Pinking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chimalsu

Car
clk 320 e
my clk 320 has develloped a ticking perhaps pinking noise from the rear right hand side of the engine bay when put under load ie accelerate from low speeds anyone had this it seems to be getting gradually worse

I believe pinking is caused by excess fuel burning in the exhaust.. So coming from the engine bay not sure its that. I had a mondeo:eek: that did this it was the exhaust flow meter or something like that, could be lamda (spelling!!?) sensor??? But I am no mechanic..:D

My TVR did this once, turned out to be a faulty fuel regulator.

ADY1983 said:
I believe pinking is caused by excess fuel burning in the exhaust.. So coming from the engine bay not sure its that. I had a mondeo:eek: that did this it was the exhaust flow meter or something like that, could be lamda (spelling!!?) sensor??? But I am no mechanic..:D

Nope, pinking is caused by pre-ignition of the fuel, usually caused by running too low an octane rating (not really a problem anymore), excessive carbon build up in the chamber or incorrect ignition timing.

To hazard a guess I would have the fault codes read, could be a faulty maf sensor, temperature sensor or crank sensor.... etc..... etc.....

I had the same problem two or three weeks ago and did the followings involving several visits to the garage.

a) Ensure knock sensor is properly connected but eventually replaced it with a new one.
b) Replaced the cam shaft advancer (gear) with a new one.
c) Flush engine and change engine oil.
d) Almost did a top overhaul suspecting oil pressure not reaching the cam shaft advancer to operate it.
e) Replace air mass sensor (MAF) with a new one.

There was no improvement after doing a) to d). Pinking completely disappeared afte e).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom