced the MAF. But my pinking was only noticeable under load and most obvious when driving uphill.

Sorry to hi-jack the thread, but i hear pinging and crackles after a journey when i turn off the engine. lasts for about a minute or 2. is this normal?

Hi Chaps

This noise appears when I first start and goes when warm, more noticeable when at a stand still with the auto box in Park.

I have been using Supermarket fuel :rolleyes: I will try a tank from a quality station and see if that makes a difference.

Is there a post / picture of where the MAF is, and , can it be taken apart easily for cleaning or adjustment?

Thanks for your replies so far

Cheers

Elkesprint

Sorry to hi-jack the thread, but i hear pinging and crackles after a journey when i turn off the engine. lasts for about a minute or 2. is this normal?

Hi 240.

Could that be the engine cooling after a drive out?

Elkesprint

Hi 240.

Could that be the engine cooling after a drive out?

Elkesprint

im not sure. but it sounds like the same symtoms as yours. however your goes when warmed up but mine can only really be heared once warmed up and parked. i sometimes hear other cars in car parks with the same pinging, so could be just some kind of cooling down procedure, not sure..

Hi Chaps

This noise appears when I first start and goes when warm, more noticeable when at a stand still with the auto box in Park.

I have been using Supermarket fuel :rolleyes: I will try a tank from a quality station and see if that makes a difference.

Is there a post / picture of where the MAF is, and , can it be taken apart easily for cleaning or adjustment?

Thanks for your replies so far

Cheers

Elkesprint

Be careful about cleaning that . It is very sensitive and if it's on its way out, it will only be a temporary fix.

Well I have filled up with "good fuel" and covered obout 110mmls today, The pinking noise is definately quieter and she seems to runs smoother than before!

Elkesprint

Well done Elkesprint,
Let's hope that a couple of tankfuls of decent fuel will see the problem sorted. After a similar experience I will not use supermarket fuel again. Through choice I use Texaco, Shell, BP, Esso and I've never had the problem return. More mpg too.
Cheap isn't always cheapest!
Best Wishes,
Ron

Cheers All,

The pinking is definately quieter with texaco fuel,the pinking noise is still there in the background though.

I have noticed when the engines warm and you stand outside and blip the throttle you can here the pinking noise!:confused: ??

Elkesprint

Try some injector cleaner it could be a blocked injector.

I try and fill up with 98 octane after I have had 2 tank fulls of the usual 95 octane. It does make a difference.

Have a look at the flexible exhaust joint under the car if you have one. It maybe the cause of the noise. Very common when the cars were new.

It maybe just the Diesel models that had the flexi joint not the petrol. Cant remember. Pop your head underneath and have a look. Woven mesh joint is what you are looking for towards the front.

Hi C55

I will definately have a look for this Flexible joint, have to admit sometimes this Pinking noise sounds like a there is a leak in the exhaust but after she warmed up it the noise disapears...

Thanks Elkesprint

Hi C55

I will definately have a look for this Flexible joint, have to admit sometimes this Pinking noise sounds like a there is a leak in the exhaust but after she warmed up it the noise disapears...

Thanks Elkesprint

In that case it could be a cracked manifold.

In that case it could be a cracked manifold.

Hi Guys

Had a look for a flexible joint today and couldn't see one, I hope it's not a cracked manifold:eek: Is there any DIY checks? I have had a good sniff around under the bonnet couldn't smell anythink.

Any suggestions welcome!

Elkesprint

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom