Pioneer AVIC F80-DAB losing GPS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Astonv12

Car
w219 CLS 350 CDi Grand Edition Palladium Silver
Hi All

I've had a Pioneer AVIC F80DAB unit installed in my CLS for the last 6 months and every few days it completely loses GPS signal.

The guy that fitted it didn't wire up the speed pulse sensor wire, and the place where I bought the unit reckon thats the issue.

Does anyone know where I need to connect the wire in the car from the back of the headunit?

Heres hoping!!! Its doing my nut having to either pull the unit out and remove all power or disconnect the battery every few days. And because I can't set the dash clock without the comand unit I have to do it at noon or midnight to ake sure the time is right!! :wallbash:

Why is there no speed pulse?

Does it sense reverse?
Does it dim the screen when you put the lights on?
Does the steering wheel controls work?

If not then you need a proper install adapter.

Should have something like this...

https://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/con...-slk-r171-2002-can-bus-interface-adaptor.html

It dims the screen okay. I don;t have a reversing camera and yes, the steering wheel controls all work fine.
I don't think the installer connected the speed pulse wire, but not sure that would cause the unit to constantly lose GPS signal..?

If you have steering wheel controls and the screen dims you have a can bus adapter, the speed pulse should be in there if that is the case.

There should be speedpulse cable on that adpater, there is also a speedpulse cable on the back of the Pioneer, just plug that in.

Can you see what satellites the unit is seeing in a menu somewhere?

Without speedpulse the units get confused and thinks you are off map. It is probably that.
However, it could be the GPS aerial is goosed of course, but slide the unit out and plug the speed pulse cables together before worrying too much.

Thanks for the quick reply!

In the menu it shows the GPS aerial as functioning OK, but there are no GPS satellites showing as connected. Only way to get it to pick them up again is to pull the power completely.

I'm taking back to the installer tomorrow... I have a feeling he's also used the OEM GPS aerial too, apparently they have varying voltages which can also cause problems?

So... check speed pulse wire is connected and then make sure he's used the Pioneer GPS aerial.

Fingers crossed it works!! I'll be gutted if I have to send the head unit back :-(

Do you have a dashcam fitted?? Some of these have been found to interfere with a gps signal

I would use the Pioneer GPS aerial yeah. Just tuck it under the dash above the stereo, it works perfectly there and dead easy to install.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom